LED Diving Flashlight

fenix_fan

Newly Enlightened
Would appreciate some recommendations for a good quality
diving flashlight. Would like LED (not HID).

I don't scuba dive, it's a gift, haven't a clue whether
there is a wide choice of products, or maybe there are only
two or three brands worthy of consideration.

And ideally they need to be available in Australia.

Thank you!

Ritch

Enlightened
Maybe this?

Medium Lights

2410_StealthLite_big.jpg

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]#2410 - StealthLite™ Recoil™ LED

With the new StealthLite™ Recoil™ LED Peli is launching not only a new torch, but a whole new technological innovation: the Recoil LED Technology™. This consists on directing all of the 1 Watt Luxeon LED light back into the reflector, working like a lighthouse - It captures 100% of the light which is reflected forward, obtaining a truly focused beam of pure white light. It features a convenient side-mounted switch for one-hand operation. It is certified to ATEX Category 3 (Zone 2), submersible up to 150 meters, and can be mounted to a variety of work helmets with our versatile bracket kits.

Unconditionally Guaranteed... forever
[/font]

icona_red.gif
150 meters

usa_flag.gif

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Download Document [/font]
displayimage.gif

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CANDLE POWER[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LUMENS[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WEIGHT W/BATTERIES[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BATTERIES[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10.000 CP [/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]32[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]206 g[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4 Alk. "AA" batteries[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AMPS[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]VOLTS[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WATTS[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BATTERY BURN TIME[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6,00[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1,0[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]32 hours @ 10ºC[/font]​

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess would be to look at an Underwater Kinetics Sunlight C8 eLED PLUS.
I've never done any SCUBA outside of a swimming pool, nor do I own the light, but I've played with them at dive shops before. You could also look at the Princeton Tec Shockwave LED.
For smaller type lights there are tons of options from UK, Princeton Tec, and Pelican.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
For something reasonably priced, you could look at Princeton Tec or Underwater Kenetics (UK) for some options. Pelican is a good bet too. I've taken all three in fresh and ocean and they've worked well. They aren't Barbolights, of course, but they're what I like to think of as the end-all, be-all of dive lights ;)

lonestarfl

Newly Enlightened
Princeton Tec or Salvo Diving carry a compact hand held focused
3w Luxeon III dive light. It uses 8 AA for 15+ hour burn times...
two 6v packs in parallel. Underwater Kinetics carries the same 3w Luxeon III in their SL4 eLED light. This light uses 4 C-cells for power. Both these lights retail about US$60-65. All these lights can fit in a BC pocket when not being used.
If you want multiple LED's in a larger lantern size light, UK has these for around US$120-140 in a 4 C cell and 8 C cell size.
I personally use the Heser LED light, 3 C cells with a select Luxeon III. This is a custom German made light with a 180 euro price tag. Similar lights are made by Tek Tite, and Photon Torpedo with similar high price tags..all using
the Luxeon III.
If you want cutting edge LED technology. Get one of the CREE or Seoul modules and fit it to a Pelican Stealthlight. The Stealthlight uses 4 AA for a
6v pack. I bought two of the CREE P4 modules from www.dealextreme.com
for US$12.50 each and put them in a couple of the $25 Stealthlights. The output is nearly double the Luxeon III and the total cost is almost half of
the mass produced Luxeon III dive lights.
Lee

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lonestarfl, you should check out the Barbolights. The U-09 sounds a lot like your Heser but it has 3 of the LEDs in there ;)

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's waterproof?? They claim it is, but I'd personally doubt using a light with an exposed charging port..

JanCPF

Enlightened
ACMarina said:
......I'd personally doubt using a light with an exposed charging port..
Ditto. Does it really have the connector pins exposed to the water? If so it would be a major construction fault IMO. I know what 4% saltwater can do to metals.

I may be biased as I have the awesome Barbolight U15 myself, but even if the price on the WiseLED Tactical was as low as the U15 I would still choose the Barbolight.

And then there is the heat management issue. Does the WiseLED throttle down by itself when submerged too? If so that would be unacceptable. I like to be in control myself of the light needed thank you.

Jan

Last edited:

Walking in the Light

Newly Enlightened
Check out a Heliotek. Use Google and search. May not be suitable as a primary light but a backup. Beam is very narrow but good spill. Full brightness for some 6 hours. Extremely waterproof. Good luck!