Maglite problem

pepperbelly

Newly Enlightened
I have had a Maglite for years that stopped working. It is a 5 or 6 D-Cell, I don't remember which. I installed batteries, stored it and it didn't work when I needed it much later. Thinking it was dead batteries I replaced them with no result, then I replaced the bulb. It still didn't work, although I could bump it and see it try. I cleaned the contact points that I could find with no result.
After reading a few posts here I was thinking I could do something with it.

Ideas?

Jim

turbodog

Flashaholic
Mag will fix it for free. And if it's caused by leaking batteries they will bill the battery company.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Check the tailcap spring. Oftentimes corrosion will set in between the spring and the shiny groove in the tailcap.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, I think...
I can find it very simply in italy so in USA....

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
FILIPPO said:
yes, I think...
I can find it very simply in italy so in USA....

How do you mean? I thought it was a fairly complicated but reliable set up. Can't find the thread, but have a recollection of someone taking it a part, and he was marvelled over how it was made, over 20 pieces.
Or are you talking about the switch cover?

LightInDarkness

Newly Enlightened
pepperbelly said:
I have had a Maglite for years that stopped working. It is a 5 or 6 D-Cell, I don't remember which. I installed batteries, stored it and it didn't work when I needed it much later. Thinking it was dead batteries I replaced them with no result, then I replaced the bulb. It still didn't work, although I could bump it and see it try. I cleaned the contact points that I could find with no result.
After reading a few posts here I was thinking I could do something with it.

Ideas?

Jim

Save it to use as a club and purchase a good light to fend off the darkness.

pepperbelly

Newly Enlightened
LightInDarkness said:
Save it to use as a club and purchase a good light to fend off the darkness.

I have been thinkng of one of the small lights, like a Streamlight or Surefire.
It seems like I should be able to do something inventive with my old one though.

Jim

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can take the switch out to clean the contacts on the top and bottom. Pry off the rubber switch cap with your fingers. Then slide a 5/64 or 2mm allen wrench into the middle of the switch button and loosen the set screw at the bottom (turn ccw until loose). Then slide the switch out the bottom of the tube. Clean up the contacts and make sure they extend out far enough for contact. If you have a multimeter that can check continuity, you can see if the switch is working. Or you can set it to resistance and check the resistance with the switch on and off. If the switch is good and the contacts can make good contact, the issue is probably with the spring or the threads on the tube of the light.

If you want to make a really cool light cheap and it's a 6D, try the ROP (Pelican 3854) bulb with a metal reflector and boro lens/window. Or use the low ROP bulb in an otherwise stock set up. If it's a 5D, you could drop 8 1/2D NiMH cells into it and run an 1185 bulb, but you would need a metal reflector and either FiveMega's bi-pin adaptor or a Kiu ceramic socket assembled into your switch. The 1185 with these cells would give you about 750 torch lumens and more than an hour of runtime.

Illum

Flashaholic
Lobo said:
How do you mean? I thought it was a fairly complicated but reliable set up. Can't find the thread, but have a recollection of someone taking it a part, and he was marvelled over how it was made, over 20 pieces.
Or are you talking about the switch cover?

the archived threads fairly old, I cant find it either

for switch disassembly refer to:
MAG-LITE® Switch Repair

EDIT: found another link that may be useful
How to change 2D/3D Maglite Switch?
http://www.orderoutdoors.com/msr_2.html

Last edited: