toughest torch

golden_creature

Newly Enlightened
what is your nomination for the toughest torch out there-you know,the sort you can drop, kick, beat with a baseball bat ,shoot it, feed it to a medium sized herbivore etc.- you get what i`m saying.so what torch are you most confident about in extreme situations?:dedhorse:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
McLux, HDS, Barbolights Cr2 Ion.....there's quite a number if you ask me. Many very tough lights out here...

Karl

clipse

Enlightened
My vote is for the HDS. They had one at shot show that they had people throw at wall.....repeatedly. The thing looked like hell but still worked just fine.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
What size torch do you want? By basic physics, smaller torches are inherently tougher than larger ones (a hamster can easily survive a fall from a 50 story building and you can't...), so I'd say the toughest torches are the better 1AAA ones (Fenix L0X, Arc AAA, et al) - probably beat anything except a keychain squeeze light in a drop test.

Next up, I'd bet on 1xAA and 1xCR123 lights. Twisty bodies LED lights which only have 2 sections and a good long threaded engagement to spread shock loads ought to be pretty tough. The old Arc LS was anecdotally dropped a lot and as I recall, it held up pretty well - the primary breakage mechanism was when the impact shock was enough to shear the LED die off its base, which is a pretty bad shock. BTW, the old Arc LS had a plastic window which would be tougher than a glass lens. Except for the glass lens thing, I'd expect comparable toughness out of the Civictor V1, the Fenix P1, and it's relatives. Good small clicky equivalents would probably also pretty tough.

I don't have experience dropping the larger lights. Incandescent light filaments would be a weakness and even the shock absorbed ones from Surefire would probably not match the toughness of a good LED, of which there are many, many as noted above.

I'm just guessing at a subtext to your question but: if you want to get a Surefire, you should just go ahead and get one. Head to head comparisons between Surefires and other makes is sometimes a contentious issue for which there is no objective resolution, just lots of viewpoints. Surefire trades on it's claim of toughness and it no doubt is tough in the sense of wall thickness and secure thread engagements (light engines are as noted and switches are another story you can look up). However, anecdotes are not a good indicator of objective toughness; and I don't think anyone has comprehensive statistical information about flashlight toughness the way Consumer Reports has statistical information about automobile repair records.

Last edited:

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree totally with nerdgineer. If a flashlight is lightweight enough, its terminal velocity is substatially less than that required to do major damage to it. Also, lightweight flashlights tend to be flicked out of the way of things like car tyres trying to roll them over, due to their low inertia.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elektrolumens Blaster, have never seen or handled anything more bombproof.

Happens I have never used the ones I have, too bulky and heavy.

Last edited:

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inova X5. Rock solid mofo.
buttrock.gif

That said, I'd trust my HDS EDC in a life or death situation.
smile.gif

CFU

alanagnostic

Enlightened
McGizmo and HDS, with Surefires close behind. I would (and do) trust any of them with my life. I don't think I could pay them any higher praise than that.:rock:

dig-it

Newly Enlightened
Usually when people are describing their Pila lights they all say, "built like a tank". I`m not sure if thats a negative or a positive.:candle:

Cydonia

Enlightened
I'm almost inclined to answer: "The light you build yourself". In a small cigarette pack sized die cast aluminum box with flanged lid and gasket sealed, single LED, battery holder, waterproof industrial equipment switch and a whole lot of epoxy…

I agree with nerdgineer completely too by the way with his other crucial observations. A single Cr2032 cell powered 1 LED key chain light can be hard to beat… (if only they made the housings truly water and corrosion proof!)

Last edited: