High Dome LS???

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking through the treads looking for information on the HD's but did not find what I was looking for. I have a number of question and was hoping someone would be good enough to answer them.

1. The white HD's...These are going to be in the Arc-LS in the future???

2. What is the expected Lumens on these???

3. Will there be any change in battery runtimes with these???

4. When might we see these available in the Arc-LS???

Thanks in advance for any education that anyone can provide.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonSidneyB:

1. The white HD's...These are going to be in the Arc-LS in the future???

2. What is the expected Lumens on these???

3. Will there be any change in battery runtimes with these???

4. When might we see these available in the Arc-LS???

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - PG said so
2 - 30 for the HD vs 18 for the current LD
3 - seems like same current draw LD vs HD
4 - PG said probably November

As the HD and the 5W-er are SAID to be available in July (this year
grin.gif
) Peter is either a bit hesitant to have the same problems with too much too early or he is just realistic as the white HD parts had been promissed already to be available last year, then Q1 this year, then April this year - and now July ..... (this year) .....

Lets see

So far I trust Peter more than Lumiled
cool.gif

Klaus

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Klaus:

3 - seems like same current draw LD vs HD
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought Lumileds upped the input current spec on the HDs to 400ma to get 30 lumen (vs 350ma for the LD). Does anyone have any definitive info here?
confused.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hotfoot:
I thought Lumileds upped the input current spec on the HDs to 400ma to get 30 lumen (vs 350ma for the LD). Does anyone have any definitive info here?
confused.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes.

smile.gif

OK. OK. I will say a little. The HD parts utilize several improvments. One is EOS, which is the improved phosphor application. EOS is Easy tO Spot
smile.gif
. It is just an internal code name actually. But they are easy to spot compared to the non-EOS. The die has a much thinner coating of phosphor and it is only applied to the die, not the reflector. The pre-EOS where positively gooped with phosphor. The beam is much smoother and the color more even. No more greenish rings.

One potential downside is with the optics, the beam has a square and a circle pattern. This is similar to the colored LSs in appearance. This means we need to line the die square up with the lens circle during manufacturing. This is true for both the para optics and the nx-05 optics. A plus is that more of the output is concentrated in the center of the beam so it projects further and allows you to make out details at a greater distance. The general increase in output is nice too.
smile.gif
The beam now has a more "ideal flashlight" distribution to it. Meaning that more than half the output is in a tight center spot and the rest of the output in a soft but very useful peripheal corona. In application, this combination is very usefull.

I venture to say that some of the increased efficiency is a direct result of the thinner phosphor layer. But the die itself is also more efficient. The spec sheet say the average efficiency is 18lm/W, which is same as for the LD parts. The HD whites are obviously brighter than the LD parts so I expect the spec sheet to morph like the LD specs did last year when they first came out.

Maximum continous current is still specified to be 350mA and the maximum temp is still at 120 degrees celsius. The data sheets for this part are now available.

Of course, the million dollar question is always: when will these ship? Lumileds says that they will ship in a month or two, but I tend to expect things to take a little longer than that. We are projecting November for limited quantities. Price to flashlight will initially be higher, but should settle down after that.

Peter

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Peter! That is good news - those HDs really sound like something to look forward too, especially with no increase in current draw for the upwardly-revised output 'cos I guess that also means no increased heat either.

Can't imagine what Lambda will do next once he gets his mitts on these 30-lumen beasts - if he puts them in his 4xLS hydra - whoa - that's 120 lumens! That's SF territory!!! :O

OOOooooooooooo... *grimacing* - I simply cannot wait for the Arc-LS with those new HDs. I'm already thinking the new Arc-LS+123pack will be *the* total SF E1-killer...

I suppose asking next for a beamshot comparison of the new HDs vs LDs w/optics is pushing it *just* a little ?
wink.gif
grin.gif

On a side note, Nichia has just been so darn quiet about their new hi-power LEDs too - wonder if they're watching for Lumileds to launch the HDs first, then following suit with some sort of Luxeon-killer. Argh. My nails can't take all this chewing....

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the realativly wide beam of the Current Arc-LS. I still like the higher output so long as it does not increase overall size and runtimes too much. I want my Arc-LS's to be the ultimate portable general use utility lights, not maximum blasters. There is a place for killer light output but there is also a place for small effecient utility lights.
Please keep the Arc-LS small.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gransee:
This is true for both the para optics and the nx-05 optics.
Peter
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Peter,

can you elaborate on these PARA optics please ?

TIA

Klaus

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Klaus:
Peter,

can you elaborate on these PARA optics please ?

TIA

Klaus
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Short for parabolic (the original white optics).

Peter

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Peter,

and for a short moment I thought I caught you revealing some new feature
grin.gif

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.