FYI: View images without hotlinking

robm

Enlightened
Does this not have the same effect as normal hotlinking though - using the file hosted on the original site, and using their bandwidth?
So it is actually hotlinking and so against CPF rules?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Hmmm, acccording to the 1st link that PhotonBoy provided, it says:

When this is viewed, the image will be copied once to imgred.com, and from then on the image will always be served from imgred.com instead of the host site. Additionally, a thumbnail is automatically generated, which can be accessed by adding http://imgred.com/tn/ before the original URL.

Sounds to me like imgred.com is then merely acting like a photoserving site such as Photobucket or ImageShack...

Eh?

robm

Enlightened
My bad for having a suspicious mind, and not checking the link :oops:

It sounds like a 'top' idea :twothumbs - I wonder what imgred get out of it (will go and look at the website this time!)

[edit] - no mention of what is in it for them - maybe just being nice :)

I don't understand their business model though. :thinking:

Great minds and all that ;)

Last edited:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The images people are hotlinking are the most popular/viewed images. Eventually they will have a huge resevoir of images that people are viewing. There will be a way to make money out of that, maybe they'll just sell to google.

Hopefully they don't crash and make my posts look dumb.

Maybe a 'hotlink' button could be added/incorporated to the reply tools, and this site added to the link? Then the mods wouldn't have to explain to every user how the system works..