Since Cree lights, there is something wrong with me, Im sorry...

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember when I found this place a year and a few months ago. I was so excited to find people who had the same passion for lights that I did. And I was excited about lights..all brands, all outputs.

Lately, I am hostile to every manufacture that is not buliding Cree lights. What happened? Is the SL propolly all of a sudden a sucky light? Why do I hate Surefire so much? What have they ever done to me? I used to love their lights. I have even been worse to Inova for not being cree. I loved my new t3 when I got it, is it a bad light because it is not 100 lumans?

I also find myself quick to get in a argument here with those who disagree with me. Why? He/She is another flashlight fan.

So, I just wanted to say I am sory, both to you all and to all the manufactures who are still trying to produce a good product. I feel the lights availible (not just Cree) are the best it has ever been, I just want more-brighter-longer lasting...and I want it yesterday. How stupid.

I don't know if any of you are feeling the same way, but I feel like there are more arguments here than a year ago. Don't get me wrong, some disagreements are good and keep this place fun, but they are nastier then they used to be.

For me, I am going to try to scale back my posting, and take a few minutes to think about if my post will be helpful before I do write one. Thank you all for putting up with me and for the knowledge you have imparted to me. I am turely grateful. I just hope my future posts reflect someone who loves the products and people who appreciate them.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Since coming here, there is something wrong with me, Im sorry...

It seems to me that the way flashlight technology has advanced and is advancing one can get caught up in getting the latest and greatest. The problem is that if one maintains this mindset, one is never satisfied. You really have to sit back and analyze why you buy lights. We are all collectors in the sense that we have more lights than we need or can use. I realized a while back that I do not like to have lights just sit around. There have been many lights that I wanted to buy in the past few months but passed on them because I knew I probably would not use them. I have become very discerning in my purchases which has helped my wallet and has helped me enjoy the hobby more because I am not preoccupied with wanting to own the flavour of the month. I can see what you are saying about how your opinions have changed and some may say that there is nothing wrong and you have nothing to apologize for. I think that if you feel you need to make a change, then good for you. All these new lights and emitters etc...it is very easy to get caught up and forget that we supposed be having fun.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

I think that some of us are impatient with Surefire and Streamlight, for example, as they have not jumped on the Cree's and Seoul's, and promply started selling light with these emiters. We jumped on them fast, and overseas manufacturers, and our elite CPF manufacturers, such as the Sandwich Shoppe, and McGizmo, have helped us get what we want, NOW.

There are reasons why Streamlight and Surefire have not moved as fast as we like, and I hope one of the reason's is they need more time to evaluate the new leds before they market them to the world. We are already seeing some problems with the P4 Seoul's, apparent degrading at high amperage, and I would rather have Surefire put in a relieable high output emiter, than not.

Bill

FirstMain

Newly Enlightened

Since all this Cree uproar has started, I have......
Just sat back and watched the show, and picked up a bunch of perfectly good and like-new SF lights for peanuts. As time has progressed, the bloom has gone off the rose, and now comments are being made about Crees having imperfections, concerns about lifespan and such.

Meanwhile I have joyously added to my already excessive collection of Surefire lights.

Nope, maybe not the brightest...

Yup, they use more juice...

But they work just fine for me, and all my 'daily use' lights are running on rechargeables, so battery usage isn't an issue.

I've never been an early adopter of anything, and in a year or two, when the new Agnani XXX-99 Helios LED or some such becomes available, I'll start buying up all the Cree SF lights at bargain prices.

Just like I won't even look at Window$ Vista until it's up to service pack 2.

