mountainbike rear shock - with a little help from taiwanese member?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi whoever reads this :)

problem: I have a bike using a short 150mm/30mm shock, a size that hardly to get around here and only for very expensive shocks.
NO CHANCE with moderate priced or even spring shocks.

Now I found a very good looking one, a Kind Shock 504, offered in the size I want, but it is not imported into here and I am not able to find a shop in Taiwan to ask for.
http://www.kindshock.com.tw/products_detail.asp?le=english&fid=88&pid=79

I would be very grateful if anyone around there could help.

Data:
KS 504
150 mm lengh / 30 mm travel
upper bushing: 22/6 mm
lower : 30/6 mm
spring: LBS 920 or more

thanks a lot

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Take a look at the Fox Racing Shox Float R (152x32) & the DT Swiss SSD 210L Lockout airshock (152x31). Both are just outside the 150x30 spec, but should fit without trouble. Both are MUCH better quality than the Kind shocks...

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
152, right, Sorry

but both are way more expensive, and NO SPRING
(Vanilla and such are not made in this length...)

PS: there is a Float R installed now, but I dont want any Air model again (some shocks of friends have been loosing air in the past, got exchanged, did not work / still loose air, got exchanged another times, ..., and finally mine also quits). If something happens, one is stuck with them.
The front Marzocchi spring fork (Z2 Atom Race) offers perfect work and cant quit all of a sudden.

Thats why I also want the rear shock to be spring
was not able to find any offered in 152/30 (6,1"/0.5") except for this one ...
If this kind shock does not work good, no problem as its cheap, then the DT or a manitou might be alternatives, but they 're air.
:(

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
yellow,

What kind of bike do you have/ride?
What kind of riding do you do?
Have you looked at mtbr.com yet ?

Take care,
mtbkndad :wave:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, sorry if this is rude:
thanks for the help, but there is just the question:
"anyone knows a dealer for that specific shock in the posted size?"

everything else is already considered, bike, riding style, ..., and is completely unimportant, as it is given that the frame asks for a 152/30.
Sure, a spring model for a CC bike does not sound like the best idea. The reason for that choice is stated above

PS: this now is probably rude, but what should that link to mbr.com (which I know, but that is not in question) give for someone who already knows what specific product he is searching and that is not offered around his location
(and not even mentionned in mtbr.com by the way)?

Think of You searching for a specific product and then getting these answers. Would they help?
have to add this smiley here: ;) dont get me wrong, its not Your fault. I just tend to get frustrated for trying to find a spring shock for weeks now, and knowing there is at least one (even if it is of questionable quality) but not able to get it.
btw: dont think there could be made big mistakes in a spring shock. I would not purchase such a cheap one with air, but spring and rebound ...?

Last edited:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
920 is a lot of spring tension for a 30mm stroke shock. what's the travel on you bike? you will experience a good amount of jolt with that setup.

also that thing looks very heavy for a 1.2 inch stroke shock, and you gotta make sure that the reservior doesn't interfere with mounting on the frame.

go to ridemonkey.com and ask around, a lot more riders there can help you to reach a more informed decision

I have both Fox and Romic on my bikes and the Romics aren't half bad. They are a little different riding than the Fox, and offers a 6.5"x1.5" stroke if that is close enough to your called specification

http://www.romicmfg.com/Shock Pg.htm

Last edited:

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
pfffff.... if you're going to put it that way.... Here is a german site that sells them....

http://www.fahrrad.de/fahrradteile/daempfer/ks-daempfer-luftoelfeder-rebound-ks-504/5234.html

Please remember that Kind shocks are like the plastic 2D cheapies of the bicycle shock world (no, i'm not saying their made of plastic)...
And if your airshock is leaking air, you are just not taking good care of it. ANY bicycle part will need maintenance. a cheapie shock like the Kind will need even more maintenance to keep functioning optimal.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
every source found with google (like fahrrad.de and such) only offer the 165mm/38, the 152/30 is not within range of products (btw: only bushings for 8 mm screw, dunno why).
mailed the enterprise directly but no answer at all.
I am checking if the larger 165/38 (6.5/1.5") might fit into the frame, but anyone tells me the setup will be changed and most likely will get worse.
(6.5/1.5" is very easy to get, I will remember that for the next bike: no more 6/1")

Just found a formula for the spring at a shop:
weight of rider * travel of frame * 115 / shock travel / shock travel
dunno if this is right or where the "115" come from. For the 6.5/1.5 the value is some LBS 600

as for shocks, in my case Fox Float R: sledom (but done) opening of air chamber, cleaning and greasing. Lasted some years and 15-20000 km now. But I have never seen a Fox that not made this silly noise on rebound shortly after purchase and the defects on shocks of my friends (they have a lot more wheight). All bikes linkage ones (speci Stumpjumpers, Enduros, Ghosts), so no side push on shocks.
Having it serviced is also no option. That is said (by the LBS) to cost almost the price of a real shock (swinger, DT) if I get a good price (and if the 6.5" fits).