New member! Please recommend me a light...

transammanv8

Newly Enlightened
Well, let me say I am a helicopter mechanic and need a good light for my inspections. I currently have a Surefire A2, a Surefire C3 and a rechargable Streamlight Stinger.

The Surefire lights are awsome, but I can't keep swapping batteries every day, sometimes twice. I do love my C3 the most.

I bought the Stinger in hopes that it would be what I wanted, since so many people at work have the rechargable Streamlights. Well, it has been a pos since it came out of the box. I don't like it for various reasons, mainly being that it feels very poorly made and is the most unreliable light I have used. I'm sure it's not the norm, but nonetheless, my experience.

What can I look at for rechargable lights? I don't mind spending money for a GREAT light, as long as it does what I need. I just wish there was a light comparable to my C3 that lasted longer than the blink of an eye. Suggestions? Anything new coming to the market?

jph

Newly Enlightened
Do you need something really small?
oh yea, and Welcome!:party:

greenLED

Flashaholic
I'm a huge fan of Pila lights - absolutely bomb-proof construction, very bright and high-quality beams, they offer the option of using li-ion rechargeables or 123's, and you can also get the optional LED tailcaps for those times when you don't need a lot of light. They also have LED drop-in modules to replace the incan lamp assembly - they're bright as well.

IMO, the GL3 offers the best balance of features, brightness and runtime of their entire series.

moontroll

Newly Enlightened
I recomend a Fenix light,with rechagrable batteries(enelopes).I still use a L1P everyday(old school).Look at the 1 and 2 battery options.Outside of that the Headlights work great to (unless your hair will mind).

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED said:
I'm a huge fan of Pila lights - absolutely bomb-proof construction, very bright and high-quality beams, they offer the option of using li-ion rechargeables or 123's, and you can also get the optional LED tailcaps for those times when you don't need a lot of light. They also have LED drop-in modules to replace the incan lamp assembly - they're bright as well.

IMO, the GL3 offers the best balance of features, brightness and runtime of their entire series.

Such a Pila fanboy :ironic: :p but I do have to agree with the green kid.

bridgman

Enlightened
I'm not sure if the C3 is one of those which has a specially machined body to make it hard to use rechargeable Li-ion cells, but my *guess* is that a pair of protected 17500 Li-ion cells would fit, would give about the same output and runtime as 3x CR123's, and would be rechargeable at the end of the day.

Since nobody has suggested this yet maybe they know something about the C3 I don't.

Drew

Newly Enlightened
Try a Fenix L2D CE (Approx $55)along with a set of NiMh rechargeable AA batteries and a decent charger. One set of 4 batteries and a 4 bay charger should keep you running all day. I really like the Rayovac Hybrids from wal-mart in mine.

transammanv8

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I think I might try the Fenix L2D CE since so many recommended it.

One guy at work uses a headlight setup. What is a good brand for that? Thanks again.

greenLED

Flashaholic
DUQ said:
Such a Pila fanboy :ironic: :p but I do have to agree with the green kid.
:laughing: Tell that to the Fenix fanboys :nana: saying an L2D CE is comparable to a SF C3.

reltor

Newly Enlightened
Get something made by Wayne at Elektrolumens. His lights are tough,bright, and have a lot of character.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest the L2DCE. It has great output, great runtime, and will cost you nothing to run after you buy some rechargable NIMH cells.

As far as headlamps go the EOS is pretty damn good but it has a very small spill beam which might not be what you are looking for.

There is a member Engpaul (or something like that) who is selling modified headlamps that have a P4 LED in them. They will be VERY VERY bright compared to anything on the market. No comparison. They are very reasonably priced at $47. You might want to check that out.

moontroll

Newly Enlightened
A head light I would look at the Princeton Tec Corona or Apex AA's models depending on your needs.I have the Apex and use it alot,but I,m thinking of getting the Corona,I need the flood and its a little lighter.The Apex is the best of both worlds,flood and throw with just a flick of the switch.

Last edited:

Drew

Newly Enlightened
greenLED said:
:laughing: Tell that to the Fenix fanboys :nana: saying an L2D CE is comparable to a SF C3.

The L2D stomps all over the SF C3:whoopin: in terms of runtime :duck:
:lolsign:
Probably a big winner in terms of value per $$ too. Considering 2 replacement lamps cost as much as the L2D.

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the L2D-CE, just based on the numbers and other Fenix lights I have. If you have patience, you might consider the Rexlight 2.0 at DealExtreme if the first adopters confirm that it is a good design.

transammanv8

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered the L2DCE. I'll let you guys know how I like it. :grin2: I needed a new hobby and think I just found one. Now, I just need to read up on these. I never realised all of the options that are out there, lol. Where is the best place to start reading about modding or even good info in general (besides the forum)? Thanks again.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Good info on flashlights can be found on review sites, Like flashlight Reviews and the LED museum, both are members here (quickbeam and the LEDmuseum). The Flashlight museum is also pretty cool and so are the flashlight dealer websites IMHO.

Welcome to CPF! Search around and stay awhile, I think this is the best forum I have been to.