SureFire as an doctors light?

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I have a friend who is going to be a doctor. And like me he share the same taste in flashlights! that would be SF...

Anyway, I have a E1E and thought that it would be a very nice light to have as a doctor! But there is just one problem, the bulb is to bright for that purpose! Its very unpleasent to get hit in the eye with. And I dont think his future patients are gonna like it... So here comes my question! Is there a bulb for the E1E that is less bright than the 15 lumen it comes with? Or is there some way to make it less bright?

I had a thougt about using a 150 lumen bulb from LF that requires 7.2V, but instead use a regular 3.0V CR123 batt. Does this affect the bulbs lifetime negative, and are the runtime going to be very bad because of that particular bulb?

If this could be solved, he is going to be a praud owner of a SF for sure!

Thanks in advance!

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha, funny, wouldnt that defeat the intended purpose of a Surefire? :)
Why don't you just give him a Surefire anyway, but to use for regular things? My brother is also a med stud, and when talking to him, it seems that they prefer regular "cheap" penlights. Not too bright, and easy to carry in the pockets with the rest of their pens. A little curiosa is that LED lights was not allowed at his hospital last time I asked him, but that might have been cause the management thought all leds where angry blue 5mms.

Sorry for not helping you with your question, but I just thought the situation was a bit funny. :)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The E1e is too short and will be difficult to carry in a breast pocket like doctors do. I recently switched to a SF L2 for that purpose and use the low mode (duh!) ... but it is still plenty bright. I mostly use the corona for shining it in the eyes, but the power comes useful when looking in other places of the body.
I'd look into the L1, too.
bernie

freewheelin'

Enlightened
My Dr. used a AAMiniM@g but when she went to use it on me the batts. were dead dead. I loaned her my E1E and she flipped out. She ordered one from battery junction before she let me leave her office. She even bookmarked battery junction for future batts.
That was 2 years ago and everytime I see her she flashes it at me.
BTW with the 30% closeout coupon E1E's are $54.00 now at TacticalSupply.com

defusion

Enlightened
I'd recommend the surefire M6 with the 500 lumen bulb!

no, in al fairness, i think you need something with REALLY low output for this. the lowest setting on my fenix is even to high, and thats 9 lumen!
think you need something like the surefire A2, and use the LED's for inspections, and the incan for general purpose. or use the surefire L1 (1.1 lumen on lowest setting!), but highest output is only 22 lumen with that, so i think the A2 is the better choice.

simonsays

Newly Enlightened
Most junior doctors exist in a sleep deprived semi-dazed state. They are forever misplacing things (Pens, pagers, stethoscopes, patients x rays) and usually have their pockets pretty well stuffed with books and things. A surefire is probably too big, too bright and too likely to get lost.

I keep a photon clone on a length of paracord around my neck and under my theatre scrubs for checking pupil response, its pretty much perfect for the job.

Simon

dartos

Newly Enlightened
I think a Fenix P1D-ce might work well as a pocket light for office exams, I purchased a Surefire M3 to experiment in surgery, sometimes when we do a bowel resection I aim the main surgical spot light down and behind the tissue structure that contains the vessels that "feed" the bowel, we must identify and "tie off" these vessels before resection, illuminating from behind allows us to see the vessels within, I thought if I used my SF M3 in a clear sterile bag I could "really light up" the vessels, the problem I had was the M3 came with the CB bezel, not the smooth bezel and I was afraid it would puncture the bag and contaminate the area.

I also purchased a 48 UV LED flashlight to use in cases where we inject the patient with Flurosine(sp), the drug is used when we question if there is a lack of blood flow to an area of bowel, once injected into the patients bloodstream and after 5 min. we turn room lights off, turn on a black light and the bowel with good blood flow has a "glow" to it, an area with "blockage" will not glow..that area must be resected or removed.

Sorry for the long rant..once I purchased the M3 I got hooked, I now own 20+ flashlights..you guys got me seriously addicted..Thanks!

