LED Genius aims for 100% efficiency

Alteran

Enlightened
Where the grass is blue, up is down, and hamburger
I can only imagine what would happen if he succeeded... LEDs be so much brighter, I believe more than 3 times as much. This is because the most efficient a white light source can be (according to Wikipedia) is 35.5%, or approximately 242 lumens per watt. :faint: Current "power LEDs" get about 70-80 lumens per watt at ideal drives. Also, sonce there would be almost no heat created, there might be no need for heatsinking. So many possibilities... Let's hope he makes it. :drool:

Drew

Newly Enlightened
Even if he doesn't reach 100% the closer they get the better.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
well i hope he does well, and uses a SPETRUM meter every once in a while too :)
mabey they can just put a hole in the side and we can inject more phosphors when needed.
charge the battery, re-ink the phosphors, and go again :)

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can only imagine what would happen if he succeeded... LEDs be so much brighter, I believe more than 3 times as much. This is because the most efficient a white light source can be (according to Wikipedia) is 35.5%, or approximately 242 lumens per watt.
This is actually for a fairly broad spectrum white light. Using separate red, green, and blue emitters to generate white light would allow for closer to 350 lumens per watt.

The most significant aspect of a near-100% LED will be the fact that there will be almost zero waste heat, meaning much higher wattage LEDs will be feasible without having to worry about heat buildup.

Last edited:

TMorita

Enlightened
tebore said:
He's the guy that works for Nichia. If he succeeds Nichia will be the one with the LED.

Nope. I've been following him for a while. He left Nichia a while back and sued Nichia.

Toshi

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Drew said:
Even if he doesn't reach 100% the closer they get the better.

Well.. pretty much each new led that comes out is a little step closer. So we'll have to see what happens.

balazer

Enlightened
LA OZ said:
It is not possible to achieve anything in this world to 100% efficiency. You could get close but never to 100%.
I have a 100% efficient electric heater.

balazer

Enlightened
Alteran said:
This is because the most efficient a white light source can be (according to Wikipedia) is 35.5%, or approximately 242 lumens per watt.
I guess Wikipedia is wrong.

By definition, the most efficient something could be is 100%. A wide-spectrum white light at 242 lumens per watt is 100% efficient.

LA OZ

Enlightened
balazer said:
I have a 100% efficient electric heater.

That is not true. Some of the energy are lost through radiation and not heat. Also, whatever they have used to generate electricity is not 100%.

LA OZ

Enlightened
balazer said:
Arghhh... What kind of radiation? I keep my heater in a black room.

Like electromegnatic radiation. There may be more but it has been over 20 years since I last studied physic. There are other energy loss through denaturing of the heating filaments or heating oil.

Last edited:

Alteran

Enlightened
Where the grass is blue, up is down, and hamburger
balazer said:
I guess Wikipedia is wrong.

By definition, the most efficient something could be is 100%. A wide-spectrum white light at 242 lumens per watt is 100% efficient.

No, the most efficient light is the light that is the brightest for the amount of power consumed. Since the human eye, when adjusted to daylight, is most sensitive to the colour green, more specifically, the wavelength 555nm. This is lumenous efficiency, so even though it is true that maybe all of the energy is being converted to light, green still is the "brightest".

This is based on some facts from Wikipedia, which is user-sublitted, so it may be wrong. This just what I picked up from it.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alteran said:
No, the most efficient light is the light that is the brightest for the amount of power consumed. Since the human eye, when adjusted to daylight, is most sensitive to the colour green, more specifically, the wavelength 555nm. This is lumenous efficiency, so even though it is true that maybe all of the energy is being converted to light, green still is the "brightest".

This is based on some facts from Wikipedia, which is user-sublitted, so it may be wrong. This just what I picked up from it.
The way I understand it is that the term "efficiency" is used to refer to watts out/watts in, and "efficacy" is used to describe lumens out/watts in. By that criteria, an incandescent filament is very efficient (as a radiator), but has low efficacy (as a light source).