3d mag and mini mag drop ins?

Reptilezs

Enlightened
i have been out of the loop for a while but i was thinking of getting the terralux k2 drop in for the 3d mag but what else is availible as far as dropins go? also any info on 2aa minimag dropins would be helpful also

FrogsInWinter

Enlightened
Don't get the Terralux K2 drop-ins for the C/D cell Maglites. BatteryJunction has SSC P4 drop-ins which are brighter than and run for at least as long as the K2 drop-ins:
http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-6k2.html
But in order to take full advantage of this drop-in (i.e. - max brightness), you need to put in a Mag-Lite that uses 4 or more cells. You could also wait for the TerraLux SSC drop-in that's geared towards 2 & 3 cell Mag-Lites. But that drop-in is around 2 months away.

Avoid the Luxeon K2 MiniMag drop-in like the plague. Its a waste of money. You'd be better off getting a MiniMag LED, or an even better choice (hopefully) would be to wait for BatteryJunction to start selling the TerraLux SSC P4 MiniMag drop-ins.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Terralux SSC upgrade is the brightest drop in available from Terralux. They are also coming out with one that is specially made for the 2D and 3D mag and another one for the 2AA maglite(search around for info). Malkoff makes the brightest single LED mod for the 3D maglite but is kinda costly and is not a drop-in.

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
A lot of people really like the EverLED drop-in, which is available in two versions (lambertian and side-emitter). See Quikbeam's review and do a search here. Also, Maglite's 3W drop-in is pretty decent. If you don't need a lot of brightness, the Sears Craftsman/Dorcy Variable Power L.E.D. upgrade is a good choice, IMO. For AA, my favorite is the Terralux TLE-5 MiniStar2 1 Watt LED.

reltor

Newly Enlightened
I plan on using the SSC drop in with a 2D body and 6 NIMH AA's in D cell holders. I wonder if you could run it in a 2C body with 3 CR123's in a sleeve of automotive heater hose?

Anybody try this yet? How are runtimes?

ocharry

Newly Enlightened
Hi reltor; i have one of the 6ex units in my 2c-3,123 cell light and it works great. these are made for 6d lights and that is 9 volts... 3-123 cells is 9 volts too, so it should be fine.... if i have it figure right it should be in the 4-4.5 hour range... i had a mag star 6 in it before and it had good throw and good light,,,but it only lasted about 50-60 min., so i think you get more light and more run time.

i have two of these set ups and the one i changed to the terralux 6ex is the night stand light. i will probably be getting another one for my hunting light....lots of light in small package... just my .02

ocharry