Camping LED advice

lindenbaum

Newly Enlightened
First off, the is my first post of hopefully many here at Candle Power Forums. So just wanted to say hi :) I am quite fascinated by the LED technology and it seems you are too!

On to my question. I am looking to go camping on occasion and need a well rounded LED flashlight. To make it simple I'll just post bullets for what I need:

- water resistant/waterproof
-tough casing
-small profile to fit in pockets
-AA or AAA battery operation
-nice bright, sustained light (good runtime)
-not too interested in different levels, but high/med/low would be more than enough
-affordable! looking to spend under $40 if possible

That breaks it down pretty well. I've seen the $26 Jetbeam post, went to Fenix main page, flashlightreviews.com, and many others. So, I have a general understanding of specs for flashlights. Wondering if I could get some ideas?

On a side note: What's the deal with the 12-32 LED flashlights on amazon and ebay? Some are around $3.00. Are they that bad? Would they even compare with one of these nicer ones out there?

Thanks so much in advance. I probably wont be able to check back until the workday is over.

neoseikan

Enlightened
I'd like to say, my Spartanian is good at it. Though it use CR123A/RCR123A/16340 battery.
It has a small box, in which you could carry 6 pcs of batteries.
With each battery, it can run for 120 minutes (CR123A) or 40 minutes (16340, rechargeable),
And it is very bright. 130lumens/2.5W

northjames

Newly Enlightened
Princeton Tec Aurora headlamp. AAA batteries, fits all the above criteria except for one (arguably, I guess.). You can find them very cheaply right now.

How much light do you reasonably need in the woods? I think that too bright of a beam, and you will be destroying your night adapted vision, leading you to leaving the light on and draining the batteries.

People tend to bring too much light in the woods at the expense of runtime. The dim glow on the lowest setting of the Aurora lights up critter's eyes at a good distance, and this light lasts for up to 160 hours on this setting!

Think about what you would want if you had to bivy down for a night or three, or injury or illness forced you to travel extremely slowly.

I use this headlamp all the time in the woods, and it is great. The lowest setting is just right for finding things, and the high lights up the whole camp. Nobody would be impressed with the output it just does what it is supposed to very well.

Seriously though, consider a headlamp. Look Ma, no hands! Runtime is the king of the woods.

Eskimonio

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the forums, Lindenbaum.

By no means am I most knowledgeable around here, but I do go camping quite a bit.

I think for the specs and price you've mentioned, the L0D-CE would be a good fit; it's very small, has long runtime, and you can wear it around your neck on a lanyard like I did this past weekend during an overnight fishing trip. Additionally since it uses only one small AAA cell, you can carry extra power without taking up any significant space.

It should definitely suit most around-camp tasks and you can hold it in your mouth if you need both hands free.

That said, using one single AAA battery it won't throw a laserbeam out to 50 yards if you are scanning the area around your camp for some racoon you just heard rustling around, so you may want to spend a few more bucks and get one of the higher-powered Fenixes, or get one of the Terralux dropins if you have a 4D Mag laying around and want your light to throw further. The JetBeams look nice as well, but I can't personally vouch for them as mine won't be shipped until 4/10.

I will say, however, that this L0D-CE is one heck of a light and I think you'd win in buying it because you'd find a number of other applications for it.

JML

Enlightened
Spend a bit more, get more: Lumapower M3. Two-stage clickie (off-low-med/high-off), plus body twist on high for a third level (choose between med or high for the clickie). Three battery compartment parts so you can choose between CR123, AA, or 2xAA. Beautiful white beam from Cree LED and OP reflector. Glow-in-the-dark clickie cover and lens O-ring. Superb runtime (but not as bright as the D-Mini, which gives great throw from a CR123). HA-III natural color.

txmatt

Enlightened
Some good advice above. Headlamps are really convenient for tasks around camp, my favorite being the Petzl Tikka XP. I prefer walking with a handheld light, especially if it's over rough terrain.

I'd recommend a multi-level light for camping. If you need long runtime, you can choose that with a low setting but have the extra power there for times you don't need to conserve juice.

