Risk for scratching my light?

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I would like to know just how sensitinve flashlight lenses are of getting scratched when carried in the pocket with other stuff. Is the lense running any risk of getting to damaged? The Fenix P1D is a keychain light so you would think the lense is scratch proof?

Would like to carry my SF E1E, L4 or P1D in my pocket with a pocket knife, but are a bit scared of scratching the lense... they are kind of expensive to replace so I thought I´ll cjeck here first...

Its just the lense Im worried about, the body are going to be scrathed but thats ok, looks cooler that way...

CLHC

Flashaholic
I would not worry much about scratching the "windows" of my flashlights if they are made of pyrex, sapphire, and other glass material(s). So far none have been scratched while riding in my pocket with other metal objects. But then again, usually it's only the flashlight that'll reside in one of my pockets while keys and the like are in another. The lexan or other plastics will scratch easily though.

Enjoy!

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're afraid to use it, why own it? Scratches just show character. In art and architecture, they call those little marks "Patina" and they value them.

Enlightened
I don't really care about my EDCs getting scratched and worn. It's a tool. True a scratched lens may affect performance but you are still getting light when you need it. Now I do have "shelf queens" that I keep nice and pretty though..

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix has a AR coated glass window. Glass is harder than any metal objects that may reside on your keyring, and therefore cannot be scratched. Just don't carry your torch in a pocketful of diamonds, diamond is harder than glass, and WILL scratch!

Robban

Enlightened
Been EDCing my HDS for about a year now. I just jam it down in my pocket together with my keys and it still looks like the day I got it. I wouldn't worry.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings,

The caps for many consumer goods make great lens covers. For my E series Surefires I use the caps from propane camp fuel cells. Others have used soda bottle caps.

But I'm with CHC, dedicate a pocket for your light. That way you can get it out fast and not drop your stuff all over the place.

You can always get a holster and wear it on your belt.

I don't care anymore if my lights get scratched. In fact yesterday I scratched the pocket clip of my E2D trying to get it off. I never did get it off.

Cheers!

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm more worried to damaging other stuff carried together in the pocket. I've had jeans worn off, handphone scratched, wallet worn off due to SF L1. As for the light itself, some scratches here and there is a good sign and so far the lense being pyrex is as new.......don't worry about it.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Im always worried about new stuff I get, then after a while I dont care and most stuff have made it, I´m quite new to carrying around flashligts and didnt know axactly if I was running any risk of scratching the lense or not. But now I feel confident to carry it around and not worry about the lense!

Thanks again! Now I can sleep a bit better... :)