Your wrong if...

todo

Newly Enlightened
....if you think strobe is useless, well actually I didnt see much use for it either. The other day at high noon, bright sun, my wife and I were stomping thru the woods. She was about 50yds in front of me, we both had camo jackets on and I couldnt see her thru the heavy tangle. I popped out my allways present L0Dce and turned it to strobe and ask her if she could see it. She said "ya real easy", she said "can you see me"?..I said no. Who I thought that pretty cool, so I just stayed there while she kept walking. At last check we were probably 100yds apart and I was changing positions, in heavy trees and tangle and all I needed to do was to move the light around and she could allways find it, I couldnt find here once. With the light on only high she was'nt able to find it at the longer distances . Now this was in bright daylight, I was impressed. So whats it good for I still dont know but I do know you can get someones attention with, far better than I would have thought.

Last edited:

golden_creature

Newly Enlightened
iv`e heard the gladius strobe is good for self defence-i`m sceptical and interested if anyone has ever used it in this way.gcv

heliyardsale

Newly Enlightened
golden_creature said:
iv`e heard the gladius strobe is good for self defence-i`m sceptical and interested if anyone has ever used it in this way.gcv

Don't know if it would help but it sure is disorienting when sharing into my shiny new LOD-CE on strobe from across the yard. I've used other lights with strobe features while boating on our local lake at night. We tie up at with other boaters and the strobe function works great for location purposes when many other groups are rafted up around us at night. Ancor lights all look the same, but if you hold up a strobe to guide another boat in to the raftup it makes a big difference in time when searching among a group of tieups. I think both the strobe and SOS functions are a welcome treat. If your lost in NYC or HONG KONG maybe not, but where I live light is very scarce and a strobe or SOS function would be a great help locating a stranded snowmobiler, hunter, or Dirtbiker. It's dark out here in the woods!!!
Heli

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
golden_creature said:

I strobed a rabbit a few nights ago in my back yard using a Gladius. I walked towards the rabbit while strobing, but I stepped on a stick and the rabbit hopped away. Dag nabbit, rabbit. :)

LightScene

Enlightened
ToDo; Thanks for that helpful tip. I wouldn't have thought of using the strobe. Sometimes if you're on opposite sides of a stream you can't hear somebody yelling, but you might be able to see the strobe. If it's useful during the day it will be super useful at night.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good observation, todo. Now that you pointed out your experience, it makes sense that, even during the day, a strobe can enhance sensitivity to light. Thanks for sharing because I'm not sure if I'd have thought of it, had the need occurred.

todo

Newly Enlightened
old thread but an update......was at football game over the weekend, with litterly 100,000 people in attendance. My friend who was sitting somewhere in the upper deck accross from us.He called and asked where I was sitting. I said accross from you midway up by the ten yd line, then I thought wait I'll try out the lodce strobe, I said can you see this, literly within 10 seconds he spotted me. That was the first time since I made this post I actually had a chance to use it for that purpose, it does work ..incredible.

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
"....you think that punk rock doesn't mix with politics"

Gatsby

Enlightened
I don't mind strobe or a locator beacon if I don't have to always cycle through them in normal use (still no real use for SOS). We've had some nasty rain recently (much needed) and I've turned on my LF5 on slow strobe while walking in the dark to my parking lot mostly to make myself more visible to traffic. Not really necessary but at least I found a use for it!