AAA mod idea - Arc Hydra?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
So being impressed by the last couple of Arc mods, I thought I'd float this idea and see what people think.

What I was thinking was a single "D" cell in something like a cut down Maglite case (something like a the tailcap on both ends perhaps) and a flexible gooseneck stalk. At the end of the stalk is a AAA Arc head (just enough of the body to retain the screw on functionality). The battery container might have a metal clip ala Ripoffs.

The use would be outdoor activities such as backpacking or kayaking. You clip it on to your backpack strap or clothing and you have mega long running task lighting, or low level treking light. The flexible neck would make it handy for looking through your pack, reading a map, etc.

Seems like you should be able to get about 78 hours out of a battery which would really rock.

Another twist (don't mind the pun) might be a dual headed hydra, perhaps with an Arc AAA head and an CMG Infinity head which might get 252 hours runtime.

It would be one light people wouldn't be afraid for fear they will run out of power!

Thoughts?

-john

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Or add another battery or so and put a 1 or 5W Luxeon on it. Don't forget the Herculean Hydra's heads would multiply.
UV
IR
RED
GREEN
But I think it is a good idea, it goes to the idea that one level of brightness isn't enough. But I think a BRIGHT light would be a plus to add to the heads.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I guess you could add a LS head as well, but the LS might be a tad large/awkward.
Seems like the LS might get 11 hours or so runtime.

-john

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are serious about this kind of mod, I'd be willing to undertake it for you. I could get the flex-neck material (the only difficult part of the mod) from a cheapo imported flashlight, and connect it to the rest of my mod. The clip might be a little more of a challenge, depending on what you are looking for. A flexible spring clip, as in a standard belt clip, no problem, I could just screw it on. If you want a more elaborate design, we could figure something out.

D-cell is no problem, although it would be heavier and bulkier than a C-cell. You could use a Lithium D-cell (if they exist) to reduce the weight. Multiple stalks are do-able, but would add to the cost, due to added complexity.

Let me know what you think.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
arc-ll.jpg

If Loc-Line were an acceptable stalk, The Arc AAA head or the TechASS PR2 could be fit into a modified tri-cluster brass head without too much effort. For ease of manufacture, I'd suggest soldering leads to the head or bulb and locating the switch in the battery housing but the Loc-Line brass body could be tapped to allow the head to function as a switch. ( An isolated internal contact plug for the (+) and (-) soldered or press fit contact with the brass body.
- Don

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. Is Loc-Line waterproof?

It appears to be a bit heavier and less flexible than "normal" flexible stuff. Is that accurate?

-john

Darell

Flashaholic
Loc-line isn't just waterproof, it is designed to transfer fluids, actually. Using it as formable wire conduit is a brilliant idea that Don has used to great advantage.

The stuff stays where you put it really well, but is not as plyable as most "gooseneck" bendable items. Tough to come up with a quantifiable "flexibility" comparison between products. But if anybody can it it, it'll be Don.

Oh, and Don - You're killing me here. Did you just run out and tap that tri-cluster housing for the Arc head, or were you keeping that hidden for just a chance like this to spring it on us?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Darell,
I don't have a tap that size. I bored it to dimension and was going to single point thread it and then said WTF. I just bored the whole thing for an O-ring fit and pushed the baby in there. Fast and the picture tells the story. It took longer to photograph and upload the picture.
grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Man, even the OD seems a perfect match for the Arc head. It just looks like it is supposed to be that way. Have you come up with a creative way to attach an entire Arc AAA to the stalk like you did with the 1/4-20 tap in the X5? I think I'm going to borrow that camera-mount idea for an Arc LS, actually...

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Darell,
I have about 20 ideas in my head but no time.... Consider if you will.... on the tail of the light body a turned ball of .494" diameter (Loc-Line) the ball is bottom tapped from the end to accept a 1/4" thread as well as having a conventional lanyard hole drilled through the side of the ball. You could mount and hang that light 12 ways to Sunday. I want to do an AA Ti version of this with an Arc head turned down and pressed into a larger Ti head.

If the brass tri-cluster body were longer, it could replace tha Arc AAA body, but it ain't
smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
John,
Loc-Line is actually called hose as Darell comented on the fluid transfer. It is designed for 30 to 50 psi systems. It doesn't have a memory like so many flexible stalks. You bend it to where you want it and it stays there.

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by McGizmo:
Consider if you will... (a bunch of cool stuff)....I want to do an AA Ti version of this... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dear Don -

I want to have your love child.

Sincerely,
Darell

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
And just think what wild colours he'll come up with when he anodizes it...
smile.gif
Darell, you'd better have twins...
smile.gif

Don, for the Arc-AAA head threads I just made up an O1 tap and hardened it. That way I just drill with a 3/8" drill, re-drill larger with a 7/16" drill, then run the tap through on back gear with the tap in the tailstock chuck and the tailstock free to slide. It only takes a few minutes once you've made up the tap, and then you can get on with all the rest of the fun construction. Even making the tap doesn't take all that long.

BTW, that Loc-Line stuff is neat. How tight a curve can it make? I can get it from a local supplier - is it worth it?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Doug,
You lost me on the 01 tap. I haven't a clue how I would go about making a tap, although I'm sure Darell has some suggetions.

I am surprised you don't have a Loc-Line mister on your lathe, Do you have a real lathe with recirculating coolant pump and everything?

I think Loc-Line hose is great and I suspect that you will find it useful as well. I made a L-L hose mounted to a hunk of lead and hooked up to a garden hose. When I drill holes in rocks for my tri-clusters I use the L-L hose to direct water into the hole. The rocks drill faster and there is no dust flying around. By all means you need some of this stuff! I believe that the standard color for 1/4 L-L is blue which may put you off on using for some things.
smile.gif

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by witsend:

BTW what keeps you up at this time John N?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ironically, I have no idea. I totally lost track of time.

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DSpeck:
You could use a Lithium D-cell (if they exist) to reduce the weight.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They do, but they are 3V so it wouldn't work for the Arc AAA and CMG Infinity. Not to mention they are very expensive.

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DSpeck:
If you are serious about this kind of mod, I'd be willing to undertake it for you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I am serious, but I'm also pretty short on mod money right now as I just added an SF M2 and a Chris Reeve small Sebenza to my collection - not to mention impulse purchasing an Opalec Newbeam and a sapphire watch crystal to do a Minimag conversion*.

All I might add, without the approval of the budgetary oversight committe.

Ahem.

-john

* I'm thinking that I'd fill the whole head of the converted Maglite with clear epoxy ala McGizmo and then for good measure try to insert a saphire watch crystal into the top to make it scratch proof.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
The clip might be a little more of a challenge, depending on what you are looking for. A flexible spring clip, as in a standard belt clip, no problem, I could just screw it on. If you want a more elaborate design, we could figure something out.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yah, at first I was thinking just a spring clip, but the more I thought about it there should be some way to do both horizontal and vertical attachment.

For example, shirt pocket vs. backpack strap.

One thought might be to avoid the whole issue and try to find some pre-existing pouch that already does this, but it is a bit of an odd size.

I think this aspect still requires some additional thought.

-john

Status
Not open for further replies.