Kevin

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
A led light is out of the question due to the color rednetion(spelling?) so he must have a incan. He is now using a mini mag but thought it would be cooler with a SF. But its a bit to bright.

Still no thoughs on the setup for lower light?:thinking:

Otherwise he is going to be stuck with his m*g! Thats not right? :)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Some inappropriate posts will have to disappear in order to keep the thread running.
Sorry.
bernie

heliyardsale

Newly Enlightened
Kiessling said:
Some inappropriate posts will have to disappear in order to keep the thread running.
Sorry.
bernie

I'm a doc, I was using a crappy throw away freebe I got from a drug rep, Now I'm using a Fenix LOD-CE on low, works great, nice and small, pocket clip works great.
I'd buy him one, then get him a couple of 10440's for play on high mode while he is waiting for his next pt to arrive...
Heli

Alteran

Enlightened
Where the grass is blue, up is down, and hamburger
defusion said:
I'd recommend the surefire M6 with the 500 lumen bulb!

no, in al fairness, i think you need something with REALLY low output for this. the lowest setting on my fenix is even to high, and thats 9 lumen!
think you need something like the surefire A2, and use the LED's for inspections, and the incan for general purpose. or use the surefire L1 (1.1 lumen on lowest setting!), but highest output is only 22 lumen with that, so i think the A2 is the better choice.

If you get a two-stage surefire with that kind of switch, your friend would have to be careful not to depress the switch too much! :laughing: Also, good luck finding a high-quality incandescent dim enough for those purposes.

Genesis 1:3

Newly Enlightened
I EDC my P1DCE on my belt. While it is good for most things I do around the hospital, I found LED light gives me too much glare/reflection (even at low power setting) when checking patient's mouth/throat. This often disguised an inflamed throat. For this purpose, I still use a cheap hospital supplied incan. I am thinking about the e1e though but not sure if the light level is too much for this purpose.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a thougt about using a 150 lumen bulb from LF that requires 7.2V, but instead use a regular 3.0V CR123 batt. Does this affect the bulbs lifetime negative, and are the runtime going to be very bad because of that particular bulb?
Under-driving an incan bulb will increase the life -- double-life bulbs are just higher-voltage filaments that trade off efficiency for life. That's also why there are some old incandescents still running after 80+ years. However, a 7.2V bulb at 3.0V is not going to be enough voltage to light up, it will just provide a little resistance and act as a portable hand-warmer...

an incan bulb with a two level resistance switch would work though. The same will also work on an LED but a much higher ohm resistor will be needed for the LED as LEDs will light up at much lower current than incan.

knot

Banned
Funny that you mention Doctor's light. It reminds me that I have a 6.2 volt Welch Allyn 73308. It's such a tiny incandescent bulb that unscrews at the end of a cord with a switch midline. I wonder what it's used for. I'm sure it's obsolete by now. I have used it once while modifying my computer but it's mostly a dust collector.

Mark@LF

Enlightened
You can think about using our LF-I Penlite. It uses 2 AAA and have a 15 lumens output, the colour rendition is great and it is cheap. It is very handy for doctors and mechanics. :)

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
a gen 1 inova x1 would be good enough for the pupil test...

but of course, the colour rendition is not what you can ask for in a medical light.

those freaking lights they use in ops are so expensive because of their light is calibrated to be as near to the sun's as possible aka natural light.

knot

Banned
chesterqw said:
a gen 1 inova x1 would be good enough for the pupil test...

but of course, the colour rendition is not what you can ask for in a medical light.

those freaking lights they use in ops are so expensive because of their light is calibrated to be as near to the sun's as possible aka natural light.

Well that prompted me to find out what I have. I bought it years ago at a yard sale with spare bulbs: http://www.allheart.com/wa78010.html

Maybe i'll ebay it if it isn't obsolete. It's $199 at this place: http://www.a1medicalsales.com/Merch...de=A&Product_Code=78810&Category_Code=VAGSPEC

Last edited: