JETBeam MKIIx flickering

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please forgive me if this has been mentioned in another thread before but can anyone tell me why my JETBeam MKIIx flickers? It does it on pretty much any brightness level I have it on. It's very annoying. Comments.....suggestions.....please.:ohgeez:

adnj

Enlightened
My guess is the Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) that is used to control the level of brightness is the culprit. Put it in the BST forum and get a current regulated light with the money that you get back.

Your PWM may not be to spec and strobing too slowly, which means a warranty return.

sclemin1

Newly Enlightened
Sorry I don't have the answer but wanted to comment.
My MKII-x flickers on low only (basic mode) using a 14500.
I tried wiping the battery tube ends with a dry cloth, as well as the battery and battery contacts. (Haven't tried pro gold yet, its crazy expensive).
After the flashlight gets hot on high the flicker on low goes away.

I'm not certain, but suspect it didn't do that when new.
Different 14500's make no difference.
This doesn't seem to be a PWM flicker, its eratic looking flicker to me.
I don't see flicker on medium or high.
I did have a battery contact problem, the unit typically wouldn't turn on till I unscrewed and screwed the tube several times after a battery change. I think I fixed that by trimming back the plastic wrap on the + side of the battery.
Has anybody fixed this with contact cleaner?

Although I like the light overall, I'm starting to tier of its problems. I purchased 3 MKII-x's, one has failed already. (I haven't got a reply from Emil either, and I don't expect one anymore).

havand

Enlightened
Are we talking ACTUAL flickers, like very noticeable, or PWM? PWM is flickering and when it catches your eye randomly, it kinda looks like a brief flicker.

sclemin1

Newly Enlightened
On mine, the flicker is not a steady rhythmic pattern and is very noticeable.
I can see it when holding the flashlight still, low only.
Why it works OK on higher modes is a mystery to me.

ChocolateLab33, would you discribe your as I did?

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
havand said:
Are we talking ACTUAL flickers, like very noticeable, or PWM? PWM is flickering and when it catches your eye randomly, it kinda looks like a brief flicker.

I would describe it as very noticeable flickering on med, low and high. Both of my MKIIx's are doing it. I don't think it is PWM. I am using 14500's in both lights.

:shrug:

Edit: I forgot to mention that I feel some kind of very slight vibration in my lights also sometimes when I turn them on. It is very slight, hardly noticeable. Anybody else experienced this?

Last edited:

LGCubana

Enlightened
ChocolateLab33 said:
I would describe it as very noticeable flickering on med, low and high. Both of my MKIIx's are doing it. I don't think it is PWM. I am using 14500's in both lights.

:shrug:

Edit: I forgot to mention that I feel some kind of very slight vibration in my lights also sometimes when I turn them on. It is very slight, hardly noticeable. Anybody else experienced this?

That sounds like you maybe experiencing a mild shock.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to remind you that when in doubt as to the presence of PWM or not it is enough to point the light at any type of rotating fan to see immediately if a PWM is in operation. To see it is to believe it :)

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kilovolt said:
I would like to remind you that when in doubt as to the presence of PWM or not it is enough to point the light at any type of rotating fan to see immediately if a PWM is in operation. To see it is to believe it :)

Do tell, what does it do? :popcorn:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Briefly said a PWM circuit regulates the amount of emitted light by quickly switching on and off. In this way the human eye sees an almost continuous light flow while the total amount is reduced. Of course the lower the level the longer the time the light is off.
When you illuminate a rotating object with a constant light you just see a whirl of movement. If the light is switched on and off you see a strobo effect i.e. when the light is on it catches the said object in a certain position like the flash of a camera. What you see is similar to the first attempts to make a movie a century ago. So if you point your flashlight at a fan and switch it from full to reduced you have two possibilities: with a digital circuit like an SF U2 or Fenix L1D CE you just see a less illuminated continuous whirl. If a PWM kicks in you see rather clearly the single blades in a series of stationary positions. If you point a Fenix L0D CE at max level (direct drive) at a slowly rotating ceiling fan and then switch it to the next level (min) what you see is really incredible. Try it !! :) :) :)

slav_2000

Newly Enlightened
My MKIIx is flickering too... I have wrote some e-mails to Emil to resolve this problem and try his garantee. What do you think? Yes, no answer from him :(

Just received simple MKII (not x, means not Cree) on sale of one of the flashlights internet shops. I use 14500 accu with it - it seems to be much more brightly than MKIIX with simple CR123 :). I'm glad from MKII and I am very strongly upset from behaviour of Emil.