Which is brightest, Fenix L1D or creed Elly?

coldlocus

Newly Enlightened
I saw that both kaidomain and Dealextreme had a version of one of their older light, the Elly, with a cree in it. Their own test shows that it's brighter (or more throw) than Fenix L1D.
Have anyone else compared these lights?
Thanks!

True

Newly Enlightened
They are. I have a Seoul'd Elly, and it isn't quite as bright as my L2D-CE, but close. Not bad for having runtime 2/3 of the 2AA L2D-CE on Turbo. My Cree'd Ellys are still in the mail (or haven't even got that far yet).

coldlocus

Newly Enlightened
Wow, the Elly is close to your L2d? From what I've read, the L2D is much brighter than L1D. So the creed Elly should be brighter than the L1D? That's very cool.:rock:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the DX Cree Elly and the L1D. With Alkalines, using the eyeball gauge they are close. Them having different reflectors makes it hard for me to judge. The Elly has a nicer beem because of the OP reflector.
If I remember what I have read correctly, the L1D with a 14500 is close to the L2D with Alkalines.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
coldlocus said:
Wow, the Elly is close to your L2d? From what I've read, the L2D is much brighter than L1D. So the creed Elly should be brighter than the L1D? That's very cool.:rock:
Sorry to dash your hopes, but I'm afraid not.

I've modded my regular Elly with a Cree P4, and throw is now the same as the L1DCE on high according to my light meter. However, overall output of the L1DCE is still about 25% brighter than the cree-moded Elly. And of course, the L2D on high is at least 50% brighter than the L1D, so there is simply no comparison.

I'm still waiting on on my DX cree-Elly to arrive, but I'm sure throw will be significantly less due to the OP reflector. I also seriously doubt the overall ouput will be up to L1D standards given my own mod results.

Not that the Elly-cree isn't a good buy ... but it's not going to exceed a L1D.

Last edited:

HarveyRich

Enlightened
According to my luxmeter, a creed Elly (my first mod) using direct drive, as per instructions on this board, with a 14500 battery has incredible brightness. I measured the throw (approximate) at 1 m at about 4300 lux, which is brighter than my l2d-CE on turbo--about 3300 lux. I am quite impressed with this output on direct drive.

Latest posts