Adventure racing light

Status
Not open for further replies.

NamTinker

Newly Enlightened
Probably not many flashlight fanatics from Africa on this forum...
What would be the ideal adventure racing (Eco Challenge/Raid etc) LED light? Keep in mind brightness - to be able to run/jog over rough terrain, quality - map reading, long life - at least 8 hours with maybe one battery change, battery type - CR123 type VERY expensive over here, Waterproofness/ruggedness - riding in a pack with other stuff for 5-6 days etc.
Currently using Princeton Tec Matrix with a Surefire 6P for range/spot work. Going now for an Inova X5 until the Arc-LS becomes available. Any comments/input would be welcomed.

tygger

Enlightened
how about the expedition 300 by tektite? it has 7 LED's, C cells, very long runtime, waterproof, etc. you can check craig johnson's site for a review. but maybe C-cells are too heavy? if you need a much smaller light the princeton tec attitude would be a good choice. although with only 3 LEDs the light output isn't all that great.

bwcaw

Enlightened
I don't have one personally, but i would
recommend the Princeton Tec Aurora. It has all the same features as the Petzl Tikka, with the additon of didgital regulation, multiple modes(flashing, dim-long run time,and bright-shorter run time), and it is
WATERPROOF!campmor follow this link, and go to the
flashlight section, and they have about the best prices anywhere on camping gear. If you are on Eco- challenge wave at the camera for
us.
grin.gif

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I recomend the Aurora for walking but not running, the LED doesn't give enough distance. Check out TTS for the best price I found.
The X5 uses the 123's if you were not aware of that. The Princeton Tec Attitude is a good area light. I don't have the Impact by PT but it has a better throw. The PT lights use AA or AAA's. If you are looking for a light, good throw, LED you are probably going to need one with a Luxeon Star. Maybe a Lambda Illuminator He might ship to Africa. Search on the Forum for it.
Best Wishes.

NamTinker

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice - the 123 type batteries are used "only" for races
Found the Lambda site. Looks very good. BUT, no orders are taken! If you guys battle to get hold of things in the States, just spare a though for us over here!
Now if somebody would just add a Lamda Illuminator to the back end of 6P/6Z we racers might have the best of both worlds and only one light (and battery type)to carry.
There is a huge potential market available in our sport - just waiting for someone to fill.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts