WOW! I'm happy now!

heliyardsale

Newly Enlightened
Just opened and played with my LOD-CE, What a great little light, Superbright on high, UI is great, Strobe function is crazy, Med-low flickering, not a problem at all, Fenix hi a high note on this light... Highly recommend this light....
Heli

LESLIEx317537

Newly Enlightened
I just got mine today also in the mail. Threw in a old AAA battery and it still is super bright. Have it on my keys now. Great little light.
I'm happy too.

williamv0123

Newly Enlightened
I'm happy too! To all you CPF'ers out there that talked me into this purchase..Thanks:goodjob: , just got mine today also. What ARC-aaa?..kidding, (i still love my ARC too).

I dropped an L92 Lithium and WOW! what a little powerhouse. I like the clip also. Very functional in a jeans pocket.
Is it me or does the PWM circuit give the beam a slightly greenish tint on med and low?? To me this is not an issue, actually, a plus and more of a natural look to it.

bobbomatic

Newly Enlightened
I got mine in the mail today as well. It's an incredible light for its size and it runs on 1 AAA! I think I found my new EDC!

williamv0123

Newly Enlightened
The strobe effect on this light , at least to my eye is in Med/low. More noticeably on low.
Only because of the PWM circuit that is in fact a very rapid strobe or at least so I have read. If you shift you're focal point on the beam you're eye will actually "catch" the LED off for a millisecond.
I have a Princeton Tec Impulse keychain LED that uses the same type circuit. To me it isn't annoying at all. I have read it drives some folks nuts.

heliyardsale

Newly Enlightened
Alin10123 said:
In the regular low/med/high modes, do you see a faint strobe? Or am i recalling the wrong light?

You really have to look hard to notice the strobe effect on Med-low. f you look into the light on Med-lo and wave the light around its detectable, I also tried the celling fan strobe test, it is slightly noticeable, but for normal walking around, candle-type modes, and on high this light simply ROCKS! Super small in size, blow you away size to brightness ratio and just plain nice to carry. I'm one of those people that have a hard time with some types of florescent lighting. Walking into Walmart or Target makes me sick to my stomach, this light does not effect me at all.
Heli:grin2:

williamv0123

Newly Enlightened
While we're on the subject of LI Ion 10440, does using this power source on high damage the emitter? I'm interested in the subject of LED life and i'm getting some info as to the negative effect that overdriving an LED has in reduction in useable life.
Perhaps the CREE is less susceptible to these effects?

Akarui

Newly Enlightened
I have one too and love it although (as mentioend in another thread) Id prefer to just turn it on and have it on high......one more turn for low. But we cant have everything can we.
For its sized Im amazed at the light it pumps out.

Streamer

Enlightened
williamv0123 said:
While we're on the subject of LI Ion 10440, does using this power source on high damage the emitter? I'm interested in the subject of LED life and i'm getting some info as to the negative effect that overdriving an LED has in reduction in useable life.
Perhaps the CREE is less susceptible to these effects?

I don't know what if any effect it would have on the emitter. But I do wonder... Is it really worth the expense of purchasing a dedicated battery (10440 and a charger) for TEN MINUTES of run time??? Kinda neat and impressive to get all that light out of such a tiny package for sure..but for super bright I think I'd just grab another light and bypass the added expense. Unless of course you have another light that can utilize the added battery and charger. Heck, I think I'm just too dam tight sometimes. :lolsign:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my L0P CREE! my most used light! I greatly prefer however the MAG AAA clip instead of the Fenix clip.

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
"I do wonder... Is it really worth the expense of purchasing a dedicated battery (10440 and a charger) for TEN MINUTES of run time??? Kinda neat and impressive to get all that light out of such a tiny package for sure..but for super bright I think I'd just grab another light and bypass the added expense. Unless of course you have another light that can utilize the added battery and charger."

