More spam since buying china lights?

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone else notice an increase in spam since buying form several of the popular Chinese dealers? I don't want to blame the wrong one...but I've noticed spam that is of a more obvious overseas source since I began buying items from 2 of the popular China light dealers.

Last edited:

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Absolutely.
I set up an email account for use with CPF. It was dormant for a long time but DID exist. I bought from Shezwan Flashlight (DAE) using that account. It was the ONLY vendor I gave that address to. Guess what? it gets spammed a lot now. Hmmm coincidence? I doubt it.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get about the same on my personal email as I do my work one. about 15-20/day down a little bit. My personal one is 15 years old and has my insight account forwarded to it. the work one is 2 years old. I'm in the stock tips mail now. Fresh off the pharmaceutical enhancer mails.

jezzyp

Enlightened
I have noticed a large increase in spam, both the pharmaceutical and stock trash. Now you mention it, a year ago I wasn't getting anywhere near this much. Yes I have some china lights. I was wondering what had caused it - I'm normally pretty careful about where I put my email address.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, there is nothing lower on the internet then a spammer and if it is proven that a company who is selling on the CPF is also selling our email address's then it is my opinion they should be banned.

I hate spam

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
I actually noticed a decrease in spam after ordering from a popular chinese dealer... went from 25 to 15 spam messages a day. But then again, the order was cancelled by the dealer as they could not ship me the ordered item within a reasonable amount of time...

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never bought lights from China but get a ridiculous amount of spam nonetheless. Do you know for sure that this is the source of your spam?

I think it's a good idea to use different email addresses for different purposes.

1) Friends and family
2) Trustworthy retailers, internet banking, ebay etc.
3) Suspect or unknown retailers and other dodgy stuff

You can combine 1 and 2 in the same address but not 3. Also it's a good idea to make use of spam filters and the 'block sender' feature.

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have noticed that.I have also gotten several calls at my home phone asking for my nick here trying to sell something. The places that have my home # are not over seas:barf:

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Switch to Gmail and your spam problems will go away. You should be able to forward your current address to a Gmail address and it will filter your spam.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't bought any 'china lights', but my spam is still going up. I think the spammers are just getting more aggressive. I'm getting more of the stock tips BS then every before. :( Does anybody else get spam with random sentences just thrown together? I don't get the purpose of those; they're not even advertising anything. :thinking:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I don't (haven't been able to) buy China lights from Websites.

I have a "real" email addy, and a Yahoo addy.

My Yahoo addy will get 50-60 in the inbox and 2000+ spam in a couple days!

That is why VERY VERY few people EVER get my "real" addy!

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always seem to get inserted in some undesired newsletter whenever I buy electronic gadgetry on eBay.
I just filter the sender address and don't really care.

John Spartan

Newly Enlightened
Yes. It's why I only put the absolute minimum for product registration. Website product registration security leaves much to be desired.

Last edited:

JacobJones

Enlightened
Switch to Gmail and your spam problems will go away. You should be able to forward your current address to a Gmail address and it will filter your spam.

I have had very good experiences with gmail, since switching to them a few months ago I've not receved a single bit of spam. I always use that email adress even when buying form questionable Chinese dealers and still no spam.

I've had hotmail in the past and I recieved several spam emails the day I made the account, I hadn't even given that email adress to anyone yet.

My inbox IS getting spammed with CPF notification emails though, but atleast I want them

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Yahoo! address I use for personal use and a Gmail I use for business. The Yahoo! gets tons of SPAM, which I need to methodically sort through to verify no real mail went there. I get a Gmail SPAM about once every ten days, max. Sometimes, once every three to four weeks.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep. Both DX (Hong Kong) and Superbright LEDs (US) seem to have signed up with Google giving Google the IP address of customers. Everywhere I go on the net I seem to be looking at the same 2 ads.
I am also getting direct e-mailings from DX and Battery Junction (US).

Norm

Retired Administrator

Yep. Both DX (Hong Kong) and Superbright LEDs (US) seem to have signed up with Google giving Google the IP address of customers. Everywhere I go on the net I seem to be looking at the same 2 ads.
I am also getting direct e-mailings from DX and Battery Junction (US).

My original post was over 4 years ago, looking at the question today I'd have to agree with LEDninja, with the exception of Battery Junction.

Norm