Is Dorcy 1W LED drop-in out yet?

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I kind of agree with Hando on this however have noticed Dorcy is slow to catch up most often......I am sure Dorcy will eventually catch on to the Cree movement however most likely it will be months from now. Any idea of actual cost on whatever version they do have now ??

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, my local Sears dept stores have had the Variable Power LED upgrade on order since 1/28 but the two local hardware specific Sears stores each had many of them on hand.

I got one... pretty nice for what it is. Sends more current to the bulb depending on how many cells are running it. The LEDs are very exposed and looks like it would be super simple to swap to a Cree or an SSC. On 2 cells, it only sends 285mA to the LED, and is rated at 37 Lumens on 2 cells, which with an SSC swap might be good for 60 - 80 Lumens and very respectable runtime.

Here's a thread with a lot of good imformation:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=155671

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:
...even lesser heatsink space than the magled
Maybe, but I just use it with my 2D as an emergency light and it works fine. And I like that, unlike the magled, I could use it with 3D and 4D lights.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are $14.99 at the Sears department stores and $17.99 (or maybe $17.49) at the hardware specific stores in my area.

They do get a little warm even on just on 2 cells, but that is the nature of a PR based drop in. If you want full heatsinking, order a heatsink, an emitter and wire it up properly.

nana.gif

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
carbine15 said:
I miss the 4-die smjled PR2 drop ins...:sigh:

True, but the Variable Power led only pulls about twice the current as the SMJLED does... 410mA vs 180mA (both from 2 C cells) and is whiter. Plus, the PR based SMJLED is driving it at the very edge of it's spec'd range, possibly beyond it while the Variable Power is significantly under-driving the 1W LED.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
cratz2 said:
True, but the Variable Power led only pulls about twice the current as the SMJLED does... 410mA vs 180mA (both from 2 C cells) and is whiter. Plus, the PR based SMJLED is driving it at the very edge of it's spec'd range, possibly beyond it while the Variable Power is significantly under-driving the 1W LED.

Okay but how low will it drain a battery? My SMJLED PR2 will drain a set of D cells to .01 volts each and still produce a bit of light. I bet these stop at .5 or higher.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
carbine15 said:
Okay but how low will it drain a battery? My SMJLED PR2 will drain a set of D cells to .01 volts each and still produce a bit of light. I bet these stop at .5 or higher.

I hear ya. I think for general use, the Variable Power LED is perhaps a better option. For survival roles or if you know you are going to be stranded for a week at a time, the SMJLED is the way to go. Of my LED Mag mods, I have my U-bin/nFlex as my main light, the Variable Power LED in a 2C and one of the SMJLEDs in a 2D. I think Chevro got about 180 hours to 50% on 2 D cells.