Wuben        

View Poll Results: Which Nimh AA battery would you buy Today?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sanyo Eneloops 2000mah (Low self-discharge)

148 69.48%
  • Rayova Hybrids 2100mah (Low self-discharge)

40 18.78%
  • Uniross Hybrios 2100mah (Low self-discharge)

8 3.76%
  • Maha Powerex 2700mah

15 7.04%
  • Duracell 2650mah

15 7.04%
  • Sanyo 2700mah

33 15.49%
  • Energizer 2500mah

8 3.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Nimh AA battery would you buy Today?

Default Which Nimh AA battery would you buy Today?

Which AA rechargeble cells will you buy according to your experience and what you've heard from others? (you may select more than 1 choice)

I've listed the leading brands of Nimh batteries here - that we've all been discussing on CPF. The capacities are the highest currently available for each brand. Keep in mind that some companies under-rate their capacities.

The low-self discharge cells have lower capacity than others, but they are very popular because their energy levels will be higher than normal nimh's after a week or so. They retain 70-90% of charge after one year. I'd choose Eneloops because they were the first to come out with this new technology and they hold their charge longest (90% compared to 70-80% for Uniross & Rayovac) after sitting on shelf a year.

Here are some photos:
    Last edited by xiaowenzu; 04-05-2007 at 11:51 AM.

Default Re: Which Nimh AA battery would you buy Today?

Oh and for further info here's where place of manufacturer for each brand...

Sanyo Eneloops: Made in Japan (Japanese company)
    Rayovac Hybrids: Made in China (U.S company)
    Uniross Hybrios: Made in Europe (British company)
    Maha Powerex: Made in Japan (U.S company)
    Duracell 2650: Made in Japan (U.S company)
    Sanyo 2700: Made in Japan (Japanese company)
    Energizer 2500: Made in China (U.S company)
    Last edited by xiaowenzu; 04-06-2007 at 11:54 PM.

Flashaholic

I would buy Voltcraft AA batteries, 2100 mAh, because they are very cheap (3 Euro for 4 batteries at a store called Aldi) and I heard of some good experiences from people using these batteries.

*Flashaholic*

I'm totally sold on Eneloops at this point. The higher capacity cells seem to self-discharge at such a high rate that they have less capacity than the Eneloops after sitting about a week. Besides that, the Eneloops test at somewhat higher than their rated capacity (2013.5 mAh average for 12 AA cells and 840.8 mAh average for 8 AAA cells on my C9000) compared to the others which all test at less than rated capacity, even the Sanyo 2700s (2565.3 mAh average for 8 cells on the C9000). This pretty much seals the deal as far as I'm concerned.

You should add Powerizers. That's what I'd choose since I have tons of them already and they are dirt cheap from batteryspace.

Just wait till Sanyo releases the new Eneloop 2800mah later this year!!

Quote Originally Posted by dammitjim
    You should add Powerizers. That's what I'd choose since I have tons of them already and they are dirt cheap from batteryspace.
    I never heard of 'Powerizers'... I did a search but couldn't find them. Are these from a small Chinese company?

This is kind of funny because I just bought my first Eneloops and charger today!
    And it's the first rechargeable battery I've bought in over 7 years...
    What made me do it? The low self discharge that actually means the battery can sit around for months and not be dead when you go to use it. AND the really small compact Sanyo chargers with no cords or adaptors... with flip out plug...and that charges 2AA in 3 or 4 hours nice and cool. And because Sanyo, it is almost universally believed, has a reputation of making the best NiCd batteries too.

I'll buy eneloops and Powerex 2700 cells. I'm not impressed with my Sanyo 2700s.

Flashaholic

Eneloops! In fact, I bought another 8 yesterday. These things recycle my flash guns faster than 2700 mAh cells, last much longer sitting around in my various portable radios, and are always ready to go after sitting in a light for months. I really don't need to use conventional alkaline AA's any more.

Cheers
    I'm a peripheral visionary...

Sanyo Eneloop 2800 eh? If they are also low discharge they will just about sweep the field you might think.

I think it depends on the application.

If it's something I use frequently, I'd go for the Sanyo or Powerex 2700.

If I use something infrequently, I'd buy the Eneloop 2000.

Since I own more Eneloops than anything else, that's how I will vote.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by 7histology
    Sanyo Eneloop 2800 eh?
    Don't hold your breath.... I don't think we'll see these any time soon.

Cheers
    I'm a peripheral visionary...

I'm skeptical of the Sanyo 2700 after bad experiences with the Sanyo and Energizer 2500's. My Energizers were almost certainly made by Sanyo (Made in Japan, "HR" stamped on cathode terminal).

Eneloops, Hybrids; I'd even give Enduros a shot. My Energizer 2500s (Sanyo) haven't died on me, but I just don't see the extra mAh being worth it. Eneloops basically remove the worry and management concerns.

My Duracell 2650mAhs were Made in Japan, not Singapore.

I've had those and Energizer 2500mAh and they all performed fabulous out of the package, but durability is questionable. They all held capacity reasonably well if you capacity test immediately after charging, but some cells developed very high rate of self discharge.

Two of my Duracell 2650mAh would discharge 90% overnight and had well under 100 cycles. Energizer 2500mAhs degraded in a similar way, but not quite as bad. They all had respectable capacity retention when they were brand new.

I would buy Duracell 2650s, the cheapest 8 pack I could find at Wal-Mart. I bought a set in December, they are made in Japan, so far they have performed well, still at 90% charge retention after 1 month. Of course, I can't say anything about their long term durability.

I would avoid Energizer 2500s, my Dad has had trouble with them. (Although, I have some old Energizer 1850s that still perform well).

