Sun Only Arc

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilAlex

Enlightened
Is this possible? Like, a reverse Arc XR?

Now, you can force this by using it in short bursts... And, I realize it would kill the battery really fast.

But... Is it possible? Can you hardwire it? Is this a user mod?

--Phil

Darell

Flashaholic
Nothing the consumer can do to modify the electronics, really. They're all sealed up. Closest thing you can do is buy an Opalec Newbeam conversion and stick it in a Minimag. Now, wouldn't a 3-LED, totally flat output unit like that be REALLY great on a single AA Arc body? Four or Five hours of bright, totally flat output?! I'm there. Add a dimmer and I'm there twice.

Oops... So the short answer is: No.

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darrel, send me two Opalecs, and I'll send you back one in a nice custom case.

It will be 1-AA sized, and your choice of an adapter for a 1-AA sized Arc-LS body, or a full-custom case. Which do you want?

Darell

Flashaholic
Wow!
shocked.gif

I'd be all over that *IF* I could be convinced that the Newbeam would work well enough from a 1.5V source. I can't imagine that it would, however. The step-up would need to be adjusted dramatically, I'm afraid, to do well on half the voltage for which it was designed.

If I could figure out a way to lock you, Don, Wayne and Kevin (oh, and a bunch of other guys - you know how you are) in a room together....well it just gives me goosebumps to imagine what would come out of there. How could we make that happen? Anybody got a room they want trashed. No windows is a plus.

If one of these electronic guys could come up with a flat-output regulator with dimmer for 1.5V, then we used three little 3mm LEDs in the head. A aingle AA battery compartment.... oh man. Where do I send the money?

So yes, I would LOVE to take you up on the offer, and I know you'd do a great job. I'm just afraid that the Newbeam wouldn't be up to the challenge in stock form.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Locked in a room without windows? I know you plan to kill me but not a slow death, please.........

Would someone explain to this dummy what a Sun only Arc is?

B@rt

Flashaholic
Sun Only Arc : Arc without moon mode, it goes from full output to darkness, after sucking all the possible energy out of it's battery.

At least, that's my guess...

Darell

Flashaholic
Think of an Arc with a Newbeam, and you've got the idea of a "sun only" Arc.

Yes, Ryan, there are a few zealots holding court on just such an animal. Ain't gonna happen anytime soon though. Peter isn't too thrilled with the complexity and reliability of a switch that'll perform those functions. He knows his lights have to survive me, and he doesn't want to take any chances just to shut me up temporarily.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Darell,
I had my own idea of an Arc Sun; Thanks of course to your influence....... And no, it doesn't work but maybe, some body could change that. Certainly not the likes of me. BTW, a solid head, shades of Inova might be pretty snappy. You mentioned AA but why not stay small with AAA/

ArcAAALLL.jpg

grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Well, if we put three LEDs in the thing, I think the capacity of an AA would be a better bet. But heck, I'll take anything at this point.

Give me a choice of TWO flat output levels in a little light, and I'm a happy camper. It can be one or two AAA's or AA's. Three LED's would be dreamy.

Saaby

Flashaholic
'groovy' in one post, 'dreamy' in this one...CPF IS GOING RETRO!! cool er umm...phycadellic

Empath

Flashaholic
Opelec's assembly has that little red LED for a reason. With it's regulation, it doesn't appear obvious when the batteries become exhausted to the unsafe point of risking leakage. I'm not sure of lithiums, but alkalines run an extreme risk of leaking once it's below about .7 or .8 volts. Opelec signals the danger with it's red LED.

A light running totally regulated and using the last few milliamps of power needs a disposable and isolated battery compartment. It's no longer a question of *if* the battery will leak. It's a question of *when* it will leak.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:

If I could figure out a way to lock you, Don, Wayne and Kevin (oh, and a bunch of other guys - you know how you are) in a room together....well it just gives me goosebumps to imagine what would come out of there. How could we make that happen? Anybody got a room they want trashed. No windows is a plus.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, there's an idea for something to do at the get-together next year. We rent a machine shop, lock 'em in there with a bunch of metal stock and LED assemblies, and make them trade mods for food..
rolleyes.gif

Oops, better shut up, before I start giving Darell ideas..

Disclaimer: It's a joke, Darell. No locking up our metalworking, modding geniuses. Got it? Darell? Darell? Get off the phone with that machine shop!
tongue.gif

Graham

Darell

Flashaholic
Trade for food? I want something good out of this! Great art always seems to come from desperate souls. I think I'll trade *air* for some good product. Renting a machine shope is expensive! Don't wanna be wasting our time here.

You produce, you breath. Sounds like a win-win situation to me. Who's in?

Saaby

Flashaholic
I can't come...but sounds fun anyway! Take lots of pics and keep all of us back home updated!

Saaby

Flashaholic
I know of a brick room without windows...You'd have to get them to Utah though, and get the School to agree...the Drivers ED classroom.

ALLClassrooms should have windows.

What about an Arc with a 4 way switch, or maybe you'd step through the "modes" with a button

Off
Auto (Works like a normal Arc)
Forced Sun
Forced Moon

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, I'm not sure I like the way this thread is heading...
smile.gif

Just gave it a little more consideration. I could make the Opalec in a 123 holder configuration, and then you would have your 3v in a nice compact size. Lithiums are fairly flat discharge anyway, so with the regulation from the Opalec as well, you wouldn't find much flatter a discharge curve than that, I'd guess. Awesome keychain light, brightness between the Arc-LS and Arc-AAA.

How about that, Darell? You'd just have to trade a couple of Opalecs, not air...
smile.gif
It's so difficult to transport, and all.
smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Doug,
That sounds like a great mod! If you should leave the bezel a 1" OD, the SF beam shaper coupled with the NewBeam makes an awesome reading light; no hot spots or black holes.

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, that sounds fine. I may do that, but the whole idea of the light would be compact and lightweight. I think putting beamshapers and whatnot on it would defeat the purpose. It will have to wait until Darell sends me the Opalecs, though.

Please email me if interested, Darell. We can arrange matters off-list.

Darell

Flashaholic
Man, this board just takes on a life of its own, doesn't it? I've been out all day, and I'm just barely catching up now...but I'm beat and can't trust myself to think much right now. So we'll revisit this when I'm awake.

The one thought I had, for what it's worth, is that the Newbeam is 100% flat already, and I'd love nothing more to have totally flat output out of an el-cheapo battery. But the 123 idea is a beauty, I must say... and more likely than not, we'll work something out. In the meantime, breath deeply.

Man...the more I think about it, the better this sounds, actually. Stay tuned. Hmmm. I suppose we should fire this topic up in a non-Arc thread at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.