The Lanyard, tell the truth now :-)

More often that not:

• My lanyard is completly useless

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • I always wrap my Lanyard on my wrist

Votes: 13 7.2%
  • I wrap my Lanyard around my wrist when using the light for time

Votes: 47 26.0%
  • Lanyard? my light doesnt come with one.

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Lanyard? What is that?

Votes: 9 5.0%
  • I Tie my lanyard onto something other than my wrist

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • My light hangs around my neck like a pendulum

Votes: 22 12.2%
  • Its useless but i keep them on

Votes: 13 7.2%
  • Another hunk of stuff i dont need, i toss em.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • Stupid poll, just let me tell you what i do.

Votes: 11 6.1%

• Total voters

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you grab a flashlight, do you put the lanyard around your wrist? attach it to something? Cut it off as useless?
do you use it on smaller lights or larger lights?
do you use it when you have the light out for a long time, and NOT when you just grab it and light something?
indoors, outdoors do you use it different?
is it usefull to grab the light from somewhere?
did you ever ketch a light BY its lanyard, after missing the body, keeping it from crashing to the ground?
When you have 2 Lanyards, then what? say your camera and light, now which lanyard do you use?

Last edited:

RdlyLite

Enlightened
Haha. I use the laynard on my d-mini all the time. And, yes, I have saved it from certain death by doing so. Hehe. That is the only light i have on me right now with a Laynard.

I just reread your post. Too many questions. LOL. :grin2:

bray

Newly Enlightened
if its my favorite light yes. if its a worklight, no... usually i dont ever run into situations where i have a camera and light in my hands at the same time but when i do. ill come back and respond what happens lanyard wise

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am trying to figure out what to do with this lanyard on a pocket light.
Sometimes the cord is wrapped around my knife ,when i get it out.
everytime i PUT the laynard around my wrist, it just doesnt feel right
i am not sure if it has ever "saved" the light from dropping

one setup that i use backpacking, i have the laynard tied to a elastic cord, but that was because i lost one, when it was not in use, and (of course) needed it later.

when a light is Hanging off my wrist with a laynard, that dont work at all for me.

i just dont know what to do for sure, so i was trying to get a consensus.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Turn it on, grab the end, and swing it around over my head yelling "yeee hawww"

jburgett

Newly Enlightened
I clip my EDC to the bottom of my cell phone belt holster with a lanyard. That way it is always with me, and it hangs midway into my pocket. I don't even notice it there, until needed.

Supernam

Enlightened
My A2 goes without lanyard so I can clip it in my pocket without something dangling out or making my pocket a useless cobweb of paracord.

My L6 has the lanyard on it because it usually sits deep in a pocket, or in my backpack's canteen pouch. This way I can draw the flashlight by the cord.

Streamer

Enlightened
I use a lanyard on the wrist with my AA Cree coz it is small to handle and I dont want it crashin to the ground. I always use one on my digital cam. Have saved ruining a cam many times so why not a light.

cy

Flashaholic
Li14430/CR2 lives on a lanyard around my neck...

best lanyard I've ever found came with infinity ultra G.
purchased several ultra G's just for the lanyard.

just the right size/weight with a breakaway built in. EDC'ing a precious light with a neck lanyard allows you to actually use light and still protect it.

here's my current EDC that travels with me...

edc 3 07.JPG

Flashlight Enthusiast
On my M6 I have a rather small turks head from grenny, and I use it to quickly flip my light out, a quick tug, flip and the ligh tis in my hand in combat status, ready for flashing, minus LOTC.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't really used one but I certainly would if I was somewhere up high, on the water, not wearing any pockets or if I was someplace where dropping it would mean losing it.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I chose the last option but it's not a stupid poll at all because you left everyone a way out. Thanks.

I prefer this method of using a wrist lanyard. It is much safer than anything else out there and it is widely known and used by those who need it. It's simple. You can let go anytime you want to. It works equally well for ice axes, knives or almost any other tools you may use in hazardous environs.

You don't have to lose your hand, arm, etc, etc.

The tool may be carried in a pocket or sheath with the wrist lanyard positively attached to the belt so it will still be there by the time you find out that you need it.

The lanyard needs to be made of an appropriate material and sized to the individual's bare hand or fitted for gloves, mitts or whatever may be worn on the hand. A good fit is very important.

Last edited:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sub_Umbra said:
I prefer this method of using a wrist lanyard. It is much safer than anything else out there...You don't have to lose your hand, arm, etc, etc.

+1

I've used this since I was a kid when a policeman demonstrated this type of lanyard with a police baton.

He impressed upon me that is *very* important to be able to turn loose of a lanyarded object if necessary.

The Porcupine

Enlightened
All of my lights have lanyards and most of them are long enough so I can carry them around my neck if needed.
I'm extremely clumsy and my lights would look like they'd been in both world wars by now if they didn't have lanyards!:laughing:
I always make sure that I can get the light/lanyard off if I need to, though!

carlsjrman

Newly Enlightened
I carry my light attached to a lanyard that's attached to my wallet. I tend to lose things easily, and this way one is always in my pocket anchoring the other.