Many headlamps are AAA powered, as is the L0D CE. This would be an excellent combo since they both use the same battery type. The L0D CE puts you just over your budget, though. If it were me, I'd spring for the L0D CE, which you might find yourself carrying daily in your pocket. When you can, pick up a headlamp, even if it's an inexpensive one like the 0.5 Watt River Rock headlamp that Target sells for $15.

lowatts

Newly Enlightened
If you need broad lighting, the River Rock lantern was highly rated at flashlightreviews.com and by people who've used them. It is being replaced though and most stores just cleared them out at 30-75% off their regular price of $20. I bought four at $14. Gave one away as a birthday gift, sold one to a relative, and keeping two for power outage emergencies (I don't camp).

Their only weakness IMO is there is no low mode and the beam is a little glary. But these are more than offset by good runtime, brightness, size, and convenience of AA batteries. IIR it's at least water resistant so a little rain fall won't hurt it.

The new model is said to run on only 3 AAAs with a better LED and slightly higher price, I haven't seen any report of its performance yet and my two local Targets as of last week didn't have any (I bought all their old model inventory though).

gorn

Enlightened
If you decide you want an LED lantern like lowatts is talking about I would recommend the Sylvania/Osram version. I have both the Riverrock and Sylvania.
The Sylvania is significantly better in output and has high/low instead of high/flash.
You can get them for $19.99 at Walmart.com.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
lindenbaum said:
- water resistant/waterproof
-tough casing
-small profile to fit in pockets
-AA or AAA battery operation
-nice bright, sustained light (good runtime)
-not too interested in different levels, but high/med/low would be more than enough
-affordable! looking to spend under $40 if possible

Check out the UK 4AA Zoom eLED:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/uk_zoom.htm
which F.R. rates 4.5 stars out a possible 5 stars.

Available here at just under your maximum price:
http://www.brightguy.com/products/UK_4AA_ZOOM_eLED.php

This light is very compact for a 4AA, and is easily back pocketable or jacket pocketable.

It is a seriously tough light. Since it is safety-rated it's certified as waterproof and drop-tested. My UK 4AAs have been dropped onto hard surfaces, submerged in water and mud, stepped on, and generally banged around during hard use. They still work like new.

Low runtime is 20+ hours of flat-regulated light. Low output is plenty good for tasks around camp, gathering firewood, and for trail walking. High runtime is 4+ hours of very nice, bright, regulated output.

The UK 4AA Zoom eLED is the best general purpose compact light I've ever had, and I've had quite a few lights over the years. I highly recommend this extremely rugged light for outdoors use.

lindenbaum

Newly Enlightened
WOW! I go to work, come back home and look at all these replies! Thanks everyone :)

But let's see. I thought about the headlamp variety and was thinking to hold off on that for right now. What I figure is that I'll try a pocket light for now and if it seems like a headlamp is warranted, then I'll get one of those at a later date.

I figure I won't be traveling much at night: gathering firewood, digging around in a tent, chasing down varmints, wrestling with bears... you know the basic stuff. So what I imagine I could do is get a nice little LED lamp for the tent, something inexpensive and low light to see what I'm doing.

But the handhelds reccomendations is throwing me into a spin :duh2:

First, the Lumapower M3 looks awesome. Very cool looking, nice specs, and even has a glow in the dark button! But I'm not sure if I want to spend that much at this point :(

The Spartanian is interesting... looks like it sells around $40 so thats not too bad. Although it has a different style battery than normal, I am still considering it.

L0D CE by Fenix is pretty cool too. Definitely worth a shot but $44 through them direct.

But no one has commented much on the $26 JetBeam? Perhaps no one really knows if they are junk. The pricetag is perfect but of course wouldn't matter if they are defective in some way.

Well, I haven't made up my mind yet so I am still taking suggestions. I appreciate all the replies so far. Off to more information hunting.....

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Jetbeam has been discussed many time on this Forum, just search around.

Here are two reviews, One, Two

The Jetbeam CL-E had quality issues. The theads of some were horriable and seized up, while others were silky smooth (it's a twistie with 5-6 mode depending on the one you get). Some people with rough theads cleaned them and lubed the threads and it became smooth. The problems might have been worked out by now. You can return or ask for a replacement if you buy for Dealextreme (but shipping might take a while).

Huntlight also produces single mode AA and AAA flashlights

Liteflux flashlights have a duffuser so it can be used a a lantern (I'd say wait for the Seoul AA version but it's your choice)

Just incase you don;t know, here is the site that sells the Jetbeam
Dealextreme

Flashlight revies and the LEDmuseum are great places for info
lindenbaum said:
But no one has commented much on the $26 JetBeam? Perhaps no one really knows if they are junk. The pricetag is perfect but of course wouldn't matter if they are defective in some way.