Ron, stodgy but contented

Cydonia

Enlightened

I first came across CPF over 4 years ago. From that fateful day to the present I am proud to say I've only bought 7 lights… and I recently sold 3! (Two Inova X5's & T2) So I'm down to just two Inova X1 old style spotlights, Inova 24/7 in the emergency bag and Maglite 3D (upgraded to MagLED) But I'm waiting for a 4C Mag to arrive next week to use the TerraLux P4 drop in with. I recently realized I don't have any small bright light that fits in a pocket. So I ordered a Fenix L2D CE a few days ago. And that's where it stops for me. 1 light for each special job:
  • MagLED 3D for long runtime black outs and/or in candle mode
  • Inova 24/7 for the unique modes and run times. In emergency kit, never gets used.
  • Inova X1 – 10 hours of tight spotlight from 1AA alkaline, can be an EDC or emergency light. Tough solid light, reliable as hell. (Used both the X1's exclusively during the Pacific NorthWest November 16 06' wind storm 53 hour black out)
  • Soon to arrive 4C Mag with Terralux for dependable rugged use and long range spot/max throw. Form factor ideal for a club. (With nite ize LED in tail cap for mega run time in emergency) 4C form factor also allows AA (lithium) to be used without adaptors for more capability and emergency flexibility.
  • Soon to arrive Fenix L2D CE for a small form factor multi mode utility light. Extra long run time modes fit emergency use well. Cheap, disposable, no tears shed if it is lost or dropped down a culvert etc., beam rings and thread quality and other user complaints mean squat IMHO.
So with every light I ask "will this light add a capability I don't already have and yet be powerful in it's function and use?" That's what buzzes in my head as I read every light review. It steers me clear of anything that doesn't fit my requirements. Otherwise if I were just out looking for any whiz bang light to get some kicks... Without guiding principles nothing makes sense and you'll buy willy-nilly with no rhyme or reason… a lot of poor souls here have got suckered into this addiction of buying without proper analysis first. It's serious and not a joke. But it's not just flashlights either... the other forums I'm active in are full of folks buying left and right without really knowing why. Beware!

defusion

Enlightened

I can't stand having a light that isn't being used.
I currently have 5 flashlights, and only 2 that were more then $5 (alright, this is a very deceptive number).

- surefire m3, which is probably the best light i've ever seen, fits in my pocket but will soon move to backpack. $200
- fenix l2d-ce, perfect for EDC, $60?
- 2xAAA maglite ripoff, for free
- chinese 7led, very much spill, low intensity, $5.
- maglite 3d, was a gift many years ago when i was a boyscout, was planning a ROP mod, because i have nothing that shines really far and really bright yet. but put it off until the summer, when we might have a camping trip.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Seems like everyone's having a good time here. Some are proud of how many they've bought, some are proud of how few.

Like most (here, not in the real world), I'm in between. What I can say is that since coming here, I've stopped buying guns and knives....:laughing:

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened

Greetings!

I think everyone who buys lights has something different in mind for what's important to them. I personally value ruggedness and reliability FAR above super-brightness or long battery life... and actually prefer some lights to be as dim as possible for certain types of tasks. I have a Surefire L2 that is as bright as I need in a light - the CREE lights appeal to me because of the increased battery life, not because of the brighter output.

Does this mean I'll badmouth CREE lights or chinese lights? No... I realize that some people like them for what they are and MY set of requirements for lights is different from OTHER people's requirements.

Best wishes,
Bawko

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast

sounds like growing pains, woodrow

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast

I guess most of us have gone Cree crazy,

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

woodrow said:
I also find myself quick to get in a argument here with those who disagree with me. Why? He/She is another flashlight fan.

nothing worth "arguing" about, things are relative, and things have ramifications, a good "debate" instead would point out all possible ramifications and how things are relative.

if you guys want to call it arguing :) well the reader still picks up more data on a product.

do i want nasty threads, and burnt out lights, and cross threading, and stuff blowing up and failing? YES :) as long as the price is right.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast

post deleted

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
umm that doesnt HELP, them pm things and e-mails are betwixt you and him.
What happened to the few minutes , you were going to take before posting? :)

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
My point was to show that even when you take the high road and try to apologize to someone here at cpf...it can be thrown back in your face.

carrot

Flashaholic
Ever since the whole Cree craze there's only two lights that have managed to move into my EDC rotation, which is generally a few lights (3-4) that are most commonly carried based on what I'm thinking I might be doing-- the McG PD-S mizer, which has superb runtime and output because it uses a Seoul. The other is a Fenix L1D-CE, of which I'm less than happy with the interface, but I appreciate the dimming features, and so I tolerate the multimode UI (barely! though I recognize many people do like it).

I don't see much reason to abandon older Lux lights when they work great. I still carry my MagLED 3AA occasionally. I carry my Lux E1L a lot. The Fenix L1S still sees pocket time. And the most "obsolete" of them all, the Surefire A2 sees a fair share of usage.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. I just bought another SurvivorLED after selling mine and missing it. I also just bought a 25 lumen mn02 bulb for an old e2 I found the other week.

yep it would be easy to go cree crazy. But I also like the quality of some lights so just because it is not the brightest does not mean (to me) that it can't be the best.

nightgaunt

Newly Enlightened
Many seem to have gone with the "flavor of the week" when it comes to lights. What's new and "greatest" can drive people into a frenzy of must-haves, and feel the need to keep up with the industry (and others!).

Just collect and USE what works for you, and don't ever feel pressured to buy everything (Crees, etc) that comes out on the market. There is a niche/use for most of the lights out there, even if they are not the latest-and-greatest...