3 out of 5 of my Arcs prove faulty

Status
Not open for further replies.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've personnaly owned 5 arc flashlights, and bought/ given about 12 more for friends.

But I'm getting frustrated. I just had another of my personal Arc AAAs die today. It flickers and is about 1/3 brightness. I've tried all the normal cleaning stuff w/ no avail. The is my second Arc AAA to die this way the first was an LE. I also had an SLS go bad. Peter has taken care of me in each instance but still, I wonder if the arc is all its lived up to be?

I hope all my friends that I gave these lights too have better luck. Most of them wouldn't know the lights are running at 1/2 brightness.

Just letting out my frustrations. ARRRGHH!
mad.gif
frown.gif
rolleyes.gif
mad.gif
blush.gif
tongue.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Dave,

For the heck of it, look at the LED under a powerful magnifying glass and see if you see any burnt or yellowish discoloration around the die, especially if you can compare it to another LED. I have had some LED failures in simple under driven lights and was told by the experts that it was likely ESD damage. One LED light manufacturer I know said that he had a rash of problems a few years back and sent failed LED's back to Nichia for evaluation. He told me they sent him magnified photos where you could see I guess a burn on or near the die. This manufacturer told me that after that, his shop really addressed the ESD problem (polyester shirts and jackets etc.) and since then he hasn't had any problem. I am not for one second suggesting that Peter hasn't done right by the LED's during manufacture. I don't know if the ARC has protection against ESD or not. If not, perhaps you have encountered a non catastrophic ESD; maybe while changing batteries?

If I'm totally off base on this, I would appreciate being instructed in the errors of my thinking. I can state for a fact that I have encountered flickering, dim LED's in uregulated, simple circuits right along side of other LED's which are performing up to spec. I have been told that this is a result of ESD by people who supposedly know what they're talking about. I have posed this question suggestion before in another thread but I don't recall seeing any comment or response to it. Keep the faith!

- Don
PS. In one case, 3 LED's in a series circuit, one of the LED's would dim, flicker and come back to full brightness just to go bonkers again on a different day??

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear you Dave. It is very very annoying when the lights you depend on flicker or die completely. How good can a light really be if more than half have failed? Everyone should have a reliable light. When you go spelunking (as your name implies), a dependable light is even more important.

Of course we will replace and of course we have a more permanent fix scheduled (June). But maybe you are really asking, "will the coming fix address the problems I am seeing?". Here's a quick way to find out: Apply power between the positive contact and the ground ring. If the LED lights without any flickering consistantly, then it is indeed the ground problem documented previously.

Of course, if you don't want to waste your time doing the test, I understand. Its more of a information thing instead of a "fix my problem!" thing.

For everyone else who has never had a problem with their Arc: now you know why I insist on constantly improving our lights. It is people like Dave who have been let down that inspire me to make our lights more and more improved.

Dave, how about I send you some loaners until the 3.1s come out?

Peter Gransee

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Forgive my lack of knowledge but what is ESD? I assume the D is for damage. The E for Electrical or Electronic?

Original post by McGizmo
I have had some LED failures in simple under driven lights and was told by the experts that it was likely ESD damage.

Maybe add this to the Acronym post on Cafe

rlhess

Enlightened
Electro Static Discharge

ZAP!

Why people assembling most circuitry today use wrist straps and anti-static work surfaces.

I had a local service tech come to my hotel room to replace the modem in my laptop while I was on the road. He used a foldable anti-static pad and a wrist strap even for that!

Since the LED is a relatively high-current device with a low impedance, I'm surprised a bit. In my limited knowledge I've always associated this with CMOS (high-impedance) devices.

Cheers,

Richard

McGizmo

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by witsend:
Forgive my lack of knowledge but what is ESD?

Maybe add this to the Acronym post on Cafe
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

electro static discharge. Static electricity. It can kill a white, blue or green LED in a heart beat or damage it badly. There's a web site; http://www.esdjournal.com/ that has some info and you can see with IC's and solid state devices, there is an industry built around ESD.

- Don

Jeffrey586

Newly Enlightened
Hello Steve,
I am looking to purchase a second Arc AAA from your wesite. Could you tell me exactly when the updated model that you mentioned will be available??? THANKS
confused.gif

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok now the darn thing is at full brighness again. Oh its a 3.0 if that matters.

I wouldn't think its ESD unless that can happen after assembly. Peter can ESD affect the circuit or LED after it's all been put together and sitting in my pocket?

I think its a electrical contact thing. Peter what is the ground ring you are talking about? Underneath the foam?

This particular LED has a nice beam too, sort of a yellow pink blue, better than my LE when its working right. Maybe I'll clean everything one more time.

Peter, thanks for the generous offer but I don't need any loaners at this time. My LE is working great and I have two more Arc-aaa stashed away for eventual gifting.

I will return the faulty one when the new 3.1's come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.