Will it dive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be sure to put one of those water proof ones back for me!
wink.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Maybe have hotfoot just encase them in resin. Waterproof problem solved. You'll want to serouisly improve battery life for this to be practical though.
smile.gif

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to keep in mind that 50feet isn't much in diving terms - thats not much more than snorkelling depth to me. I don't know about the rest of you, but most dives I've been on are rarely less than 80-100feet..

How's that Arc LS water testing going, Darell?

Graham

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Peter. I appreciate the honest answer. RTV might work for static interfaces, but the weak link is usually the o-ring that seals the battery compartment. Even worse if the "switch" requires rotation of the head/barrel. I have had lights leak in all sorts of conditions. Leaks in fresh water are recoverable, if caught after the dive. A leak in salt water is a disaster. The batteries seem to liquify instantly, then digest the whole rig from the inside. Total loss. I just hate when that happens!

If you ever get caught up with demand, please consider a beefed up version for diving. The cave divers would go crazy for it. As Graham mentioned, we need reliability well beyond 100 ft. The mixed gas crowd is working beyond 200 ft. In the mean time I will try to figure out how to convert a UK SL4 to LED duty.

gerG

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Is there a depth rating on the Arc LS? I am looking for a more compact backup light for cave diving, and the LS looks like a great candidate. Even though it would be one of 2 backups, reliability is critical! If testing is needed I could arange to have one carted to almost any depth required ;-)

Thanks
gerG

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello gerG! The LS is not waterproof. Later designs towards the end of the year will be in the 50ft range. Some CPF members have waterproofed their LS by using RTV or simliar methods.

Peter Gransee

Status
Not open for further replies.