Rollator; anybody own one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Rollator - 4-wheeled walker-type contraption.
rollator.gif

Linky
(photograph *NOT* hotlinked)

Does anybody else use one of these things?
I purchased one today; not to replace my electric wheelchair, but is intended to augment it.

Did I just buy a PWPOSMF or is it a decent product?

Woods

Newly Enlightened
Don't own one but I've been around folks using them. Seem pretty reasonable for their intended use and pricepoint. If I had my druthers they might offer a slightly larger diameter wheel, but for most applications I think they work pretty darn well. Hope yours fits your needs!:)

Edited for spellcheck :ohgeez:

Last edited:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
moms got one...personally i have no idea how it is, i guess she likes it...i sat in it once if i recall i think i prefered better back support as the bar is just not sufficient and the seat could use more cushioning but that could easily be solved with a pillow

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wifes grandmother has an older model and its still in great shape. She has had the brake cable and one wheel replaced in the past (6?) years.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although it's a slightly different model than the one in the picture, my mother has been using one for several years. It's holding up very well. The only problems have been: The big loop of brake cable tends to hook on things since it wants to stick way out to the side, so I zip tied it to the frame to fix the problem. And the piece of steel brace that serves as the brake got bent once, not sure how, so that the brake was constantly rubbing the wheel. Once the brace was bent back straight, it fixed the problem.

Lightmeup

Enlightened
It looks nice as long as the brakes hold. Otherwise it seems like it might roll away from you and you could fall on your face.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
B@rt said:
Seems like every elderly overhere has one.... They're immensly popular. :aaa: :p
Well, I'm not exactly "elderly" (I'm 42), but I do need a little help getting around.
Instead of using my electric wheelchair to take out the garbage, take out the cat waste, or check the mail, I'll use the rollator.
That's why I purchased it. :)

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
My mom has a hugo she bought from sams club for around 100 bucks. She loves it. She can sit in it when shes tired and load all the bags it came with with goodies including under the seat and in the seat too. I just cant convience her how fun it would be to ride down a ramp backwardsand use the brakes to steer it like a tractor.

It folds up nicely to fit in any car too and can partly disassemble if needed.

She hated her walker, even with the wheel kit it was too easy to flip over on the slightest of change in surface it was traveling over.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Craig, my bad, I didn't want to imply you are an oldtimer, young people can use them as well. :grin2:
It's just that when you see them racing the driver usually is a few decades older than you are. ;)

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one and have to use it to get around in the house or when visiting the hospital. I have a cane for short distances outside like to get my mail.The walker was a godsend after two failed laminectomys.

AlphaTea

Enlightened
smokinbasser said:
I have one and have to use it to get around in the house or when visiting the hospital. I have a cane for short distances outside like to get my mail.The walker was a godsend after two failed laminectomys.

I had a co-worker with very bad arthritus that used one. He used a cane to get thru security (short distance) so he wouldnt set off metal detector. He did need some help if the snow got over a couple of inches. Overall he was very pleased with it. He eventually got one of those scooters.

Status
Not open for further replies.