ARC SLS Woes (Very Depressed Flashoholic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luminocity

Newly Enlightened
Things did not go well for my 2 week old SLS today.

I was at work and pulled my SLS out of my pocket to show a friend when to my horror, it slipped out of my hand (123 config can be a bit awkward to hold) onto a tile floor. After inspecting the light for dents and scratches and finding none, I thought wow, that was a close call, amazing durable finish!!! Then I tried to turn the light on and I got a brief flash of light and that was it. Dead!!!!
frown.gif
It was only about a 2.5 foot drop, but seems that was enough to kill the thing.

For the rest of the day, I held out hopes (delusions) that it was the battery that had somehow been damaged by the fall. As soon as I got home, I immediately tried another battery (123) and even the 2 AA config. Nothing... Then with the 2 AA config still in place, I carefully bumped the head of the light against my palm (ouch!!!). I got a few brief flashes of light and apparently those were the last gasps of life from my beloved SLS.

This was by a long shot, the coolest flashlight I have ever owned, but I am really surprised that a relatively minor impact killed the thing. One of the big advantages of LED's is the ability to withstand shocks. Of course it could be an issue with the circuitry, although I assume it is potted.

I know the ARC LS first's have a 10 year warranty and that the SLS's have a 7 day return policy. I am wondering if I am SOL or if Peter will work with me on this. I just can't believe that the unit would crater from a relatively minor impact like that. The fall did not even leave any visible traces on the unit. Surely they are not all that easily damaged. I'm glad this didn't happen while hiking at night. This light was my EDC and with an EDC I think it is reasonable to expect that accidents like this will happen from time.

I think it would be interesting to find out what went wrong with the light.

This really is a disappointment and I am totally bummed as I really miss my awesome light. For the moment, I am back to carrying one of my ARC AAA's.

Has anyone else had an experience that is similar to mine? Anyone experienced any kind failure with an ARC SLS or ARC LS?

mindcrime

Newly Enlightened
Um, I am wondering why you are wondering if Peter will work with you. Why not ask him directly. His reputation is excellent here and sounds like one heck of a guy. Rather than subtle hints that MIGHT be construed as questioning the quality, durability and customer service of Arc lights, you would probably get further by explaining your problem to Peter firsthand.

Sorry to hear about your situation. My SLS is about 2 weeks old, carried in 123 config, and often used in my hard-tiled computer room at work. I feel your pain.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, just send me a note. As far as the this slight impact killing the light, this is the first case I have heard of. There was one in Tucson that was dropped on the pavement and stopped working. Replacing the battery fixed the problem though. You have already tried that. Not seeing the unit, I can only guess as to the fault. There may have been a part knocked loose from the PCB (possible even through the potting I assume). At any rate, a new head is probally the best fix.

We do have a revision in testing that will increase the ability of the PCB to handle shock.

But again, this is the first I have heard of this happening.

Peter Gransee

d'mo

Enlightened
Wow, Surprise to me. I accidentally dropped mine from a platform onto a concrete floor while it was on. All-in-all, a drop of about seven feet. No troubles and not a mark on it.

JollyRoger

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by d'mo:
Wow, Surprise to me. I accidentally dropped mine from a platform onto a concrete floor while it was on. All-in-all, a drop of about seven feet. No troubles and not a mark on it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NO marks, and you dropped in onto concrete!

d'mo

Enlightened
No Marks? Well, I guess there is one, but I had to study very carefully to find it. It apparently landed on the bottom corner of the 123 case, adjacent to the lanyard opening. There was about 1/4 to 3/8 inch of water on the floor (it was in a food processing plant) that may have cushioned the landing, but I was surprised that the impact wasn't enough to take the paint off. I guess I got lucky. None the less, it's a very tough light. I've dropped other lights from less distances with more damage. I'm no physics expert, but maybe the smaller mass had something to do with it.

Sorry for the slight exaggeration.

Status
Not open for further replies.