Clicky vs Twisty

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see there are many people here who hold an almost religious hatred for one switch mechanism.
Why? What makes a twisty so much different than a clicky?

I own both two clickies (L1S and an el-cheapo chinese LED honeycomb light) and a twisty (another chinese knockoff), and while I prefer the clickies, using the twisty doesn't bother me at all.
What I'm saying is that I can't see why one would be so adamantly opposed to a switch system. It seems a pretty unimportant matter to me... as long as it does its job, the way it does it is irrelevant.

Then again, I'm always open to the possibility that I'm just completely clueless, so any explanation would be appreciated :)

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fallingwater said:
.. as long as it does its job, the way it does it is irrelevant.

:)

And this could be the difference. As long we are in the civilization, around the house, be able to reclaim a failed switch, using another light from the many we have, a clicky-switch is more comfortable.

A well designed and constructed twisty-switch can not fail, that could be the important difference.

Best regards

____
Tom

xiaowenzu

Banned
I don't mind clickies as long as they're forward clickies. However my gripe is that ALL Chinese lights (Fenix, Lumapower, huntlight, etc) are reverse clickies. Why don't they make forward clickies like Maglites do? :(

I don't like twisties much because they usually require both hands free to operate. And they can't be use for signalling.

But they do have the advantage of being more robust than regular clickies.

LESLIEx317537

Newly Enlightened
Click lights are easier for one handed operations.

Twisty lights are normally shorter since the click mechanism takes up more space.

And yes, the reverse clicky is annoying on the Fenix's. Should be like the mag lights and foward click. Would be much easier to change modes.

Nocturnicus

Newly Enlightened
Depending on what the light is used for, the type of switch can be a very significant factor in choosing a light. In my work environment where I sometimes have to illuminate the interior of a large assembly (industrial robotics), I really don't care that much, as long as the switch works reliably and easily. But my most common use of lights outside of work is for walking in the dark. I love walking in the dark, often taking walks of several hours in pitch black conditions around my rural area. I actually enjoy the darkness, so I don't interrupt it by walking with the light constantly on - I just pulse the light on for maybe a second or so, every few minutes, just enough to show me anything I might want to know about (like a skunk or a bear) on the road ahead. A twisty would be very clumsy. And if I hear a sudden noise close by, I want to be able to spin and "fire" reflexively, something a twisty would be entirely useless for. I imagine that it would be the same for law enforcement types as well.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nocturnicus, for that I like Twisties with momentary pushbutton like the Surefire- or Babolight-Twisties.:)

Best regards

____
Tom

Nocturnicus

Newly Enlightened
Long John said:
Nocturnicus, for that I like Twisties with momentary pushbutton like the Surefire- or Babolight-Twisties.:)

Best regards

____
Tom

Yeah, that's a good combination. Twisties are also nice for lights like the P1D-CE where you've got five levels to select from.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Obviously, it is largely personal preference. I think some of the strong preference for one type over another can come from two extremes... either limited experience or a very specific need. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

Head twistie - Typically allows for the shortest possible light. Easy enough for one handed operation. Bad thing is, this means the 'switch point' and the light engine is in the same physical piece.

Tail twistie with momentary - Allows tactical type folks to act like SWAT members. Often has a lock out feature where the light cannot inadvertantly turned on in a pack or holster.

Forward tail clickie - perhaps the most intuitive switch, esp if you need often only need momentary light. Bad thing is, with the momentary-capable, if it is in a pack or holster and something presses against the switch, it can either become turned on temporarily or full turned on.

Reverse rear clickie - Still intuitive, but if something presses against the switch in a pack or holster, it will only remain on as long as there is enough pressure to keep it on.

I have three shelves of lights, plus a few in the cars. On the shelf of lights I actually ever use, I count 4 head twisties, 5 standard forawrd tail clickies, 2 forward barrel clickies, 4 tail twisties with momentary and one VB16 with the two barrel buttons to scroll up and down the levels. I can switch between them (pardon the pun) with little effort but if there was a situation where I were to have a handgun in one hand and a light in the other, it would absolutely be a tail twistie with momentary.

Again, while we all have our preferences, I find it hard to believe that intelligent people with no or minimal physical disabilities find it difficult or challenging to use one paprticular switch type over another. Is it really that much more difficult to select the levels on a L1D than on the P1D? The only light I ever accidentally skip past a level is on a modded G2 with a Flupic.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have many in both catagories and I like and dislike various facets of both designs. I'm glad that we may have both for different conditions and tasks.

With the exception of tail twisties and reverse clickies I value them all -- just personal preference.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have and use both styles, I tend to favor twisties for one reason only. I have never had a twistie failure, and I have had numerous clickie failures. Now before people howl, this is my personal experience only I am sure others have had just the opposite experience. However, since it is my experience, it naturally effects my personal choice.

Nocturnicus

Newly Enlightened
My favorite, actually, is neither - it's the side, or barrel, clicky. For me, walking with the light held in my hand in that position, and with the arm hanging naturally at my side, swinging it up to the aiming position requires moving through a smaller arc of motion than a light held in the "tactical" position. But, my current favorite walking light is my TSP, and I've gotten used to its tail switch.

thehappyman

Newly Enlightened
I actually prefer a twisty, unless is has multiple "modes". If it has multiple modes I'll take the clicky..... "forward clicky" sounds better.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Side Clickies for the larger lights, tail Clikies for AA lights and Twisties for AAA lights,
wouldn't have it any other way.

Nocturnicus

Newly Enlightened
TORCH_BOY said:
Side Clickies for the larger lights, tail Clikies for AA lights and Twisties for AAA lights,
wouldn't have it any other way.

I agree. A side clickie becomes too small to use comfortably when a light gets really small, and a light the size of a three-cell Mag would be pretty absurd with a tail clicky. Actually, my preference would be a telepathically actuated light, but I think I'll have to wait a few years for both that and the 50 amp-hour CR123 I've been dreaming of.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nocturnicus said:
I agree. A side clickie becomes too small to use comfortably when a light gets really small, and a light the size of a three-cell Mag would be pretty absurd with a tail clicky. Actually, my preference would be a telepathically actuated light, but I think I'll have to wait a few years for both that and the 50 amp-hour CR123 I've been dreaming of.

Come to think of it, the tail twistie was my least favorite of my FT3C even though it was the brightest LED light I had at that point.

Last edited:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nocturnicus said:
I love walking in the dark, often taking walks of several hours in pitch black conditions around my rural area. I actually enjoy the darkness, so I don't interrupt it by walking with the light constantly on - I just pulse the light on for maybe a second or so, every few minutes, just enough to show me anything I might want to know about (like a skunk or a bear) on the road ahead. A twisty would be very clumsy. And if I hear a sudden noise close by, I want to be able to spin and "fire" reflexively, something a twisty would be entirely useless for.

That exactly describes my use of a light while walking and why I greatly prefer a momentary clicky located on the body of the light.

I like to walk along with a light in my hand, turned off but ready for action. I keep my hand down at my side and swing my arm naturally as I walk. I keep a thumb on the light's momentary button, ready to instantly illuminate the path ahead.

There is no way for me duplicate this pattern of usage with a tail clicky light or a twisty head light. I've tried both for walking many times, and both switch styles are too clumsy for me to use comfortably.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love a tactical (or forward) clicky with plenty of movement before the switch clicks in place. It's a pleasure to use my surefire E1L. Even though there are smaller lights, nothing feels more comfortable and right. For EDC a forward clicky.. for a keychain light, a twisty is fine. I've had enough of reverse clickys and dislike them.