For an LSD cell, I would buy Rayovac, simply because they are relatively cheap and available at Target. I have no experience with them.

EssLight
    Hello, my name is EssLight, and I am definitely a flashaholic.

I'm skeptical of all the 2500+ AA batteries, as they are pushing the limits of that cell construction so far that I keep getting much lower capacity stored when measured by the Maha C9000.

I'm likely not going to bother with any higher than 2300-2500 anymore. The higher numbers look good, but very few actually see how their stored capacity is not what they promote, nor is it staying as high as when new...even with proper charging/cycling/conditioning/storing procedures.

Obvious using the Eneloops is the way to go for long periods of battery storage in between uses.

That's very true. There are far too many issues reported by people - evidently the self-discharge rate of Energizer Nimh AA is very high. They are made in China and I would advise people to avoid buying it.

Get Duracells 2650.. at least they're made in Japan. (although some are made in Singapore).

Quote Originally Posted by Handlobraesing
    I've had those and Energizer 2500mAh and they all performed fabulous out of the package, but durability is questionable. They all held capacity reasonably well if you capacity test immediately after charging, but some cells developed very high rate of self discharge.

Two of my Duracell 2650mAh would discharge 90% overnight and had well under 100 cycles. Energizer 2500mAhs degraded in a similar way, but not quite as bad. They all had respectable capacity retention when they were brand new.

I don't pay a premium for higher-cap cells - especially when mAh ratings are relative and the price/performance curve is logrithmic. First off, the mAh number is nearly useless between manufacturers. Maybe they are 2700s if you discharge them very slowly. I don't see a point in paying twice as much for a nominal 5-15% increase in capacity that I likely won't notice. Eneloop Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by EssLight
    I would buy Duracell 2650s, the cheapest 8 pack I could find at Wal-Mart. I bought a set in December, they are made in Japan, so far they have performed well, still at 90% charge retention after 1 month. Of course, I can't say anything about their long term durability.

I would avoid Energizer 2500s, my Dad has had trouble with them. (Although, I have some old Energizer 1850s that still perform well).

For an LSD cell, I would buy Rayovac, simply because they are relatively cheap and available at Target. I have no experience with them.

EssLight
    Run a few tens of full depth cycles (discharge to 0.9v @ 0.5A, then fully charge@ 2.7A) and you'll report something different for at least a few of your cells.

Quote Originally Posted by xiaowenzu
    I never heard of 'Powerizers'... I did a search but couldn't find them. Are these from a small Chinese company?
    Powerizers are here: www.batteryspace.com

I've been using them for years for toys and remotes and stuff like that. They work fine in my flashlights as far as I can tell, but I don't have anyhting else to compare them to.

They are cheap - around $1 each if you buy one of the package deals. FYI you can use coupon code "batteryspace" for an extra 5% off.

I'm kind of stuck with getting my batteries at Walmart.

I am less than pleased with Energizer 2500. I have one 4 pack of Hybrids, and haven't put them to the acid test of running my GPSr as of yet.

Energizer, Duracell and Rayovac are the brands easily available. Therefor I would buy Hybrids.

That said, my older 1800 Rayovacs, 1850 and 2100 Energizers and a few other +-2000mAh nimh have been good so far and for a lot longer than the E2500s!!!
    http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2640/usflaghalfmastmdwht.gif

PBJS

I bought a bunch of Energizer's a year or so ago, and they're all pretty much worthless now. Based on some tests done here at CPF, I pickup a pack of Eneloops and charger last week. So far so good. I'm using them in an L1D-CE which I occasionally switch to an L2D-CE body.

The real test will be this fall when my wife and I pull out our Yaesu VX7R amateur radios and work the LSU football games. We do radio communications support for first aid groups. I used to go through two sets of Energizers in each per game. I'm very curious to see how the Eneloops perform. I jus thope they've released some 2800's by then!
    EDC: Surefire e2l, Novatac P7/d2flex

P.S.: I was using the Energizer 2500's with their little slide out charger and a Lenmar charger, which I just recently realized, thanks to CPF, was a simple timer charger. That's why I bought the Eneloop charger. Separate charging channels and I think it's smart.
    EDC: Surefire e2l, Novatac P7/d2flex

Quote Originally Posted by bluecrow76
    I'm very curious to see how the Eneloops perform. I jus thope they've released some 2800's by then!
    I think you'd be pleasantly surprised to find the Eneloops outperform many '2700' cells!

I picked Ray O Vac Hybrids because they are on sale presently. $7.49-7.99 per four pack.
    My doctor says I am a paranoid narcissist. I have the feeling I am plotting against myself.
    Rule #9: Always carry a knife. Rule #9a: Always carry a flashlight.

Flashaholic

I think I use Lenmar's?
    *** What the hell did I do now??? ***

I just put two Hybrid 2100 in my C Crane that had been sitting on my desk.

Prior to that they had been in one of my many (but which one?) 2AA lights and hadn't gotten very much use.

In ANY case it's been a couple three weeks or more since they've been charged.

They started at 1.34 going up.

ANY of my regular NimH that sit that long usually show 1.2x or less.

I reckon I'm impressed with the notion of Hybrid or Eneloops!!!
    http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2640/usflaghalfmastmdwht.gif

PBJS

Just got some Eneloops yesterday at HHGregg store. $7.99 a 4 pack AA, got 2 packs.
    Finally got rid of my dud Energizer 2500s for the most part.
    Stanley 5 Watt LED spotlights, Streamlight ProPolymer Luxeon, Panasonic Bq-390 chargers, Maha chargers, Eneloops

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast