Rebel Thoughts

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up on the Luxeon Rebel and after seeing how tiny it was got this crazy idea, four emitters in one reflector. Now that the seed is sewn lets see what comes to bear fruit.

rebel.jpg

Reflectors would need a ~7mm hole like the McR-27, McR-27S, McR-27XR, McR-38 and McR-45.
These 4 emitters could run at 14.4v 700ma in series or
2series 2parrallel at 7.2v 1.4ma right?
At 145lm each thats 580lm :whistle: minus reflector loss and quad alignment issues its still killer. Maybe SF M6 Killer... Whoa let me slow down now I'm getting crazy lets see what these little guys are capable of in a Mag host first. Anybody?

moon lander

Enlightened
apparently its difficult to get a good beam from 4 point sources in 1 reflector like that, but what about spacing them out a little and using 4 tiny reflectors? i hear that since they are so small they can give a good beam with a tiny reflector.

i, however will use them bare and coat the front of my bike with them. :naughty:

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
moon lander said:
apparently its difficult to get a good beam from 4 point sources in 1 reflector like that
I was unaware of that. But has it been tried with a lambertian dome in such a tight arrray?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will have a huge donut hole!!! The reflector focuses the light in the dead center...

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info and saving me from sinking money better spent on a Milky mod or the like.
These are the krazy kind of things that run through my head while I should be sleeping or doing my taxes :barf:

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
It's possible to do multiple emitters in one reflector without a donut hole. The trick is to use a custom faceted reflector where the facets are alternately cut to focus each emitter. For example, for two emitters, every even facet would be cut to focus the left emitter while every odd facet would be cut to focus the right emitter. The result would be a strong flood combined with a fairly broad hotspot with no donut hole.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alternatively, you could arrange the LEDs so that one of them is dead center, and the rest are in close orbit around the center one. The reflector would focus the center one perfectly, and imperfectly reflect the rest. It would require a different physical layout of the LEDs, but with a single center LED there could be no donut hole.

Last edited:

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
This idea has been thrown around here before. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it really isnt going to work unless you have a huge, huge reflector. There is a certain scale distance that the source of light has to be from the exact center of the base of a reflector to give an acceptable beam. 4 emitters clustered at the base of one reflector is gonna be a lot of work. If you have seen the donut holes from Luxeon Vs, you will understand what I mean. Even those 4 little dies are less than 1 mm away from eachother and all in one emitter and still tend to yield those results. Some may be misguided to think this is possible by the many multi 5mm LED lights out there. Those work because 5mm LEDs dont produce much sidespill at all, and mostly point their light forward. So in reality those reflectors arent even working at all since they dont have much light thrown at them to project forward anyway.

enLIGHTenment said:
It's possible to do multiple emitters in one reflector without a donut hole. The trick is to use a custom faceted reflector where the facets are alternately cut to focus each emitter. For example, for two emitters, every even facet would be cut to focus the left emitter while every odd facet would be cut to focus the right emitter. The result would be a strong flood combined with a fairly broad hotspot with no donut hole.
Im sure something like this would work, but Im sure the time and money spent into producing these reflectors even in mass numbers would yield some expensive as heck prices.

Last edited:

Gryloc

Enlightened
Although the reflectors are designed to focus one source of light, you may be able to get away with four separate Rebel emitters if you put the reflector slightly out of focus. You may not have a tight center spot, but it shouldn't be too bad. People talked about doing this in the past, but they didn't have the ultra-tiny Rebel emitter to use (just a bunch of Luxeons or Crees). I bet the donut hole couldn't be any worse than that of a Luxeon V. It is great that you have ideas like that. Keep them coming! If you do it, good luck and keep us updated.

-Tony

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just may when these Rebel emitters become available and my other projects are done.