Arc AAA head & 123 battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Dumb questions (possibly stupid as well):

1) Is there a safe and clean way to mate an ARC AAA head to a 123 battery?

2) would two AAA heads wired in series be OK mated to a 123?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Thanks Darrel,
I'm glad to hear that running two heads in series is OK. I'd rather tackle using one head with the 123 but you havn't answered that question now have you? As far as a dimmer switch, how about a BU pot sticking out the side with your choice of plastic knobs?? I don't know diddly about any of these sophisticated circuits so that's why I ask.

I played with one of Light & Motion's bike lights and it sure was cool how their momentary switch would take you from off through three ranges of brightness back to off again. The Eternalight is great on variable power control as well. What I know about IC's could be written on the side of one, with a 9" paint roller. I was hoping to line up a challenging project for the weekend; something to keep me of the milk cartons.
You haven't helped.
tongue.gif

You want dimmer switch. I give you dim wit (amazing what happens when you are missing a couple of letters)
grin.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Methinks Darell has found a worthy opponent. Some one that can go toe to toe and nose to nose (Do not attempt to conceptulize image) with him. SOMEBODY else that CPF can pick on. YEAH!!!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Thank you Phred,

I think my primary mission in life is to help others look good. You know, a reference point. When I leave conversations I hear things like, " Jeesh, I'm sure glad i'm not like..." Growing up, my friends (?) always let me wear the target. Actually, they insisted. So sure, I can take it, fire away! But while you're reloading, could someone tell me if there is a simple, efficient way to run an Arc AAA head of a 123? Short of throwing a resistor in there and burning off the excess voltage with heat, is there another way? What voltage can the ARC AAA safely take?
Somehow I doubt that Peter is going to come forward and provide any tips to some Idiot who can't leave well enough alone and wants to take a beautiffuly designed tool and do God knows what to it.
rolleyes.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Ah. When you said you wanted to "mate" the two units, I figured you were speaking about the physical act, not the electronic act (or any other filthy act you just though of). I know you can solve the physical part - thus my confusion.

Personally, you really have met your match in electronic wizardry. While you're describing your knowledge on the side of the IC, I'm still standing there with the roller in one hand, scratching my head with the other and wondering what, if anything, I should write.
confused.gif
I know just enough to either a) make me dangerous, or b) realize I should leave it up to somebody else to figure out. Fortunately I usually end up at B these days. Wasn't always like that, and sometimes I wonder how I made it to this ripe age. Don't even bother asking me where my knowledge of explosives comes from...
shocked.gif

But, I'm also pretty confident (as you seem to be) that you can't just hook up 3V directly to the poor little AAA head. It'd probably be REALLY bright... for a moment.

Dana - No, sadly Don isn't really a "worthy opponent." Not for me anyway. But I'll take that comment as a compliment. A well balanced opponent for me would be somebody with far less aptitude than Don has demonstrated. At the very least, my worthy opponent would need to be somebody with far less access to cool materials and cool tools!
smile.gif

Betcha Peter responds with enough useful info to at least keep you from hurting yourself. He's pretty open about the actual, or theoretical limits of his goods.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be very surprised if the Arc AAA could handle 3 volts. Unlike the LS, it was designed for a singular voltage supply. I'm only speculating but I doubt very much there is enough headway in the regulator to handle double the voltage. Perhaps Peter will respond.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
Ah. When you said you wanted to "mate" the two units, I figured you were speaking about the physical act, not the electronic act (or any other filthy act you just though of). I know you can solve the physical part - thus my confusion.

We're not talking about breeding snakes here, are we???

I know just enough to either a) make me dangerous, or b) realize I should leave it up to somebody else to figure out.

But remember Darell, what your posts lack in quality, they make up for in quanity.

But, I'm also pretty confident (as you seem to be) that you can't just hook up 3V directly to the poor little AAA head. It'd probably be REALLY bright... for a moment.

Now this would be a real FLASHlight!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
wavey.gif
TX

Darell

Flashaholic
Yikes. That was tough to read. Here, let me help you abuse me more clearly:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're not talking about breeding snakes her are we???
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
I know just enough to either a) make me dangerous, or b) realize I should leave it up to somebody else to figure out.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
But remember Darell, what your posts lack in quality, they make up for in quanity. :> )
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Now this would be a real FLASHlight!!

No charge...

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the circuit can handle it. Yes, the LED will not last for long. At 3v, the head is drawing 250mA. Most of that is ending up in the LED so the Nichia is very overdriven. When I tested it, it got quite hot after a minute or two...

