WOW! Runtime/brightness progress....

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just looking at runtimes and overall brightness readings on Quickbeams site and am amazed at the progress over the years. Take a look at how the new Fenix L1D-CE (with only a 1 AA cell) compares with Inova lights running on CR123 cells. I was shocked to see that the Fenix with 1 lithium AA ran for 7.14 hours with 27.3 lumens and an Inova XO with 2 CR123's only ran for 5.4 hours with 24 lumesn!! Progress is a GOOD thing!

Now you can have small, bright , long runtime.

HarveyRich

Enlightened
Do you mean the old Fenix? You mention the Fenix running on lithium? According to Fenix, the l1d-ce (on only a single AA battery) runs for 5 hrs at 40 lumens, on its medium setting.

Bomo

Newly Enlightened
HarveyRich said:
Do you mean the old Fenix? You mention the Fenix running on lithium? According to Fenix, the l1d-ce (on only a single AA battery) runs for 5 hrs at 40 lumens, on its medium setting.

He's referencing the runtime listed for an L1D-CE on medium with a lithium battery. FLR rates it at the quoted 7 hours and 14 minutes. Apparently, Fenix (the company) used NiMH's for runtime quotes.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
regulator said:
I was just looking at runtimes and overall brightness readings on Quickbeams site and am amazed at the progress over the years. Take a look at how the new Fenix L1D-CE (with only a 1 AA cell) compares with Inova lights running on CR123 cells. I was shocked to see that the Fenix with 1 lithium AA ran for 7.14 hours with 27.3 lumens and an Inova XO with 2 CR123's only ran for 5.4 hours with 24 lumesn!! Progress is a GOOD thing!

Now you can have small, bright , long runtime.
The introduction of the Cree LED around the first of the year doubled the run time - light output product for a given battery because it's twice as efficient as the Luxeon it's replacing. Now the manufacturers will trade the two in various ways until the next advancement in LED efficiency.

c_c

cslinger

Enlightened
I always remember as a kid wanting some kind of flashlight that was bright enough to use, had no bulbs to break and a really insane runtime of like 24 hours or so. Pure science fiction.

I have an HDS EDC on me right now that not only meets the above criteria, no scratch that, blows the above criteria right out of the water and is small enough to keep in my pocket. This still blows me away.

I have a Cree powered Fenix L1D-CE that will run for something like 30 hours at a so called "LOW" level that I personally would consider downright BRIGHT and do this on a single AA battery, again fitting in my pocket.

I have a 2D Maglite LED that can be used to light a medium sized room with a ceiling bounce for 34+ hours.

Lights can be used as candles safely and efficiently as well.

These things blow me away. Even though technically they are old hat by now, I still look back to being a kid with those crappy pen lights or even a "good" yellowing Maglite and can't help but think that even my crappiest light today is PURE SCIENCE FICTION as far as what I thought possible as a kid.

I remember watching movies as a kid where the protagonist would be lost in a cave, dark facility etc. etc. and have nothing but a yellowing or failing big ole' light and the suspense was palpable. Now I see things like that and think that with only my keychain light I would be putting out more light reliably for 3-6 hours, much less my one of my primary EDC lights such as an HDS EDC, Fenix L1T, L1D-CE, Surefire E1L etc. So basically by having instant access to quality light for very long periods of time and being an accomplished shooter and gun owner..........horror movies have just lost their luster.

"Was that a chainsaw I just heard?"
"I don't know, let me see." Quick flash from the HDS.
"Yep", it sure was and that freak is coming right for us!!!!"
Two to the chest, one to the head.......two or three more to the head since this is a horror movie........
"You wanna go get a burger?"

Roll credits Texas Chainsaw Massacre runtime 9 minutes 35 seconds.

Last edited:

Bomo

Newly Enlightened
Sometimes it just pays to look back and see where you've come from. I'm still waiting for my L1D-CE to start dimming.

Drew

Newly Enlightened
Bomo said:
Sometimes it just pays to look back and see where you've come from. I'm still waiting for my L1D-CE to start dimming.

Umm just give the head a small twist to the right. :ohgeez: I think the ESP UI will be out early 2008.
:lolsign:

I know what you really mean too small and bright to be true right? :grin2:

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Originally Posted by Bomo:

Sometimes it just pays to look back and see where you've come from.

How true !

Here is a thread of my EDC progression, starting 22+ years ago.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/141266

I'm old enough to still be amazed by these "modern miracles".
smile.gif

Certainly are great times for Flashaholics !