My interview for a new job - got offered $10K more than what I asked

lightwave1209

Newly Enlightened
So I interviewed for a new job yesterday. The partner asked me what I wanted for a salary. I told him, $70K a year.

He scribbled a figure on my resume and pushed it across his desk to me. "How's that?" he asked.

The figure was $80K. Man, I never had that happen.

What's the catch.

BTW, I am a believer in God, so I do thank the good Lord for this.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Congrats to you! But dude, if I'm the boss and my job is to make money for the company, I wouldnt pay 10K more than what the applicant asks for! :laughing:

lightwave1209

Newly Enlightened
PoliceScannerMan said:
Congrats to you! But dude, if I'm the boss and my job is to make money for the company, I wouldnt pay 10K more than what the applicant asks for! :laughing:

The market is fierce around here for people with experience. I think he just wants to "lock" me in.

lightwave1209

Newly Enlightened
Also, during the interview I told the partner I know my stuff, in so many words. Since he only had my word for it, and based his offer on that, I suppose I better deliver when the time comes.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
lightwave1209 said:
Also, during the interview I told the partner I know my stuff, in so many words. Since he only had my word for it, and based his offer on that, I suppose I better deliver when the time comes.

What do you do?

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that if more money was offered, "partner" feels perhaps due to your experience and the motivation of the Company supporting you; buildings will get built faster and perhaps with less conflict;

Means more opportunities, happier emplyees and more dollars.

So "All is Good".

Congratulations :).

jeffb

lightwave1209

Newly Enlightened
Yeah he said I will be given free reign to do whatever I want (explore my abilities) within the company.

He said, if work is light, I can just "take off" but on the other hand if there is a deadline I am expected to do whatever it takes to complete.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
lightwave1209 said:
He said, if work is light, I can just "take off" but on the other hand if there is a deadline I am expected to do whatever it takes to complete.
well just buy a surefire M6 and you will have plenty of light then you can come to cpf and buy more light.

all jokes aside i am very glad you got a great offer. good job, work hard, work well.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
NICE!!! Good for you!!! What an unexpected surprise!!
You MUST be good!!!
Congrads, I hope all works out perfectly for you!!!

lightwave1209

Newly Enlightened
Wow, I never realized CPF has so many kind and supportive people.

Thanks for the encouragement, and may God bless you all!

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations. The (almost) exact thing happened to me 6 years ago. I told the local manager who was interviewing me the minimum I could accept (to change to a job that required more hours etc). He said HR at head office makes those decisions. When I got my offer letter it was exactly $10,000 more than I asked for.

Greg

Last edited:

lightwave1209

Newly Enlightened
LED_Thrift said:
Now let's get down to the important question... What is your next light?

Good question, for which there is no easy answer. There are so many good lights out there!

(I already have the Fenix P1D CE, and that is with me all the time).

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrads, seems my thing is call centers and they top out at about 14 bucks an hour, but at least I get 5 hours ot every week if I am interested.