Victorinox Luxeon light??

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
While looking around at my local Target I found a combo packed item labeled as a Victorinox Luxeon light with a Swiss Army pocket knife.....The Luxeon light is powered by 2-AA batteries and uses a reflector and glass lens.

I was able to actually handle the light and it suprised me as it appeared to be very nice quality and nice tint as well. Having no experience with this brand I held off on the purchase at 35 dollars however after searching a little I found that this light is made by the makers of the Inova brand.

The entire light module is one section and slides tightly into the body with 2 o-rings attatched. It is a slick little set up and looks to handle heat very well also. Has anyone got any long term impressions of this light?.....surely if Inova is involved it must be decent quality and to me it just "looked" very nicely done.

I found a little photo of the light on pocketlights blog site and any input would be appreciated.

FrogsInWinter

Enlightened

Robocop

Thanks for the link Frogs and yes that is the exact light I saw.....very nice quality and about the same size as the Mag AA Luxeon however looks to have much better heatsinking......Plus what appeared to be a glass lens.

It is hard to describe how the light engine is built and now that I think about it the light may not have great heatsinking. The entire light engine slides out the front of the bezel and is what looks to be a one part design. There are 2 O-rings towards the top that keep the entire light engine whater resistant once slid inside the light body and make for a very tight fit as I did remove it by hand. Simple press in design with no threads at all but very tight fit none the less.

The modder in me quickly thought of several ways I could use the press in design of the light engine in various other hosts....may be worth the money just to play around with it anyway.

spinkid

Newly Enlightened
I have the 2AA version. I purchased it at my local Eastern Mountain Sports for $30-ish just before the new year. It works great for me and I have no problems with it. I don't believe the LED is 4.8 watts though (unless they changed specs or I never never noticed). Before I gave my sister my L2P, I compared the beams and I believe they were about the same visually but with the Swiss Army having a whiter tint. As far as the light being based off the Bolt series, I am not sure of that. I thought I read somewhere here that is was based of the radiant series (which I have as well). Either way, I enjoy my light and works great for my uses.
Mine did not come with a red handle cover as in the Brightguy pics. That would have been handy this winter during my first winter camping trip. I found out through that experience that the metal was could on bare hands.....gee who woulda thought??? hehe

Robocop

From the photos I have seen of the Bolt series as well as actually owning the Radiant versions this light does not seem at all to be based on either one of them. It was very similiar actually to the Mag 2-AA luxeon however I believe the Victorinox version is a fixed focus design.....regardless it actually seemed like a very well done light and thanks for the information spinkid.

FrogsInWinter

Enlightened
IIRC, all three lights in the Bolt series use a Luxeon K2 LED driven at 2, 3.8, or 4.6 watts depending on the model. So by extension this should apply to the 2AA & 2AAA Victorinox lights as well. Of course if I'm wrong someone please correct my info.

Last edited: