Dealextreme 30mw

Xzn

Newly Enlightened
It would seem from a pricepoint that the 30 mw for $28 is a really good deal for those on a budget, yet I haven't seen any mention of it on the forums. I see a ton of the 20 mw's though..

Question: Is there anything wrong with the 30mw? Is the 20mw somehow magically stronger than the 30mw because of a manufacturing technique>

Aseras

Enlightened
anything under 50mw so far has been decided as "good", the IR filtering starts breaking down there and you start getting worse and worse. The lasers are functional and work as advertised but they are cheap and are not going to take any abuse.

the only bad thing about DX is that they take FOREVER to actually ship you something. we are talking a month+ EASY. maybe longer.

robk

Enlightened
I ordered one a couple of days ago - couldn't resist the price. Even if it's junk, as long as it lights up bright green, I'll be pleased. Unless someone beats me to it, I'll post beam shots in 2 - 3 weeks when (if) I get it.
Rob

Slaro

Newly Enlightened
Xzn, I ordered my 30mw from DX on March 20 2007 and received it yesterday, April 2 2007. Not bad shipping time to Ohio, USA- 2 weeks. Regular mail! I didn't pay for express mail or anything.
I don't think you'll have to wait a month, as long as DX has them in stock (and I know they have the 30mw's in stock).
BTW, they work excellently! For $30.00 you are going to be pleasantly surprised, if not blown away. It is a steal at this price (30mw = $30.00). I guess you can tell that I am impressed with mine. Be extra careful with these DX greenies and NEVER drop them. If you are careful and take extra care of it, your 30mw will last you a long time.

fixorater

Newly Enlightened
Beam shots por favor? it'll hold me over till my 50mW ordered on the 21st comes in to Honolulu ;)

Slaro

Newly Enlightened
About pictures..... I'm not sure if I understand these CPF laser rules. I would take some pictures of the 30mw laser outside tonight and post them here but I'm not sure if it's allowed OR if Kiessling will come over and arrest me??? :p

Can someone clarify this stuff? Thanks

Kiessling says this: A note about posting pictures in the context of this disclaimer: no pics of >5mW lasers used outside and/or in public will be tolerated on CPF. The same is true for discussion about such activity or any other usage of lasers that might be illegal or in a grey area.

Last edited:

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Kiessling is absolutely correct; if you post photographs of your laser outside, he'll cut your hands off and spank you with them...J/K...he'll remove the photographs and possibly ban you.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just how much brighter are these than a standard red laser pointer? I have a cheap pen from Walmart that was under $3 and has a red laser pointer in the head. Will this thing blow it away? How much difference is there between a 5mw green and a 30mw green? The reason I ask is because I was thinking about buying a 5mw green a while back but decided not to.

fixorater

Newly Enlightened
Gotcha- thanks for the clarification.

I'm just curious how bright they are.

Hell I can't even use my laser outside anywhere near my house. I'm w/in the 3nm radius of Honolulu INTL.

Aseras

Enlightened
adirondackdestroyer said:
Just how much brighter are these than a standard red laser pointer? I have a cheap pen from Walmart that was under $3 and has a red laser pointer in the head. Will this thing blow it away? How much difference is there between a 5mw green and a 30mw green? The reason I ask is because I was thinking about buying a 5mw green a while back but decided not to.

any greenie will blow a red away. it take 4-10 times as much red to match green for visibility.

as for the greens, it take 4 times (not exactly but close )the power to double the brightness. so a 20mw would be twice as bright as a 5mw.

VF1Jskull1

Enlightened
and i bought a 5mW laser at $40 this past fall thinking it was a steal....

hopefully the 30mW i just paypal'd for $30 will provide better eye candy....

if th DX 30mW is as good or has as much overheat protection as the 5mW i already have, it will be my new laser toy....

m3ta1head

Newly Enlightened
I just got my 30mW today....it's 4pm right now (broad daylight), and the beam is visible if that says anything. Down in my dark basement it looks like a freaking light saber. VERY bright.

Can't wait till nighttime to see what this thing does in the sky :D

m3ta1head

Newly Enlightened
Been playing with it outside for the last hour....good GOD, this thing is BRIGHT. The beam is CLEARLY visible, even when observing someone else using the laser from 10-12ft out. I was pointing at trees on my property hundreds of yards away-the dot was EXTREMELY bright and well defined. This thing is just unbelievably bright for the price. It's definitely too bright to be used inside, especially in the dark....

I went inside a pretty dark room with 2 windows and a mirror. I pointed the laser at the mirror, which bounced and hit the window, which bounced and hit another window, which bounced and hit the wall-all four beams were CLEARLY visible. It was pretty incredible. The entire 20x15ft room was lit up bright as daylight!

lazorqq5.png

It's really freaking bright. Really, really bright.

edit: beamshots!

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/5026/lazor001qu6.jpg
(shaky laser)

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/8178/lazor002tt7.jpg

YES, it's that bright :rock:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
m3ta1head - Nice Ibanez (and Bionaire window fan... lol). What kind of amp ya' got?

My god... is the laser really as bright as the second pic makes it look? If so, that's no 30mW. (Edit: I'm trying not to be fooled by the camera's image bloom)

Looking forward to seeing more beamshots of these things as people start receiving them.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
m3talhead, is this the DX 30mw laser? Dude, SOLD!
I'll wait until next week so I don't get held up by Easter Holiday.

BTW- You look a little like Fitz (120z. Mouse) in your MSPaint :grin2:)

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had my heart set on getting the 30mw, but with 2 outstanding orders from DX, I will wait til they are both received.
with my luck these 30mw will be OOS.

m3ta1head

Newly Enlightened
Bimmerboy said:
m3ta1head - Nice Ibanez (and Bionaire window fan... lol). What kind of amp ya' got?

My god... is the laser really as bright as the second pic makes it look? If so, that's no 30mW. (Edit: I'm trying not to be fooled by the camera's image bloom)

Looking forward to seeing more beamshots of these things as people start receiving them.

I had the camera on auto and the exposure time was pretty high, so it's a little bloated...but it pretty much looks like that when it's dark. It's very cool. Oh, and the Ibanez is a RG570. Nice eyes :D

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/4870/ibanezrg001sj2.jpg
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/82/ibanezrg003ko6.jpg
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2782/ibanezrg570005ft8.jp g

Omega Man said:
m3talhead, is this the DX 30mw laser? Dude, SOLD!
I'll wait until next week so I don't get held up by Easter Holiday.

BTW- You look a little like Fitz (120z. Mouse) in your MSPaint :grin2:)

Yep, 30mW. And yeah, Logitech G5 mouse-a little too sensitive sometimes :p

Slaro

Newly Enlightened
Yeah the 30mW from DX rocks! I was (and still am) extremely happy with it! I can't wait to order the 200mW one that they have. Next PayDay I should be able to order it.