Thankyou CPF. You taught me to do math and saved me $70.00

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that many manufactures greatly inflate their lumans and runtime #s. Knowing this has not stopped me from buying several lights in the past and being dissapointed. Such examples include my old Inova t4 and several incans.

I have kind of wanted another incan spotlight, something that would run on regular alkaline batts. I saw the Pelican Laser Pro 4d spotlight for $70.00. It has two reflectors (for flood and spot) and a dual filament bulb and claims 125 lumans of output and a 10-12 hour runtime. I wanted one.

Then I remembered everything I read here, and checked old posts and Flashlight Reviews for comparisons. I looked at a Mag 4d runtime graph that showed that it dropped to 50% output in about an hour. It put out light for 11 hours, but verry dim light. I remembered that physics do not change. 2 3v cr123a's powering a xenon bulb will peak at about 60-70 lumans and die in about an hour. 4D batts only produce 6 volds and will have a rapid discharge curve with a long tail of limited light.

Thanks for helping me get past the excitment of buying a new light, to remember common sense and math. I just saved $70.00

moontroll

Newly Enlightened
Take that $70 And build your own light,to do what you want.You'll only have to do it once.Research here on CPF to find it.INCAN------INCAN-----INCAN for power and throw,LED for run time,Its fun and rewarding at the same time.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard it suggested that when math is taught in schools, it should ALWAYS be taught to kids in the context of making money decisions to help the non-math inclined to connect all that work with real world payoffs.