ARC-LS 2nd as an EDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I'm trying to get a feel for how many of you that have an LS 2nd use it for an EDC. With this light being a 2nd and not a 1st run, how does it stand up to the demands of being an every-day-carry? Is it tight enought to handle a drenching rain? Is the lens easily scratched? Can it handle a fall or two?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think the main issues separating the first versus second editions has been quality/toughness but rather beam quality characteristics, although I know they are still doing some tweaks on some mechanical issues such as the battery retention foam ring. I didn't do any water tests but I've thrown my around the room and the batteries have compressed to stop the light from functioning but the light itself held up with no problems.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by this_is_nascar:
I'm trying to get a feel for how many of you that have an LS 2nd use it for an EDC. With this light being a 2nd and not a 1st run, how does it stand up to the demands of being an every-day-carry? Is it tight enought to handle a drenching rain? Is the lens easily scratched? Can it handle a fall or two?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

nascar,
I have had no problems whatsoever with my LS Second. It has been working flawlessly since I recieved it. The only thing that I can see that would have made it a 'Second' is that the 123A and single AA battery cases are of a different shade of HA grey. Other than that, the beam is perfectly centered and ths physical action of twisting the light on/off is very smooth.

Eric

Willmore

Enlightened
Mine is great for EDC. I have the old lens design and it does get scratched up a little--when kept in a pocket with HA-III ARC-AAAs. But, it does not at all seem to effect the function of the light. I could polish them out if they bugged me.

I have little doubt that it'd survive a nasty fall. Might be a little bad if it was on when it happened--as the battery would be in contact with the PCB--but I have little fear for it. It's a solid piece of metal.
smile.gif

I've not had any leaking problem. I've used it in the rain and the shower and had no problems. I haven't stuck it in the toilet like some people, though.
smile.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone rigged a clip for the Arc LS? I wonder if the clip on a AA Maglight would slip right onto the AA battery compartments for the ARC LS. I'd like to make the ARC LS my primary light if and when i get it. A pocket clip would make it THE perfect EDC light for me.

BTW, how does the ARC LS using the 123 battery feel in your pocket? Is it too bulky if you have slacks or khakis on? If not, then i wouldn't mind a pocket clip then.

T-Rex

Newly Enlightened
When going out to dinner, I will put the LS 123 into the slack's change pocket.

It's not very obvious when walking around, especially if you put keys in the same pocket (note, I carry only 4 keys and a Photon II on my keyring).

Placing it vertically into the change pocket will prevent the LS from growing a brain and trying to lie horizontally in your pocket (Rather uncomfortable).

For reference, the LS 123 is the same diameter as a C cell, and about 1/2 an inch longer.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T-Rex:

For reference, the LS 123 is the same diameter as a C cell, and about 1/2 an inch longer.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OOOo...I have lots of C cell batteries laying around from my LC100. I'll walk around with that in my pockets for a day and see how that feels.

Thanks BTW for conducting the test. Of course, if i had one, i wouldn't be askin. Boy i wish i had a white and cyan LS.
grin.gif

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely sturdy enough for EDC.
The LS with 123 disappears into pants pockets! Though, I have to admit that I carry everything in my front pants pockets.
Right pocket: Large Sebenza in cordura sheath, Arc LS 123

Left pocket: Money-clip/credit card holder, phone.

When I'm in shorts and jeans, everything except the Seb is in a fanny pack.

Aloha

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Arc-LS is an easy EDC flashlight and I highly recommend it as such. I have been carrying an E-1 on a Keychain daily along with a Wrackworks battery case plue an Arc-aaa. This has been easier and more comfortable than you might think. The Arc-LS is even an easier carry than the E-1. Also the Arc-LS is just the right size to slip into a watch pocket on a pair of jeans.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
My EDC is quite extensive. On a typical day, I carry in my bag, a notebook computer, Printer and supplies. On my person, A spydertool, a Benchmade Knife, A 6 volt or 9 volt SureFire (useually and E2 or a 9Z, two firearms with a reload for the primary, a Fisher space pen, wallet, A keychain with a WrackWorks battery case containing two 123's, an Arc-AAA, an Arc-LS, and of course keys. If done correctly, this can be done with the greatest of ease.

bwcaw

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LEDagent:
Has anyone rigged a clip for the Arc LS? I wonder if the clip on a AA Maglight would slip right onto the AA battery compartments for the ARC LS. I'd like to make the ARC LS my primary light if and when i get it. A pocket clip would make it THE perfect EDC light for me.

BTW, how does the ARC LS using the 123 battery feel in your pocket? Is it too bulky if you have slacks or khakis on? If not, then i wouldn't mind a pocket clip then.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, the minimag clip does fit on the arc ls
2aa pack. This is how i carry mine, when i am in town.
grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by this_is_nascar:
I'm trying to get a feel for how many of you that have an LS 2nd use it for an EDC.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine goes everywhere I go in a small semi-rigid pouch that was once a casing for an old multimeter. The bottom of the pouch is usually full of loose change, and the Arc just kind of floats around on top of it. Then my wallet & smokes sit on top of everything else. The whole mess is then wedged between the fender and seat of my electric wheelchair, and it gets bounced around pretty good because my POS chair has no shock absorption. So far, the Arc has held its ground without fail.

Pop! Quick picture, after removing the wallet. Nothing else has been touched or retouched.

edc1.jpg

Here you can see the Arc LS, half-buried under loose coins. This is how it usually ends up, even if I stand it face-up before leaving the house.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
YCLO

I carry all that everyday but every item does not get used every day. It lights get used about every other day. The computer everyday, the printer about once or twice a week, the spydertool about once a week, the knife about everyother day, the firearms were used once in daily carry around 5 years ago where two people were shot and a total of 4 went to prison and I got a pat on the back from the sheriffs department.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Well, I've been carrying my LS with me since I recieved it. No problems at all. Using a Solitaire cloth key-ring, I have a Spyderco Ladybug on one end attached to the LS using the 123.

Status
Not open for further replies.