SureFire's TIR optic, not as useless as I thought it would be....

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
I just got my L1 from Tacticalsupply.com today, my first SureFire TIR-equipped light, and it definitely caught me by surprise.....

I'm not a fan of optics, give me a nice reflector anyday, i love the balanced hotspot/spill produced by a reflector, other TIR equipped lights i've tried (tried an Inova X0 and T1) left me underwhelmed, so i wasn't looking forward to what i imagined was going to be an "all hotspot/no spill" beam profile from the L1, in fact, i had been planning to either do a reflector swap myself, or send it to Milkyspit to be modded......

for closeup work, yes, the SF TIR does project a very tight beam, too tight for close work, but at any distance past 5 feet, it actually puts out a reasonably good size spot of light, not as wide as a good reflector, but not unusable either

I tried mocking up an F04 with a Minimag anti-roll rubber bezel and a sanded clear Mag plastic lens, that greatly improved close-in usability, turning the spot-beamed TIR into a decent flooder, i may just have to pick up an F04 beamshaper (if i can't make my own by cutting down a Minimag antiroll bezel....)

Hmm, maybe i won't *have* to reflectorize the L1, as it throws *amazingly* well for a one cell light.....

i just wish it was a little shorter, heck, it's almost as long as my A2 Aviator, it;s not as pocketable as my E1e, but it *is* more hand-freindly, much like the A2, it's far more comfortable in hand than the E1e, which is just a hair too short for my meathooks

so, the SF TIR optic seems to be more useful than i thought it would be, with a F04, the L1 is almost the perfect pocket light (it just needs to be a little shorter)

savumaki

Enlightened
I got one some months back and I think its great- perfect for close range work or indoors,
I have an E2e w/a prt head which is my 'reach out and touch me light' (I can't see any further) now I'm thinking of getting a KL4 head for my E2e and the three should be my working stable for a while.

Good choice on the L1.

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
I really like my E1L, which also has TIR optics, with a F04 diffuser for close-up work. It's really great for this purpose and it's only about 4" long. Without the diffuser, it gives off plenty of light for walking around outside (for example) and has lots of throw for a 1-celled light. I think its an excellent EDC.

Last edited: