Maglite Solitaire Mod

BT132435

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,
I was looking at my summer job savings and saw that i had $6.50 left, so i decided that i'd blow the rest of it on a cheap and simple maglite solitaire mod. I was thinking about doing the mod with a white 3mm LED, using the LR32 button cell batteries from the MN 21/23 battery. A couple things i was concerned about was the LED i should use. I'm not sure of any good white 3mm LEDs out there that are cheap and are available in stores (so i don't have to pay for shipping buying it online). Also, is the battery solution i'm going to use the best way to go? or are there other setups that are cheaper/better? Any other tips would be appreciated as well. Thanks

*P.S.- Using the 3x LR32 button battery setup, what does the runtime plot look like? Does it dim rapidly?

Last edited:

BT132435

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the link Krazy. I still need one question answered though, where can i get 3mm white LEDs (Not online)?

RCatR

Enlightened
I have some lightly frosted 10mm LEDs; I can mail you one or two for free if you pm me your address.

I also have some 5mm white leds with the legs chopped down to 1.5mm; if you wanted to try and solder legs back onto them I'd toss a couple in too

BT132435

Newly Enlightened
RCatR said:
I have some lightly frosted 10mm LEDs; I can mail you one or two for free if you pm me your address.

I also have some 5mm white leds with the legs chopped down to 1.5mm; if you wanted to try and solder legs back onto them I'd toss a couple in too

Hmm thx a lot for the offer but i think the 10mm ones won't fit inside w/o some modification to the reflector. I think the 5mm ones are too big as well.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 10mm requres the reflector to be removed (and should be much brighter than the 3mm "upgrade". A 3mm is certainly the best for a seamless "upgrade" as it uses the reflector (sort of) but the increase in overall light output (IMHO) does not outweigh the unusual cells it takes. It's just not much brighter than a stock soli. Honestly I don't think that there is any hope for the solitaire the way it's designed. Keep it stock and use it to show your friends how much brighter your LodCE is. (oh, this is where you go out and buy a Fenix LodCE.)