DX U2 OR DX C2

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
U2 is brighter (more lumens) But C2 has considerably greater throw (larger reflector). That's just based on posted figures, between the two I only have the C2 but think it's a great deal. I run it on 2x RCR123 for maximum brightness and perfect regulation, and I modified it with a forward clicke on the tailcap for momentary (goes well with "throwy" lights, I don't mind the reverse clicky as much with flood lights as I'm more prone to leave those one), which also gave me the ability to tailstand.

x2x3x2

Banned
Firstly, it depends which U2-style light are u talkin about?
There are 2 variations, one with Eastward YJ etched on it, the other has Super 8W.

The Super 8W is slimmer and has a different looking tailcap
They use different emitter modules
Super 8W has a tight hotspot like the C2
The EYJ is noticeably brighter than the Super 8W

If ur not concerned about the flood or 2 level output, i'd say go for the C2.

Here's what the C2 has going for it:
- Brighter hot spot than either of the U2-style variants
- More comfortable clicky switch than the EYJ version
- Feels mor comfortable in hand (subjective)

Here's what the U2-style has going for it
- Brighter spill and overall output
- Wider hotspot
- Wider battery tube, protected 18650 cells fit with ease.
- Spring on "+" contact so u dont need to place magnet for 18650 with flat tops.
- Can tail stand.

Even tho the U2-styles have more things going for it. I still find the C2 nicer, it just feels better in use.
Mainly also cos i use it solely for the high output, never the low.
I tend to use smaller AA lights like JetBeam C-LE for those applications.

Last edited:

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the Eastward YJ U2 style and the Ultrafire C2. I'm horribly disappointed with the C2, throw Lux is about half of what's reported by LightReviews.info and by DealExtreme. Could be that I received a rotten apple. My U2-style kills the C2 in total output, nearly double the total output in Lux. I can't find any obvious reasons for the lower output, also my C2 is not brighter with 2 x rcr123/cr123 when compared with 18650 LiIon. It's the same mediocre ~5000 Lux in total output and ~2500-3000 Lux in throw. The Eastward YJ U2 style is a really nice light. Solid and with really good output. Right now i'd like to blow up the C2, or put some fins on it and launch it just to see how far it can go.
Stefan

x2x3x2

Banned
Thats wierd stefan, either u got a dud or i got an acceptional sample...
Yes it is same brightness with either 2x CR123 or 1x 18650.

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
My C2 also has a lot of dings and scratches on it from the factory. Not to mention the chipped lens. And not to forget that none of my protected 18650 cells fit, neither AW brand nor Ultrafire brand. I have some unprotected DLG that fits, barely. But it's the output that really gets me, less than half in throw!!!!!
I'll ask DX about it, but it's always a gamble to order these lights. Probably a faulty light engine. But I do love the Eastward YJ U2, thats a very good light, the only odd thing with it is the "decorative U2 ring", it would look better without it.
Stefan

lightbug

Enlightened
The protected Ultrafire 18650 fits well in my C2. Of course, the none protected Ultrafire 18650 fits even better. LOL

Yes, I love my Ultrafire C2. :laughing:

Last edited:

davenlei

Newly Enlightened
I just received my Eastward U2 and it is really nice. Machining and coating is much better than I expected. It feels really heavy (sturdy) in the hand.

I will see how the brightness is tonight.

vagalumi

Newly Enlightened
Hi Tessaiga
I faced the same decision a month ago! i bought the C2 (i'm still waiting for it ,NOT THE FAULT OF DX) . I made my decision looking at the beamshots posted by CPF members and the fact, that the C2 can take diffrent types of batteries.

marco

yes i'm weak ! i did order a C3 yesterday, if you got a C2 you need a C3 ! ?

Last edited:

beefy6969

Newly Enlightened
StefanFS said:
I have both the Eastward YJ U2 style and the Ultrafire C2. I'm horribly disappointed with the C2, throw Lux is about half of what's reported by LightReviews.info and by DealExtreme. Could be that I received a rotten apple. My U2-style kills the C2 in total output, nearly double the total output in Lux. I can't find any obvious reasons for the lower output, also my C2 is not brighter with 2 x rcr123/cr123 when compared with 18650 LiIon. It's the same mediocre ~5000 Lux in total output and ~2500-3000 Lux in throw. The Eastward YJ U2 style is a really nice light. Solid and with really good output. Right now i'd like to blow up the C2, or put some fins on it and launch it just to see how far it can go.
Stefan

You got a defect buddy, mine experienced the same symptoms. Then after a week it completly died on me. It's now on RMA thanks to dealxtreme...:candle: another month of waiting.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I have the EWJ U2 and it seems like a well made light. It has the ability to run on many single batteries. I've tried an AA, AAA, and Cr123 battery in it and they all work, but they will need an adaptor and you would need to place thermal paste between the LED star and the pill if you don't want the LED to fry.

The C2 has more throw and the EWJ U2 has more total output. The C2 has a variety of battery options between 3.7v to 9v. the EWJ U@ will probabily work from 1v to 4.2v.

Brighter = EWJ U2

More throw = Ultrafire C2

Decide what you think is more important.

OR "Buy Both". It totals to about $48 if you buy from DX

StefanFS said:
Right now i'd like to blow up the C2, or put some fins on it and launch it just to see how far it can go.
Stefan

Or you can send it to me. :lolsign:

Last edited:

LEDite

Enlightened
Tessaiga;

The Eastward YJ U2 is a very bright 3W Cree light. I like the heatsinking ability of this light.

I think the reason the posters above have noticed the differences is because DX has elected to drive the U2 led @ a higher level.

I checked the one i just received and with a charged 2400mah Sanyo cell it is flowing over 1.2 amps.

I plan on adding a .2 ohm resistor to get it back to ~ 1 amp.

Larry Cobb

Last edited:

Latest posts