New CPF'er Intro and Questions

freeride

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone, this is my first post so I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I'm posting in the LED section because thats what I'm most interested in right now. I noticed that this site seems to be mostly about flashlights rather than other uses of LED's as far as I can tell though.

I'm primarily interested in 12v mobile applications. I've looked into the Cree, Luxeon and Seoul products. I haven't been able to find an online forum to discuss these topics so far. Is this something that anyone on here would be interested in and if not could someone please direct me somewhere where this topic would be more appreciated?

Either way, I'm still glad to be here and looking forward to talking with everyone as I am interested in LED flashlights and lasers as well.

Thanks

-

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try the modders section. If you are into it for automotive apps try theledguy.com and look through converter boards and high powered LEDs. They have reflectors as well.
What are ya lookin' to do?

freeride

Newly Enlightened
Great. I'm glad to see such an overwhelming response just two and a half hours later. Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.

DaFABRICATA, basically it's a mobile exterior customization. I'm starting with a motorcycle but I would like to develop something that could be farther reaching in it's uses. I want to incorporate the absolute brightest blue LED's that are feasible in individual weatherproofed enclosures. I believe that any of these diodes will require a heat sink so they will have that along with a small PCB at minimum. That is if I use an external driver to power multiple units. The other option is to incorporate a driver into each unit. From there I want to move on to amber for signal lighting.

On the flashlight subject, what would everyone recommend as the brightest white light in the smallest package? I have a pathetic AAA incan maglite on my keychain and I would like to upgrade to something with a little more kick ;-) I found this one interesting:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rexlight-REX2-0-XR-E-P4-CREE-LED-Flashlight_W0QQitemZ260099647317QQcategoryZ106987QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
But if you read it, it's basically an auction selling something that has yet to be created and I have gotten unintelligible responses from the seller so I'm leery. I'd be interested in something like this, that could run on a lithium ion rechargeable or a AA in addition to having a detachable extension tube allowing it to accommodate two cells.

Thanks again

-

Last edited: