paypal - difference between cash and credit?

rcnuk

Newly Enlightened
Buyer's question:
What is the difference between cash paypal and credit card paypal? I've seen these distinctions on several sale posts. I have a paypal account that is associated with a credit card, does this mean I should use the CCpaypal option when dealing with a seller?
tia
Ross

changsn

Newly Enlightened
If you are the buyer, it doesn't make a difference. Use cash or credit as you prefer. If you are the seller, the fees are higher if you have a credit card paypal account.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because the seller gets charged differently depending upon the payment method, he/she may set different terms for different payment methods.
If your PayPal account is associated with a credit card only then as far as the seller is concerned, you are a CC-PayPal customer.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
for the seller - a personal account can only have a few CC transactions per month. If you exceed that number you have to get either premier or business account with fees associated to it.

Norm

Retired Administrator
As Will says, if a person states two different accounts always use the correct account or the receiver will more than likely reject your payment. PayPal CC accounts have a charge of about 3.5% to the seller, this is the reason you see sellers asking for between 3 and 4% extra to cover PP fees.
Norm

Brlux

Enlightened
The higher charges apply to credit and debit cards. The lower fees are asociated with money coming out of an existing paypal acount balance or money transfered directly out of your checking account.

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
will said:
for the seller - a personal account can only have a few CC transactions per month. If you exceed that number you have to get either premier or business account with fees associated to it.

It's actually 5 per anum.

rcnuk

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone,
That clears it up. I have only used paypal to buy and never to sell.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paypal CC or Cash difference.

Someone pls explain the difference, and why do some not take Paypal CC ?

Last edited:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some people have a personal account which can take a limited amount of CC payments. The super duper account (don't know what it's really called) can take cc but there's a fee for every transaction. Due to my hatred of paypal, I chose to stick with the limited personal account so that they get the least of my money. My issues with Paypal is a whole 'nother subject and I won't get into it here.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you know if you have been paid via CC paypal ?

Does it show up in their e-mail confirmation of monies received to you ?

aikiman44

Enlightened
I don't want anybody in my bank account, paypal included. I use the cc for convenience, even thought it costs me.
And I've used Amex, and they've been a great help to me in disputing charges where MC did nothing.
And I've no affiliation with them (they ain't perfect, but they're better).

coppertrail

Enlightened
Standard account: Seller is charged a hefty fee if the buyer uses a credit card.

Premier Account: Seller is assessed a fee of 2.9% + $0.30 for the entire amount no matter what payment method the buyer uses.

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
coppertrail said:
Standard account: Seller is charged a hefty fee if the buyer uses a credit card.

Premier Account: Seller is assessed a fee of 2.9% + $0.30 for the entire amount no matter what payment method the buyer uses.

Also add another 1% for US sellers for a "cross border fee"

coppertrail

Enlightened
I forgot about the "cross border fee" . . .

With a premier account, one benefit is the buyer can use which ever payment method they choose, and the seller doesn't get stung with excessive fees.

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Premier account and most of the transactions for me are international and the 3.9% + does seem a bit excessive especially on the many smaller transactions. The fee also seems to fluctuate slightly. At times the fees don't match what the UA says they should be.

abvidledUK said:
How do you know if you have been paid via CC paypal?

I too would like to know if there is somewhere in the payment that would indicate to the seller what type of funds (cc,cash, etc) were used in the transaction and also what the buyer selected as type of sale. (goods, auction, services, etc)

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unforgiven said:
I too would like to know if there is somewhere in the payment that would indicate to the seller what type of funds (cc,cash, etc) were used in the transaction and also what the buyer selected as type of sale. (goods, auction, services, etc)

Reading my Paypal UK T&C's apparently I am asked if I will accept a CC Paypal payment.

I am also Premier, not sure why, as I seem to be charged for every transaction monies received, whereas on Personal I don't think I am charged .

coppertrail

Enlightened
You are assessed a fee for every transaction no matter what payment method the seller uses. This way its consistent, you're not blindsided if they use a credit card. It stinks, but affords the buyer the option of using a credit card and the seller not having to eat excessive fees.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
The higher charges apply to credit and debit cards. The lower fees are asociated with money coming out of an existing paypal acount balance or money transfered directly out of your checking account.
Can I transfer money to my PayPal account from my credit card before I make the purchase? Will the money come out of the PP account instead of my credit card and will the seller still be charged the 3.9% extra in this case?