Why Tail Clickies?

NightBandit

Newly Enlightened
I know that I'm new to the world of flashlights, but I have a question. Why do so many companies make their flashlights with tail (end cap) clickies? I understand the priciple behind this for tactical (police and military) use, but a majority of these lights will never see any tactical use.

From the way that I carry and use a flashlight, it would be much easier (and convenient) if the clickie was on the body (like a MagLite). Do these companies do this just because they like to think of themselves as producing a tactical light (when they really aren't)?

Do most of you like the clickie on the tail or am I alone in my thoughts?

Thanks,

NightBandit

defusion

Enlightened
I use it like one would when used tacticaly. i only prefer a clicky on the body in the case of a large light, like a mag.

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
I like a clicky on the tail because it makes for a slimmer light. Also, it's easier to fix/replace the switch if it's in a tailcap. In addition, a lot of tailcaps have a lockout feature which many find useful.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome, Its practical for the smaller lights, easy to manufacture as the switch is not placed in the barrel.

ja10

Enlightened
It's also useful because once on, you can grip it any way you want without turning it off.

sawlight

Enlightened
I like them because I have some finger "issues" and they are easier for me to operate than a twisty head.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't have to do anything "tactical" to see a benefit. Next time you are using your light try holding the light at waist level, then close your eyes and try to keep the image in your mind while you bring the light up to eye level with the thumb on the end. When you open your eyes you will notice that you do not see as many shadows, and the shadows will not be as big. This will not work if you are facing a white wall with nothing to cause shadows, so use a more real world environment.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, I prefer head twisties for AA and AAA lights. Makes for a shorter light and there's no switch to ever wear out. I have found that most head twisties turn too easily. I try to find a slightly thicker O-ring or just add a second O-ring.

Having said that, I think I've only had one tail switch wear out on me, assuming I paid over $10 for the light and honestly, my three most used lights are three different designs - one a barrel clickie, one a tail clickie and one a head twisty.

Sable

Enlightened
I like side clickies on beefy, long lights - Mag-Lites and the like. I have an M6 on order, which I think may be the largest light I'd like a tailswitch on - but we'll see. Smaller lights, I find the rear activation more convenient due to the generally narrow sizes of the body tubes.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
The clickies on the body probably add at least an inch of length to the length of the body. Probably closer to 2 inches on a maglite.

KeeperSD

Enlightened
When using either small or larger lights i use them up near the shoulder as would be described as tactical i guess. Whether it be the magcharger or my WE it is just a natural position that allows me a lot of control when using them and adds soem height to the beam rather than it being projected from waist height.

Strange thing is that our low light shooting system teaches to use the lights the other way, with the LA towards the thumb, so the light and the glock are together with two hands still on the glock and the switch is activated by the bottom of the thumb. It is a little tricky to start with but offers great control and different to some other low light shooting methods still alows for two handed shooting, this this is not possible with a tail cap operated light. With this in mind i was interested in the LAPD duty light thread

Last edited:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
NightBandit said:
From the way that I carry and use a flashlight, it would be much easier (and convenient) if the clickie was on the body (like a MagLite). Do these companies do this just because they like to think of themselves as producing a tactical light (when they really aren't)?...Do most of you like the clickie on the tail or am I alone in my thoughts?

They probably put tail switches on lights because:
1. they're cheaper.
2. lights with them are easier to design and manufacture.
3. they're easier to replace when they fail.
4. they can market the light as 'tactical.'

My preferences:

I don't like a tail clicky on any light intended for walking, hiking, or general outdoors use.

I actually do like tail clickies on slim 2AAA penlights and the like.

I can tolerate a tail clicky on a 1AA light, but would prefer a body or head clicky.

I don't like a tail clicky on a 2AA light. I can live with it on a general utility 2AA light. But, it means I won't use that light walking or outdoor use.

Finally, I really dislike tail clickies on lights bigger than 2AA. I can live with them, but it limits the light to non-outdoor use.

walkabout

Newly Enlightened
ringzero said:
They probably put tail switches on lights because:
1. they're cheaper.
2. lights with them are easier to design and manufacture.
3. they're easier to replace when they fail.
4. they can market the light as 'tactical.'

I think ringzero has pretty much nailed it.

I have all three varieties in AA lights. I find the body switch by far the most convenient for one-handed use. But they seem an uncommon breed.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
Pretty much all of my lights have a click on tail cap. When I reach for my light it is usually to see something that I am working on therefore I want the light at eye level. I can pull the light out of it holster/pocket click it or hold it with my thumb and never miss a beat.

Every time I grab the Mag Light out of my tool box I feel like it is a pain in the butt to use.

Patriot

Flashaholic
defusion said:
I use it like one would when used tacticaly. i only prefer a clicky on the body in the case of a large light, like a mag.

What defusion and Art V. said :)

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mikeg23 said:
Pretty much all of my lights have a click on tail cap. When I reach for my light it is usually to see something that I am working on therefore I want the light at eye level. I can pull the light out of it holster/pocket click it or hold it with my thumb and never miss a beat....Every time I grab the Mag Light out of my tool box I feel like it is a pain in the butt to use.

I agree that tail clickies work great for small utility-work lights. I actually prefer tail clickies on penlights and compact AA work lights.

But, have you ever operated a bigger Mag-sized light with a tailcap switch? It's very awkward, at least for me. Any light with a tail clicky and overall length more than about seven inches feels awkward and clumsy to switch on and off.

If you are in a situation where you will switch the light on at the start of a job, then leave it on for a good while, then switch it off when finished with the job, then the clumsiness of a tailcap switch on a bigger light isn't that bad.

Example of a bigger light with tailcap switch would be the Streamlight PP 3C lights. These make for great utility-work lights, but are less desirable for me as hiking-outdoor lights.

Noxonomus

Newly Enlightened
I like that a tail clicky is always easy to find. Even on a perfectly smooth light your first guess has a 50% chance of being right, and if there is any difference between the ends of the light you will be able to put your thumb on the button first try every time. Plus rolling a light around in my hand to get the switch in a comfortable position is just kinda annoying. I too prefer the side switch on larger lights though.

Last edited:

Mikeg23

Enlightened
ringzero said:
But, have you ever operated a bigger Mag-sized light with a tailcap switch? It's very awkward, at least for me. Any light with a tail clicky and overall length more than about seven inches feels awkward and clumsy to switch on and off.

The biggest light I have with a tail switch is a Surefire 9P the 6P that I carry at work every night is perfect though. I think that a 2C light with tail cap would be okay, but a 3C would be uncomfortable.

I think what drives me crazy about the Mag switch is that the light is round so the switch is that much harder to find. Also, I should point out that anytime I use a light that has a body mounted switch I still hold it the same way as I would my 6P so I am looking for the switch with my middle finger.

I'm with ringzero (and others here). I prefer tail cliclies on small -especially pocket and pen - lights but find side clickies much easier on large lights.

Last edited:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mikeg23 said:
I think what drives me crazy about the Mag switch is that the light is round so the switch is that much harder to find. Also, I should point out that anytime I use a light that has a body mounted switch I still hold it the same way as I would my 6P so I am looking for the switch with my middle finger.

Yeah, the big Mags don't have the best ergonomics. It would help if there was some sort of tactile index machined along the body - maybe a flat area - to aid in locating the switch by touch. Some other lights have a flat milled along the body and it does seem to help in finding the switch.