Same output than L2D-CE but less expensive

gilles44

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
Fenix L2D-CE seems to be on top concerning output and throw for 2AA
but.....it's a little expensive !
Could we find an equivalent to L2D-CE (2AA) but cheaper ?

Thanks.

Gilles

jon1996

Newly Enlightened
its very hard to call it expensive considering what you get, it out does surefire lights, not all but a couple, trust me its cheap for a quality light like this, I think it is more a $100.00 light than a $55.00 light, and I would say there will be more that agrees with me

SQ40

Newly Enlightened
jon1996 said:
its very hard to call it expensive considering what you get, it out does surefire lights, not all but a couple, trust me its cheap for a quality light like this, I think it is more a $100.00 light than a $55.00 light, and I would say there will be more that agrees with me

+1, its a bargain at $55. As newer tech comes out, the price will drop. You will probably be able to pick up something similar in performance for $25 in a year or two.

jc28841

Newly Enlightened
+2 :D
Very cool light. Even as an L1DCE it's pretty darn impressive (got both tubes).

lindenbaum

Newly Enlightened
Actually looking to get the L2D CE because it seems for 55 bucks you get major bang for the buck. After researching lights, I havent found anything that comes close to the specs at a lower price. BTW, what are the best AA batteries to get for the L2D CE? 2500MA NI-MH? And are there better brands or are all of the brands fine?

jc28841

Newly Enlightened
cernobila said:
......what the hell......+3.......my wife confiscated mine.....best 2xAA light IMHO.....

Awww... she liked it too much?
You could always buy another. Can never have too much light in your life... :whistle:

Hans

Enlightened
lindenbaum said:
BTW, what are the best AA batteries to get for the L2D CE? 2500MA NI-MH? And are there better brands or are all of the brands fine?

Rule 1: Whenever someone asks about NiMHs, the answer is invariably Sanyo Eneloop ... ;)

Hans

lindenbaum

Newly Enlightened
Hans said:
Rule 1: Whenever someone asks about NiMHs, the answer is invariably Sanyo Eneloop ... ;)

Hans

Thanks Hans... just another typical n00b question :)

crewcabrob

Newly Enlightened
I would agree, the Fenix is worth it. I sold all the other flashlights I had except for the 24w Boxer and bought a few of these. You just can't beat the set up.

Good luck!

SEMIJim

Enlightened
Reality Check: Re: Same output than L2D-CE but less expensive

Realizing this may well lose me my "flashaholic" designation...

Yes, no doubt US$55 for something like the Fenix L2D-CE is a good deal--if you're a flashaholic. As a sign of how this site has... affected my thinking on matters related to hand-held lighting devices: "That's a good deal" would normally be my first reaction, too. But I must be either exceptionally clear-headed or confused, depending on your perspective, this morning, because my first thought on reading this thread was "Yeah, when you think about it, $55 for a flashlight is rather a lot of money."

I realize that hobbiests caught up in their fascination, particularly if it's a new one, tend to... lose perspective, shall we say? Perhaps just a bit? I'm not saying it isn't worth it. Only the one who's spending the money and ends-up possessing the item can determine its worth. And I'm not saying it's not priced competitively. All I'm saying is: For somebody whose (current) hobby isn't flashlights (yes, I know, blasphemy ;)): $55 is a lot of money for a flashlight.

ruralott

Newly Enlightened
Re: Reality Check: Re: Same output than L2D-CE but less expensive

SEMIJim said:

Yes, no doubt US$55 for something like the Fenix L2D-CE is a good deal--if you're a flashaholic. As a sign of how this site has... affected my thinking on matters related to hand-held lighting devices: "That's a good deal" would normally be my first reaction, too. But I must be either exceptionally clear-headed or confused, depending on your perspective, this morning, because my first thought on reading this thread was "Yeah, when you think about it, $55 for a flashlight is rather a lot of money."

I realize that hobbiests caught up in their fascination, particularly if it's a new one, tend to... lose perspective, shall we say? Perhaps just a bit? I'm not saying it isn't worth it. Only the one who's spending the money and ends-up possessing the item can determine its worth. And I'm not saying it's not priced competitively. All I'm saying is: For somebody whose (current) hobby isn't flashlights (yes, I know, blasphemy ;)): $55 is a lot of money for a flashlight.

My friends never understand why I would spend $55 for a flashlight. I showed them lights selling for hundreds and they just shake their heads.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

ruralott said:
...I showed them lights selling for hundreds and they just shake their heads.
I showed mine ones selling for $20 and they just shake their heads. Something wrong with people....:huh2:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast

SEMIJim said:

Very well put. :)
Before becomming a member of CPF, I would never had dreamt of spending more than 200SEK(roughly 30USD) on a flashlight. That would have been the absolute limit. And face it, most people will not, and probably dont have to spend that much money on flashlights. For us, it's more of an hobby, and we don't longer think that rationally. It's worth for us, but I'm guessing that even 50USD is way overpriced for a flashlight. But since Fenix, Lumapower, Jetbeam etc probably caters mostly to CPF, they can stick with those prices and we still think it's a bargain compared to Surefire, Pelican etc.

sims2k

Enlightened
lindenbaum said:
Actually looking to get the L2D CE because it seems for 55 bucks you get major bang for the buck. After researching lights, I havent found anything that comes close to the specs at a lower price. BTW, what are the best AA batteries to get for the L2D CE? 2500MA NI-MH? And are there better brands or are all of the brands fine?

I use the Energizer e2 lithiums in mine and so far brightness has not gone down yet after two weeks of nightly use at work. Anyway I use the low setting most of the time...

sims2k

Enlightened

SEMIJim said:

My family and friends did not understand why I spend much money on my flashlights until they have seen how bright the ones I have are at nights when the power goes out or when we are out walking around the neighborhood. Many people that I have shown the L2DCE think it is priced too much compared to the plastic incan flashlights they have...until they see my SF L2 and the Wiseled Tactical...whew....priced even more....