Quick Change Light Engine in a 27LT - sort of.

Ganp

Enlightened
Here is a 'quick change' light engine for use in my McLux 27LT. Well almost. :whistle:

I do not want to actually mod my 27LT because I want to keep it as original. So I made some almost duplicate parts to 'mod' instead.

The idea was to build a light engine which could be easily removed in order to upgrade or change the LED or driver.

The original plan was to make it able to screw into the back of a bored out head, and I still might do this. But as I progressed, the idea of a simple slide-in light engine seemed better - so that's what I went with.

One of Goldserves Piglet drivers is housed in a brass can and the LED is a Seoul P4, mounted on an aluminium heat sink, which sits in the other end of the can.

Originally the heatsink was going to be potted in the can with Arctic Alumina. But then I thought that as it was a nice snug fit, why not just leave it as a push fit. It would then offer the ability to de-solder and change the LED quite easily.

The Piglet is more manageable with a clickie body but I had already provided for that. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/157392

I will let the pictures explain the rest - starting with the components just out of the workshop, and then showing how they go together.

IMG_6126.jpg

IMG_6127.jpg

IMG_6131.jpg

IMG_6128.jpg

IMG_6136.jpg

IMG_6141.jpg

So far I 'm very pleased with this. I have the convenience of a Piglet driver and a compact 27LT. Plus I get to keep my prized McLux as Don originally intended.

The non epoxied heatsink has already proved a good idea - for me anyway. Although the components were checked before assembly, once I put them all together I discovered that the base of the LED was shorted to the heatsink. :ohgeez:
It was easy to de-solder and separate the heatsink from the can, and I was lucky enough to be able to remove the LED without damage.
Now it is remounted and works fine ... this explains the great gobs of AA in the last picture of the assembled light engine.

And the focus is all I had hoped for - SWEET.

Thanks for looking,
Colin.