Now with a 123 cell, the voltage will drop down to 2.7v or so. This combined with the good heatsinking of the AAA head may actually work for a while.

But I will leave the rest for you to experiment with...
smile.gif

Remember this voids the warranty of course.
smile.gif

Peter Gransee

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Thanks for the info Peter.

Sorry you had to wade through some Ca - TX BS to get here but I guess AZ is stuck in between anyway. (seems to be a cattle x-ing 'round 'ere) I wouldn't think of pulling some warranty claim on an abused ARC AAA. Now if my mom started having trouble with her ARC AAA that she only uses on Sundays for illuminating the hymn books........
smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by McGizmo:
Thanks for the info Peter.

Sorry you had to wade through some Ca - TX BS to get here
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CATXBS. Another one for the acronym list!

Yeah, yeah. I'm sorry too. Sort of.

You may want to employ the brilliant mind of someone like dat2zip or lambda to come up with a workable solution to firing a single LED with 3V.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Darell,
Most kidding aside, thanks. That's a good idea but I'm kind of intimidated by asking somebody about something that might be proprietary or whatever. Think they could come up with something to run this?

mag 9

Maybe I should just hang in the cafe where I guess it's OK to go off topic.
smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by McGizmo:
Think they could come up with something to run this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Heck, I *know* there are people around here who could build a circuit to run that... with their eyes closed. Peter is one of 'em. But what is that thing? Half a Domino?
Maybe I should just hang in the cafe where I guess it's OK to go off topic.
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ah, you've stumbled upon my MO.

Sometimes we find ourselves inadvertently talking about lights in the Cafe though. We usually clamp down on that kind of activity pretty aggresively, so hardcore on-topic posts are thankfully rare.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
To put it in perspective, an Arc LS running off of a CR123 will be much brighter then a Arc AAA running off the same battery, no matter how much it's overdriven and of course will not void Arc's warranty.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by geepondy:
To put it in perspective, an Arc LS running off of a CR123 will be much brighter then a Arc AAA running off the same battery.......<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Of course you are right and I have provided no context and as far as perspective, that's impossible to keep with Darell on your tail.
The guy's got me in a domino theory now! I was considering an ARC LS with an extended battery tube that kept a spare 123. Since the 123 would be sitting there on the sidelines waiting to be called into play, I thought why not stick an ARC AAA head in the cap that covered the spare chamber. I figured with somekind of efficient step down conversion, the ARC AAA could suck a little juice when the LS wasn't looking.

Darrrrreellll,
I'll take the 9mag to the home made section. You'd probably spill your drink on it in the cafe.

grin.gif

Post in Home Made FlashlightsEDIT:[]

Darell

Flashaholic
Ha! Can't imagine why you'd ask.
smile.gif

1. If anybody is going to figure it out, it'll be you. So you might as well stop wasting your time asking, and get out to the shop and start spinning.

2. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say there should be NO problem. Add to this the fact that I've run two of them in series from a 3V source...

Say, while you're in there, would you mind slipping a dimmer in as well? A toggle for underdrive (choose your amount) and overdrive (what Peter gives them in stock form) would just be dreamy.

I'm expecting a prototype shot before sunset.

[Darell, proving once again that there are no stupid questions. Just stupid answers]

Ron Schroeder

Enlightened
A buck switcher from 3V down to 1.5V is rather straight forward, but a boost converter to directly drive one white led would be just as easy and more efficient.

How about a double ended 123 battery holder with the LS head on one end and a tail cap on the other end with a dedicated boost regulator and a single led?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Ron,
I believe you just coherently described what I had in mind but didn't explain nor understand very well :-0

There's a bunch of permutations here. When the dust settles and Peter gets the HA kinks worked out, I'm hoping some modular accomidation will be offered for a double headed beast. I'm flinging out ideas with the hopes that they can be refined by others with more knowledge than I and them maybe implimented by those with the ability to make it happen.
smile.gif
A siameese 123 battery holder which could accept twin LS heads or a dummy cap (spare battery holder) or a single LED head like you describe sounds great to me! There is a new topic started in ARC along these lines and Peter has been guardedly receptive. I am only one voice which probably should be discounted if not disqualified as I am willing to spend money and/ or time in the pursuit of what the majority would probably find excessive if not outright silly
grin.gif

I really do believe in this particular case though.
Again, I would like to start something that those qualified could finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.