Streamer- I'm looking for a powerful yet lightweight small EDC to complement my headlamps on wilderness search and rescue missions. So I'm wondering the same thing myself- on the other hand those batteries must be awfully light, so I could see carrying regular batteries and a few of the higher energy batteries for rare cases when the extra lumens could help. I usually use a headlamp for myself and a few handhelds to light the way of the litter crew. It would be great to carry just a tiny EDC in my radio harness so I had room for other items like my cell phone, compass, etc. I don't know of anything brighter for its size/weight.

Flashlike

Enlightened
Mine just arrived today! Here are a few brief comments that I have (in other words--my "two cents" worth).
1. The light on mine has a somewhat "dirty" or polluted white appearance, rather than a bright, true white. Perhaps I'm being nit picky, but I'm a little disappointed about that. My Arc AAA-P puts out a nice, true white beam in comparison, although not nearly as bright of course.
2. I rather like the switching system. Simple to use and it works great. It might take some getting used to, but it's nice to have all of the different modes available. Wow! That is quite a hyper strobe mode!!
3. I'm not very impressed with the clip. It is too thin and has way too much give to it. I suppose that I could bend it down with a needle-nose pliers but even then I don't think I would trust it enough to hold the flashlight securely in my pants pocket.
4. Some have said that the finish can get nicked and scratched. I haven't had mine long enough to attest to this, but I do agree that a model in a natural HA finish would more than likely keep its looks better down the road.
5. I can't really detect the "strobing effect" in any of the steady on (primary, low, or high) settings. In fact, if I hadn't known about it I wouldn't have even tried to look for it. But I understand that some individuals have greater sensitivity to it, so they would probably notice it. What does "PWM" stand for when the "PWM circuit" is referred to?
6. Overall a very nicely designed light and powerful for its size. Anyone else have comments on the light tint?

LESLIEx317537

Newly Enlightened
If you use it on High mode, it doesn't use the pwm circuit so you can't see the strobe.

I only notice it when i move objects around. It's actually kinda cool looking. :)
My P1D CE doesn't have the strobe effect in any setting.

I think PWM stands for Pulse Width Modulation. It bleeps the power to the LED so its actually off some of the time, thats why it can conserve power.

I also think my CPU fan runs like that if I want using my motherboard settings.

txmatt

Enlightened
I guess everyone has to make their own decision about 10440's being worth it and if they're comfortable with the safety issue and likely some shortening the life of the L0D CE.

So some info...

I bought two 10440's and the Nano charger from AW and it was $15 shipped. A 4-pack of Eneloops or Energizer Lithiums run about $10 as I recall so I didn't think $15 with charger was bad.

About the only good brightness reference I've run across is Chevrofreak's estimates in his runtime testing...

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=152223&page=1

For comparison sake, his estimated lumens results show about the same low/med/hi lumen relationships on lithium primary and lithium ion 10440. Low/med/hi on primaries is roughly 10/20/60 lumens, medium being twice the output of low, and high being 6 times the output of low. On 10440, the estimates were roughly 30/60/160 lumens, pretty close to that 1/2/6 ratio. Of note is that low with 10440 is brighter than lithium primary on medium and medium on 10440 is very similar to lithium primary on high. That might give you some idea of what the jump to 10440 on high would be.

For me, as giddy as I was with the L0D CE on standard batteries, I was equally impressed with it on 10440, even with the rather high bar it had already set with lithium primary.

williamv0123

Newly Enlightened
I am more than satisfied with the L0D's performance with LI(L92's). Even with this cell, size to output has to be one of, if not the best on max. I cant help but imagine 150 lumens coming out of this little thing though .:naughty:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Streamer said:
I don't know what if any effect it would have on the emitter. But I do wonder... Is it really worth the expense of purchasing a dedicated battery (10440 and a charger) for TEN MINUTES of run time??? Kinda neat and impressive to get all that light out of such a tiny package for sure..but for super bright I think I'd just grab another light and bypass the added expense. Unless of course you have another light that can utilize the added battery and charger. Heck, I think I'm just too dam tight sometimes. :lolsign:
Oh sure! Definately get a couple of 440s and even the little Nano charger works great. It's it's only another 12 bucks and it lets you use the light at full potential. I'd be totally missing out if I had have gotten the 440s. I have four of them and they're great.