U2 goes snorkeling

Campdavid

Newly Enlightened
Just returned to Chicago from family vacation to Mexico. While we were there I decided to go on a guided cave snorkeling tour. These flooded caves or "cenotes" are really quite interesting and beautiful to snorkel through.

Anyway, the group I went with was a bit larger than the guide service typically takes through the caves and they only had two dive lights for the group of 14 people. So being the prepared person that I am (or so I thought) I grabbed my bag and went for my princeton tec dive light. Uh oh, not there. Since I rarely ever go anywhere without my U2 I decided to take a chance and grabbed it. After climbing through a hole in the ground and down a ladder into the cave, I cranked my U2 up to level 6, hit the switch and introduced that cave to an entirely new flood....a flood of light. Into the water we went and the beam from my U2 was amazing to say the least. It was a very welcome addition to the tour and kicked out a TON of light.

Any damage? I will say that one drop of water made it behind the lens. So, after the swim, I cracked it open while we relaxed in some nearby hammocks, dried the lens with a lens cloth, reassembled the head and it was good to go. Now that I am back, I opened it up again and added a bit of nyogel to the threads near the lens and to the O Ring under the lens. Seems to be working great!

Thanks Surefire.....and make a dive light for the Navy Seals or something so I don't have to risk my U2 again. :)

Cartman

Newly Enlightened
Campdavid said:
Thanks Surefire.....and make a dive light for the Navy Seals or something so I don't have to risk my U2 again. :)

I think it's called the 6PN but I forget the depth rating. You can actually order O-rings for the 6P/C2/9P/C3 to make it more water proof. There's an empty spot behind the the first O-ring where you add it. I think I remember reading here that the 6PN does not have a pressure sensitive switch as the water pressure can easily activate it.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illum_the_nation said:
I dont think the U2 was ever intended to go diving....I could be wrong though:ohgeez:

LOL snorkeling doesn't = diving.
However... not sure the U2 was made for snorkeling either. Good to know that it's at least dunkable.

M I K

Enlightened
The fiscally dysfunctional State of Kommiefornia
What's the big deal? SureFire's guarantee does not exclude diving.

That's what sets them apart from the rest. If it breaks, they fix it.

I don't spend much on other lights. I usually feel that my money is better spent on a great guarantee.

Think about it, once you pay the price for a SureFire, that light is going to last you the rest of your life. Guaranteed.

SunStar

Enlightened
Yea... not a surprise to me that it worked great. I'd do the same with my U2 without a thought.

One pays a premium for these lights. Every once in a while it is nice to use them in the extremes to get some "return" - in fun:grin2:.

z96Cobra

Enlightened
IIRC Surefire lights are supposed to be good up to 1 atmosphere (33 feet), so the snorkling trip should have been ok anyway.

Roger