Why are the Insight H2Xs so much cheaper than the Gladiuses?

Lambert

Newly Enlightened
Are they identical or not? At Insight's website it says the H2X is only waterproof down to 66 feet while at NightOps's site it says the Gladius is WP down to 166 feet.

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
Lambert said:
Are they identical or not? At Insight's website it says the H2X is only waterproof down to 66 feet while at NightOps's site it says the Gladius is WP down to 166 feet.

That may just be a typo, since it said 50 meters on another website, which works out to 166 feet.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's how I understand it, but someone more informed is welcome to correct me on this.

Blackhawk did R&D and designed the Gladius. They then hired a factory to manufacture the light. After a while the factory was allowed to manufacture more lights using the Gladius design which they then sold to another company, Inisght. (all with the permission of Blachhawk who likely got a good sum of money for it)

So it is pretty much the same light, made in the same place, just sold by a different retailer who didn't have to pay the initial R&D money. So they can sell it to you for less.

Blackhawk still gets good sales on their light by word of mouth, etc and most consumers are too dumb/ lazy to research and find the Insight Typhoon cheaper.

Hope this is correct and makes sense.

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
Erh, not so much.

Night Ops did the R&D. Not Blackhawk.
And Insight has as far as I know been the manufacturer the whole time.
What typically happens in situations like this is as part of the deal, the manufacturer is allowed to make the product for themselves, after a certain amount of time has passed.
An exclusivity clause, that expires after X number of units have been produced or X amount of time has passed.
Blackhawk was and is just a distributor of these lights. Oh and marketing. Lots and lots of marketing.

gorn

Enlightened
I'll let you know later this evening. I've had a Gladius for months, and according to the UPS tracking page my Typhoon is out for delivery.

gorn

Enlightened
The 2 lights are identical with the exception of the branding on them. My Gladius seems to have a little tighter beam. They are both great high quality lights. And thanks to the great sale LA Police gear had last fall they both cost about $125.