Where are my manners,

Welcome to CPF!!! Enjoy your stay and watch your wallet.

Last edited:

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, lindenbaum, when I'm camping I'm always doing things that would be easier if I was wearing a headlamp. Gathering wood, cooking stuff, etc, is all much easier with two hands free.

Mind you, hang around CPF for too long and you'll probably get too many headlamps and hand torches.

jaznoize

Newly Enlightened
I second the Princeton Tec Aurora for general lighting, great runtimes and it is waterproof. Being it is a 15 lumen flood, I would also recommend something a bit more powerful for spotting. The Aurora is $20 on Amazon, but might be had cheaper elsewhere. 2aa or 3aa MagLed will do a decent job for spotting for $20-$25 and is available anywhere (I like the 3aa but it's bigger). I'm sure for the price there are better spotters that I am sure others can suggest. Bust the bank by $5 and get two lights (and therefore a backup just in case).

sparkysko

Enlightened
I just researched this, and I settled on LRI's Photon Freedom (max) microlight.

http://www.equipped.com/dr_photon.htm (This is a special version, you can get cheaper ones on ebay and such).

Comes with a clip to attach to a hat or onto you, also comes with a clippable lanyard for around the neck. Battery life is pretty excellent It's dimmable. If I'm doing stuff I shove it in the hat clip or just shove it in my mouth. You can buy replacement batteries online for dirt cheap too. It's not terribly bright, but it's enough to see where you're stepping and for short range stuff (I use it to avoid mud puddles). Alternatively, they have a similar light (same form factor) on dealextreme. They're like 4.50$ shipped for a 10 pack. They're as bright as the microlights, but don't have the dimming/flashing features. I keep my microlight on my belt loop of my pants, it goes with me everywhere. The best lights in my opinion are one you're not going to mind carrying everywhere.

Alternatively, you can pick up some really nice bright adjustable LED maglites at most stores. The AA ones are a bit big, but flashlightreviews gave them a pretty dang high brightness rating, and you'll know you're getting quality.

goose

Newly Enlightened
I know im not posting alot but if i may add some comments. I love my princton yukon with the LEDs. Last night i got the maglite 3w light and from playing with i seem to like it alot. If you have an old maglite you can convert it to a 3 led. I like how tough the build is and converting it to led the light last longgggggg time.

sasha

Supernam

Enlightened
Princeton Tech EOS headlamp + Inova X5 + batteries. That's all you need (until you've fully caught the flashaholic bug, that is).

Lambert

Newly Enlightened
Supernam said:
Princeton Tech EOS headlamp + Inova X5 + batteries. That's all you need (until you've fully caught the flashaholic bug, that is).

Good recommendation, however I'd go with the newer X1 which uses a reflector since it runs longer than the X5. It's also cheaper at about $20 and also uses the more friendly AAs. Add to that a Glo-Toob GT/FX as a lantern and you're set. You could probably add a cheapie head lamp too.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF.

For camping I strongly recommend getting a headlamp first. Having TWO hands to do cooking, wood gathering or setting up a tent etc. is just so much better than one hand free one hand holding a light [even if it is a great light]. The Aurora or EOS are very good choices.

I have two Jetbeam C-LEs and I'm very happy with them. It is just amazing how much light you can get out of it, and batteries last a long time in it. The flicker on the lowest setting is the worst drawback, and it is only a minor annoyance and only sometimes.

I would second the UK 4AA eLed recommendation.

HarveyRich

Enlightened
No one has mentioned the Fenix l2d-ce which has six settings, although only four are actually practical. It's larger than the above mentioned lod-ce, but IMHO is more versatile in the forest. If you're in a crowded camp area you can use it on low or medium, but if you're in an isolated campsite you would want quite a bit of light and you would be grateful for high or turbo. It has more output than any 2AA light I've heard about and can be run on easily usable AA batteries. Check out the review at Flashlight Review: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l1dce-l2dce.htm. Runtime on turbo is about 2 hrs and 4 hrs on high, while you get an amazing 40 lumens on medium for over 10 hrs of runtime on NiMH batteries.

Last edited: