Did Fenix drop the ball

moontroll

Newly Enlightened
Should they have used the Seoul led instead of the Cree in their new crop of lights.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
the cree is fine they just need an option for op reflector

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Newbie's tests showed that the Cree's had a little better performance (efficiency) than P4s, although both were about 2x better than Luxs. Also (just me), I think the soft dome of the P4 might cause issues...

cerbie

Enlightened
qip said:
the cree is fine they just need an option for op reflector
+1

The performance is great, the tint is alright (no nasty green or purple at low output, and no PWM issues), the reflector is just not so great (except for being noticeably dimmer, I kind of like mine w/o a reflector and lens). A textured reflector, or maybe even just making the head in ideal dimensions for another one to drop in, would be cool.

LGCubana

Enlightened
@ CPF, they were the 1st major manufacturer to produce a Cree based platform. Seoul emitters weren't out yet.

So I can't fault them for their decisions (at the time):
1. Smooth reflector
2. Mutli mode
3. Pricing

Roll forward to the present. For whatever reason, they have stagnated.
IMO, there are a multitude of enhancements they could make with minimal R&D.

1. P1D CE with a clickie
2. CR2 body for the P1D CE head, with/without a clickie
3. OP reflectors for their Cree platform

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree was out first. And add to the fact the cree seems more durable, I'm glad they are doing Crees. Sure, they might get a tighter beam and less spill with a P4, but I'd rather have the cree for above reasons and traits.

paulr

Flashaholic
I think the soft dome doesn't matter if there's a lens protecting the led. The led choice doesn't matter to me that much, but I wish they'd make straightforward lights without all those useless microprocessor bling modes.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Fenix did an incredible job on the L*DCE series. The only thing they can do now is make a nice textured reflector to smooth out the beam. Other than that they are just about perfect.

LightScene

Enlightened
"I think Fenix did an incredible job on the L*DCE series. " They also did an incredible job on the P1D-CE. For some of us it's perfect.
I'm so happy with the Cree that I'm not concerned that some people like the SSC better. The Cree ring doesn't bother me. Time will tell which one is more durable.

Dobbler

Enlightened
I love my Fenix lights, but I wish they had more knurling on the bodies for a better grip.

Drew

Newly Enlightened
Nope not at all. I love my L2D CE. I love the throw and the ring doesn't bother me a bit. I don't even notice it when in use.

Now with a batch of SSC emiters browning/dimming the Crees are looking even better.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mind Cree. Fenix was one of the very first out with a Cree light, even before Seouls were available. That said, I think their current flashlight design and use of the Cree was sub-par on their current lights.

Skyline

Enlightened
LightScene said:
"I think Fenix did an incredible job on the L*DCE series. " They also did an incredible job on the P1D-CE. For some of us it's perfect.
I'm so happy with the Cree that I'm not concerned that some people like the SSC better. The Cree ring doesn't bother me. Time will tell which one is more durable.

I agree with the above. The P1D-CE has been perfect me. It's durable and tiny. I keep this one in my pocket and I know it's there, ready. I also have the L1D-CE as a more economical alternative. On a single AA, it doesn't have the high output mode of the P1D-CE. However, it handles heat dissipation better and I can always pop in a fresh NiMH.

adnj

Enlightened
On this note, why is the P1D-CE substanstially more expensive than the L2D-CE?