Stainless Damascus "Raw Da"-refinished

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
To begin with...I did a similar post in the Raw Da thread in the "Manufacturers Corner", but it occured to me that most of you would miss it there. So I'm more or less duplicating my post here.

I just finished work on another one of the "Raw" series of custom-made, mini-flashlights by Rob Cheetham from "Orb". Identical in size to the anodized Titanium version I showed in another thread, this "Damasteel" version also shares the same technical specs (aka "It's screaming bright!"). :rock:

Rob never worked with damascus before...he basically gave himself a crash course in etching. He did a fine job with the etch, and as expected the Raw Da turned out to be a very coo-looking light. But without any real post-etch work, the final finish was rather dull-looking. In his defense, Rob's (considerable) expertise is with the lights, not with the steel. That's where I come in...

The customer, one of the first to receive the lights, had contacted me and asked if I could do anything with the finish (he originally wanted to know if I could "color it" in the same way I've done a number of Mr Bulk's carbon damascus "Dam Chams"... I explained that the Raw Da's were made of "Damasteel", a type of stainless damascus...and that stainless steel can't be nitre blued. But based on the photos I'd seen, I told him that I was certain that I could improve on the finish.

Using very fine sandpaper, polishing papers, buffing/polishing "burs" attached to my brand new Foredom Micromotor handpiece (it's very cool...I love it!), and a final touch with Ren wax, by the time I got finished with it, the difference was dramatic.

My photography skills are limited and whenever I post flashlight pics I usually find myself making all sorts of excuses for the photos. I can show the basic "gist" of the lights, but I've never been able to figure out how to show off the sort of "shine, gleam, shimmer, gloss" surfaces that I can achieve on the re-finished lights. And that's the case with these pics as well. So you'll just have to take my word for it...the light is highly polished.

Anyway, here goes...

RawDa1.jpg

RawDa3.jpg

RawDa4.jpg

This was the toughest shot...I just can't figure out how to show how VERY shiny the base is now. The difference between the way the light looked when I received it, compared with the way it looks now, is positively HUGE!!! Overall the Raw Da is now gleaming. And the good-looking raindrop pattern on the base is truly shimmering, with its near mirror finish (It looks so different in the photo...you'd never guess that it was highly polsihed...oh well).
RawDa2.jpg

RawDa6.jpg

It ships back to the customer in Germany tomorrow. I think he's gonna be pleased. ;)

Dennis Greenbaum :cool:

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I love it Osprey Guy! That thing is beautiful! It's got so much character.

:goodjob:

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Osprey, looks nice, is that acid etched High/Low carbon steel damascus? No Raw engravings or anything? Raw would be nice on the back but, you wouldn't be able to read it, I hope for the German dudes wallet's sake he doesn't find out about the blue nitride coating you are doing.

Secur1

Enlightened
Oh man, that sent shivers down my wallet.....

Beautifull work Osprey Guy, a real work of art.

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thumbsup: Good Work Dennis :cool:

riffraff

Enlightened
Very cool. I've been around some Damascus, myself. And it's worth mentioning that, had Rob done that sort of hand-finishing to each and every light, well, the cost would have gone up, to say the least! :drool:

SQ40

Newly Enlightened
I take it if i have to ask, I can't afford it.

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
Thanks guys...

Kiely23...Needless-to-say I'm very glad that you're happy.

65535... As I mentioned in my post (in some detail) this is stainless damascus and can not be nitre blued.

Riffraff...From your link it looks like you are more than a little knowledgeable about metal. :twothumbs Although I'm not a "gun guy", one of my closest friends is a first class gun engraver (Ron Nott) and through him I have a pretty fair idea of the level of work and knowledge that's required by you gunsmiths. And you are sooooo very right! No way Rob could have done this without considerably increasing the cost to the customer. My charge for this was only $100...and I can assure you that the customer got his money's worth! (it's a hobby...If I had to depend on this for a living I'd be losing my shirt). ;)

Thanks again.

Dennis :cool:

riffraff

Enlightened
Osprey_Guy said:
[...]I have a pretty fair idea of the level of work and knowledge that's required by you gunsmiths.
Ah, just so folks are clear, I'm not a gunsmith...I just play with the website for Michael Allee at gunsmithingonly.com, who is. I'll have to ask him, though, if he's had any dealings with your Ron Nott.:twothumbs