So, how about a basic Cree Arc AAA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
There are still some loyal Arc AAA enthusiasts around, so why not capitalize on this, and make a simple 2 stage Cree AAA light? This would be a great thing coming straight from Arc, no stupid flashing or SOS signal modes, no 3rd party homebrews, just Arc and a good light. There's still a hole wide open for this type of thing, probably much more opportunity there than for some hideously expensive, complicated light.

veleno

Enlightened
Jedi Knife said:
straight from Arc, no stupid flashing or SOS signal modes, no 3rd party homebrews

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

With 1 or 2 stage it would be always great!!!!!

cy

Flashaholic
miller mods is actually producing such a mod with real ARC AAA heads.
cree XRE is perfect for applications with no optics. aka don's mule. vf is low enough to drive with alk and nmh AAA. without need for li-ion.

two stage is controlled by a simple twist for low, then twist 1/4 turn further for high.

switch has been dependable so far. enough of these are in the field to prove reliable so far.

Peter really needs to look at this design

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen them. I have several mods here and you guys show me other mods at the GTs. I have already said that I will only work on one project at a time. Sorry. Just one guy.

In the meantime, the current AAA design fills an important niche and sales continue to be strong. From time to time, Nichia will upgrade their 5mm, and we will use that part. After I am done with the LS, I am looking at other projects. One of those being considered is a new AAA design with 2-stage and higher current for larger LEDs. This is really further down the line though.

peter

prof

Enlightened
I think we all understand. Fenix has given lots of people the impression that design is simple. I'd rather have a light that I can trust than one produced quickly.

cy

Flashaholic
no question ARC AAA fills an important niche! one that's not going away any time soon.

but that doesn't mean as other technology comes out you should ignore them.

what go me going on this is Miller Mods super job using cree w/two stage driver. this little mod has got me more excited than any other in quite some time.

it's the first light I'd actually consider EDC over my Li14430/CR2 (nah.. :D )

it's the perfect upgrade for ARC AAA's form and still uses std alk and NMH AAA's. you get long runtime and high output with an ideal beam pattern. it may be currently the highest lumen to cubic in light.

puts out as much light as my Li14430, but of course exact size as ARC AAA. barely gets warm, so little thermal issues.

Please don't invest ALL your energies into new ARC LS. another project with complexity of ARC4 comes with high risks.

when the spanish conquistadors arrived in the new land. after unloading... one of the first actions they took was to burn their ships. that way there was no turning back.

sometimes burning your ships is not the best strategy.

Gransee said:
I have seen them. I have several mods here and you guys show me other mods at the GTs. I have already said that I will only work on one project at a time. Sorry. Just one guy.

In the meantime, the current AAA design fills an important niche and sales continue to be strong. From time to time, Nichia will upgrade their 5mm, and we will use that part. After I am done with the LS, I am looking at other projects. One of those being considered is a new AAA design with 2-stage and higher current for larger LEDs. This is really further down the line though.

peter

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whilst we are
poke2.gif
Peter for new products, can I just say...

Arc AA - 2 STAGE

Thanks.
smile.gif

CFU

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
i can see Peter has his plate full at the moment.

but i really can't see a better choice than a MillerMod's arc aaa.

it's a cree xr-e arc aaa with your choice of drive levels for low and high..

and it seems also your choice of tint.

basically an arc aaa custom built for you, no lottery here. :)

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
THE_dAY said:
i can see Peter has his plate full at the moment.

but i really can't see a better choice than a MillerMod's arc aaa.

it's a cree xr-e arc aaa with your choice of drive levels for low and high..

and it seems also your choice of tint.

basically an arc aaa custom built for you, no lottery here. :)

I definitely need to check into that.

paulr

Flashaholic
The Fenix L0D CE has a rather deep reflector and its diameter is a tad larger than an Arc AAA. That might be necessary for a beam of that type.

I just got back from a trip where I used the L0D CE a lot. What a pain in the neck, having to step through the silly flashing and SOS modes if I wanted to switch from high to low. Medium mode is just useless; with a small light it's either putting out too much light (for close-up use) or not enough (because of power limitations). So I never wanted anything except the highest and lowest setting.

I'd go for a 2-stage Cree- or Seoul-based Arc AAA with L0D CE brightness levels but no bling, any time.

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
Casual Flashlight User said:
Whilst we are
poke2.gif
Peter for new products, can I just say...

Arc AA - 2 STAGE

Thanks.
smile.gif

CFU

WITH A 2AA EXTENDOR

stages: really low and ZOMGWTF#$$%$!! bright

Will a lens be necessary for a cree?

Last edited:

Clickie

Newly Enlightened
To me their is no better light than the Millermod Cree AAA.... I have not put down my Chimo MiniFlupic Arc w/Cree since I got it!! Its basically the same as a MM but with a Flupic instead of MM's two stage. He said he's not doing anymore so I would strongly urge people to get on the MM Cree list....I guarantee you it'll quickly become your favorite light!

I am honestly having trouble fathoming how bright this light is for the size. Some of the much bigger lights of mine that I've been comparing it to oughta be ashamed of themselves:grin2:

For those who keep mentioning the SSC would be a better choice than Cree dont forget about its gummy dome. You're most likely never going to see a SSC in an Arc AAA, at least not from Peter.

http://imageshack.us/

Status
Not open for further replies.